Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Federer/Nadal

Federer/Nadal
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2008, 02:33 PM

I've never participated in any tennis threads around here, although I love playing and also enjoy watching a good match.

This is great!

Currently deep in overtime!
ice

macdude
Jul 6, 2008, 03:11 PM

The ball/towel boys/girls seem like robots. The whole inferiority thing they have to do with the players is a bit strange.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2008, 04:26 PM

A great match with a disappointing finish. Roger just blew so many chances. He showed the heart of a champion, but he didn't make the shots he needed.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2008, 05:16 PM

such an amazing match.
best game i've seen for ages
we don't have time to stop for gas

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2008, 05:51 PM

I'm going to make a new username and call it GoRafa. Anyone who can wipe the smug grin off Federer's face is fine in my book. Here's to Nadal winning everything going for the next five years or more.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I'm going to make a new username and call it GoRafa. Anyone who can wipe the smug grin off Federer's face is fine in my book. Here's to Nadal winning everything going for the next five years or more.
Good luck with that one. He'll never win the US or Australian unless they slow them down like they did the grass.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
Good luck with that one. He'll never win the US or Australian unless they slow them down like they did the grass.
He's 22... in the next year or two you will see him adjust. I think he will adjust based on the fact his skill is at a high level and he is capable of such a feat.

Would you bet that he'll never win the other 2... ever?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post
He's 22... in the next year or two you will see him adjust. I think he will adjust based on the fact his skill is at a high level and he is capable of such a feat.

I am hesitant to revive once again the thread about the supposed "best player in tennis history"....

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 09:56 PM

A great match with a disappointing finish. Roger just blew so many chances. He showed the heart of a champion, but he didn't make the shots he needed.
Actually, if it had not been for the first rain delay, the game might have been over real early. Nadal was the better player today.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 11:27 PM

Agreed. If Federer hadn't made double the unforced errors that Nadal did, he would've easily beaten Nadal.

( Last edited by Spliff; Jul 6, 2008 at 11:34 PM. )

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post

I'd be willing to make that bet. There are two many dangerous players for him. Roger and Rafa have clearly been the best two players on clay and grass for the past 3 years. On hard courts, there are two many people who can attack him and put the points away. Between the noise, the speed of the court, and the crowds, I can't see him winning the US Open ever (and I doubt he'd even get to a final). He has a better shot at the Australian because it's so early in the season, but I wouldn't bet on it. His last two matches in those tournaments featured Ferrer and Tsonga blowing him off the court.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2008, 11:34 PM

Instant Classic.®

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Actually, if it had not been for the first rain delay, the game might have been over real early.
The first (in-match) rain delay helped Federer, but I think the second one helped Nadal.

Nadal was the better player today.
What kind of comment is that? He won! That obviously makes him the better player.

There were patches where Roger played about as well as I've ever seen him. Then again, there were plenty of patches where I was screaming things like "Slice the return!" or "Why the hell are you approaching to his backhand?" It's the same as always. Nadal is like the Energizer bunny. Federer can only beat him by playing at a sustained level just shy of perfect. He has to be extremely aggressive without making too many unforced errors. As anyone who plays tennis can tell you, that's not an easy task. Well, there's always the U.S. Open. Nadal will probably take the #1 ranking some time in September and I doubt Roger will be able to get it back until after the Australian.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2008, 11:58 PM

Men's tennis is so bleh these days. As great as they may be, there's no life in it. Gimme the days of McEnroe and Connors, thank you very much.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Men's tennis is so bleh these days. As great as they may be, there's no life in it. Gimme the days of McEnroe and Connors, thank you very much.

Wait, you aren't serious, are you?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2008, 03:50 AM

Nadal is like the Energizer bunny.
Hehe .

Sig changed in honour of the 'Energizer Bunny'

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 03:07 PM

Don't you mean Borg and McEnroe?

Also, McEnroe called yesterday's match the greatest he's ever seen. Which is pretty high praise from someone who was involved in what many previously called the greatest match ever: Borg v McEnroe at Wimbledon.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2008, 04:23 PM

I dunno. The late run Jimmy made at the US open was pretty epic. This was a great tennis final but overall that side of the sport is really hurting for storylines, imo.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2008, 05:45 PM

I dunno. The late run Jimmy made at the US open was pretty epic. This was a great tennis final but overall that side of the sport is really hurting for storylines, imo.
How much do you watch? That just seems like a really strange comment from someone who watches men's tennis with any sort of regularity. There are nothing but storylines: Federer and Nadal threatening to break a record at almost every tournament, Djokovic breaking through and challenging the top 2, huge runs by young French phenoms (Tsonga and Monfils), American tennis in decline (despite having two top-10 players), Spain's resurgence (7 of the top 25), Safin playing great tennis again... Hell, the drama between Federer and Nadal alone is amazing. Mathematically, an injury is the only thing that will keep Nadal from taking over the #1 ranking at some point this year. Seeing how Roger responds and whether he can break Sampras's record is captivating IMO.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2008, 06:06 PM

Best match? Not in my opinion. My favorite is the `89 French Open.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 06:27 PM

I have to agree with lavar78, there is a lot of amazing tennis being played right now. I'm far from a diehard and don't watch many matches, but there's been some serious competition the past year.

Not so long ago, Federer was considered invincible; but that aura has been stripped away now. While mono definitely affected his Aussie performance, I don't know if you can argue that it hurt him at Wimbledon. He's been well for quite a while now.

I think it's just another classic case of Americans not caring because none of our players are very significant right now.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Forum Links
Forum Rules