Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple sending me a "new, upgraded" laptop

Apple sending me a "new, upgraded" laptop (Page 3)
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I'd say he doesn't believe you. You've probably been flagged and now they think you're delusional or something.
yeah i would say that that could be case

i would say take it into the apple store and have them look at it. and if you continue to have problems take it to the apple store and have them send it in for you if they can
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

tcphoto
May 13, 2006, 07:42 AM

Alright, I'm curious to hear what has happened. Can we get an update?

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 07:12 PM

Just another story here.

Apple is replacing my 1.25 GHz 15" G4 PowerBook with a 1.83 15" MacBook Pro.

I took my G4 in for some screen issues and during the repair the logic board failed and when they repaired it, it failed again.

So they replaced it with the MacBook.

The is the second time I've had a laptop replaced. The first was an iBook. I had a 2 year old G3 iBook replaced with a G4 iBook after I had the same problem 5 times with the G3.

AppleCare rules.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bryanmc
Just another story here.

Apple is replacing my 1.25 GHz 15" G4 PowerBook with a 1.83 15" MacBook Pro.

I took my G4 in for some screen issues and during the repair the logic board failed and when they repaired it, it failed again.

So they replaced it with the MacBook.

The is the second time I've had a laptop replaced. The first was an iBook. I had a 2 year old G3 iBook replaced with a G4 iBook after I had the same problem 5 times with the G3.

AppleCare rules.
That's awesome. nothing like getting new upgrades without having to pay for them. Still, it would be annoying to have to go through the repair process.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
That's awesome. nothing like getting new upgrades without having to pay for them. Still, it would be annoying to have to go through the repair process.
I was without a laptop for a week, so that sucked.

But....I think it was worth it.

romeosc
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 11:28 AM

That's why I recommend buying or keeping an old Powerbook with all files backed up on external
firewire drive..

I bought a scratched up rough used 15" TiPB 1 GHz for $300.... great for spare in case of emergency!

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2006, 01:22 PM

yep. I have been without my machine for over a week but only because I hit the wrong end of the work week.

as much as people are hating on apple care for a new machine I am getting my replaced because of it. I sent it in once and was set to send it in again. but was told by a mac genius to ask for a replacement by phone. and I don't think its supposed to matter but when I spoke with customer relations I . she mentioned something like she was glad I had applecare and wanted to make sure I was happy. she said the only question was not whether it would be replaced but who would it, sales, mail-in repair, ect.

in the end she said the easiest would be sales by having it marked as DOA even though it was well more than two weeks old (it was a month and a half old). so that's what she did. I sent the machine in and as soon as she got the note that fedex has the machine she released the order and sent it express. unfortunately, the new machine missed the fedex cutoff in china, so I will have to wait till monday. blah.

I don't even care about like whether its upgraded or not I just want something that works and works well.
Computers:

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 14, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc
That's why I recommend buying or keeping an old Powerbook with all files backed up on external
firewire drive..

I bought a scratched up rough used 15" TiPB 1 GHz for $300.... great for spare in case of emergency!
I've got a G5 PowerMac, so I wasn't dead in the water.

Screech  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2006, 03:30 PM

Ugh.

We're going to take these guys to small claims. It's off the eighth repair, they acknowledge the problem, but they will not.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
yep. I have been without my machine for over a week but only because I hit the wrong end of the work week.

as much as people are hating on apple care for a new machine I am getting my replaced because of it. I sent it in once and was set to send it in again. but was told by a mac genius to ask for a replacement by phone. and I don't think its supposed to matter but when I spoke with customer relations I . she mentioned something like she was glad I had applecare and wanted to make sure I was happy. she said the only question was not whether it would be replaced but who would it, sales, mail-in repair, ect.

in the end she said the easiest would be sales by having it marked as DOA even though it was well more than two weeks old (it was a month and a half old). so that's what she did. I sent the machine in and as soon as she got the note that fedex has the machine she released the order and sent it express. unfortunately, the new machine missed the fedex cutoff in china, so I will have to wait till monday. blah.

I don't even care about like whether its upgraded or not I just want something that works and works well.
I'm glad that you're getting a new machine--I hope this one works better for you. A question though, what is the difference in service between getting a machine fixed under the 1 year warranty and having bought applecare? Do you they treat you better if you purchase the applecare? I know that applecare extends the coverage for 2 more years and you get phone support.

