Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I upgrade?

Should I upgrade?
votoms888
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 05:48 PM

I am slowly switching over from the pcworld. I have a C2D iMac 20" and I just bought a G4 Powerbook 1.5 w/2gigs of Ram. I love the Powerbook but I am torn between selling it now, while it is still worth something and getting a MBP, or waiting for a new update first. I am really torn. I find the speed of the 1.5 good enough for my needs but I'd like the new high-rez screen and the C2D speed.

Is a G4 1.5 Powerbook fast enough to run Leopard well?

brother337
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by votoms888 View Post
I am slowly switching over from the pcworld. I have a C2D iMac 20" and I just bought a G4 Powerbook 1.5 w/2gigs of Ram. I love the Powerbook but I am torn between selling it now, while it is still worth something and getting a MBP, or waiting for a new update first. I am really torn. I find the speed of the 1.5 good enough for my needs but I'd like the new high-rez screen and the C2D speed.

Is a G4 1.5 Powerbook fast enough to run Leopard well?
No one knows, but the rumbling I've heard are that Leopard will be quicker than Tiger on Intel Macs while performance on PowerPC macs should be similar to Tiger.

I recently upgraded to a C2D Macbook from a Powerbook 1.5 (sold it to a friend) and the speed increase is incredible. The PB still did everything I needed to, and well, but when I visited my buddy and played around on the old PB again, it seemed unbearably slow to me. I'm spoiled now.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

votoms888  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 07:11 PM

What about a Macbook, non-pro? Would either the 1.83 or 2.0 give me much of a performance increase? I think the Macbooks only have the Intel 950 graphics sub-system though.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 07:23 PM

I think your machine will run Leopard great, much like it runs Tiger now. But the new MBs are slick!!!
My Blog-pakos.me

votoms888  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 08:30 PM

That's nice to know. However, I do notice how much snappier my iMac is.
iMac 20" Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz
Powerbook 15" G4 1.5ghz

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2007, 12:48 PM

If your PB does everything you need, the question is how much cash do you have for new toys?

votoms888  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
If your PB does everything you need, the question is how much cash do you have for new toys?
True that!!! I have a few extra bucks to play around with. I can always sell my Powermac G4 to subsidise it. I loaded Virtual PC 7.0 onto the computer last night. I haven't had time to play with it much. Anyone have experience with VPC 7.0 on a 1.5? I loaded parallels on my iMac yesterday and it is awesome. Pretty fast for what I need. I will only be using Parallels on my iMac to access my company's secure CRM site, as Safari and Firefox don't support it. That is why I need to be able to run Win XP on my Powerbook. I will see how VPC runs. If it is slower than death, than I will probably buy a refurbished CD Macbook from Apple.
iMac 20" Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz
Powerbook 15" G4 1.5ghz

mBurns
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2007, 01:44 PM

VPC is not nearly as fast as Parallels. I don't think you'll be happy with the performance.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2007, 08:17 PM

BootCamp will beat Parallel and VPeeCee hands down. XP runs better in BC then in an average PC. The down side is you will need to reboot. I hope Apple will come up with Parallel style side by side oses for x & XP.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2007, 08:30 PM

the powerbook is yesterday's news

get the C2D and make yourself happy and embrace the future of macintosh

Forum Links
Forum Rules