My plan is to replace my computer once per year just before the included one year warranty runs out. At that point, the selling price plus the extra cost of applecare usually comes within a few hundred dollars of the full price of a completely new machine. The new owner than has the option themselves to purchase the applecare if they want it. Do you know of anyone who does this?

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I'm glad that you're getting a new machine--I hope this one works better for you. A question though, what is the difference in service between getting a machine fixed under the 1 year warranty and having bought applecare? Do you they treat you better if you purchase the applecare? I know that applecare extends the coverage for 2 more years and you get phone support.

My plan is to replace my computer once per year just before the included one year warranty runs out. At that point, the selling price plus the extra cost of applecare usually comes within a few hundred dollars of the full price of a completely new machine. The new owner than has the option themselves to purchase the applecare if they want it. Do you know of anyone who does this?
In my experience you get treated a lot better if you have applecare than if you don't. I have always had applecare for all my apple products, and the treatment that I get is very different than those of my friends without it. even well within the one year warranty. at the same time I don't know from firsthand very much about treatment without it, I am glad I have not had to struggle with support the way other posters have. though of course I wish everyone the best of luck.

as for selling and applecare my guess is that a machine that is just under a year without applecare will no doubt sell better than one that is just over a year. but if you asked me, I would say not to bother if you plan to sell in less than year. if you start to have problems than maybe you should, but will the machine is running great and you don't plan to keep it beyond the year don't bother.

I am planning on keeping mine for 2 maybe 2.5 years (or until I run out of hd space whichever comes first)so it makes no real sense not to get applecare.
Computers:

dissapointed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2006, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
In my experience you get treated a lot better if you have applecare than if you don't. I have always had applecare for all my apple products, and the treatment that I get is very different than those of my friends without it. even well within the one year warranty. at the same time I don't know from firsthand very much about treatment without it...
Hmmmm. i think you've said it all there. Does having Applecare make a difference within the first year? Of course not. If it did, well, Apple would be breaking the law and hence in a fair amount of trouble. But anyway, can you give us some examples (or even one) of where you and your friends have had identical problems with warranty issues and you suceeded while they failed?

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2006, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by dissapointed
Hmmmm. i think you've said it all there. Does having Applecare make a difference within the first year? Of course not. If it did, well, Apple would be breaking the law and hence in a fair amount of trouble. But anyway, can you give us some examples (or even one) of where you and your friends have had identical problems with warranty issues and you suceeded while they failed?
well firstly, I don't think such different treatment is illegal or unique. most companies, if not all treat users who have paid for premium services than those who have not even for non premium issues. and most advertise that sort of special or unique treatment. I don't know if applecare does but I do know that procare definitely does. also, apple does reserve the right to either make a repair of replacement for any reason.

for one I consider get a machine being replaced as doa 4 weeks after the date an example. also not to long ago I had the sad smiley on my ipod. I went to the apple store soho for an appointment with my mac book pro and decided to see about getting my sad smiley fixed. without an appointment I went to the ipod bar and being a pro care member they looked at. now non appointment procare is only supposed to be 5 mins but they took it to the back and looked at it and did stuff to it had it back there for 15-20 min. and came back it was fixed good as new. I told my friend about this and he made me make an appointment for him. so I did but he was late and had to make his own. he was seen and the looked at his same smiley for a few minutes and told him he had to send it in.
is that illegal. no. the guy who saw me was nicer and more willing to go above and beyond. would they have been more willing to go above and beyond if my friend was procare member with applecare? likely. but that's why people pay for things like that. that's why companies have those kinds of things. definitely, they polite for my friend and did what was expected.

maybe I am just lucky (ha!) or maybe its any one other reasons for these things. this is just my experience and that's why make the choices that I do.
( Last edited by onlykaria; May 15, 2006 at 05:35 AM. )
Computers:

Screech  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 04:18 PM

More of nothing.

We are getting ready to file the small claim -- we haven't had contact with Nate at Apple yet.

I don't want to go through the wait of a small claim. Are there any other people I can call within Apple? Jean Toulouse didn't respond, the only person we can talk to is Nate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules