Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Samsung mimics Apple product promos in Galaxy S III video

Samsung mimics Apple product promos in Galaxy S III video
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 24, 2012, 02:10 AM

Samsung has put together a promotional video for the Samsung Galaxy S III that instantly recalls the product promos that Apple issues to accompany its product launches. The video features a number of the product designers from the Galaxy S III adding their thoughts on the depth of their design inspiration and how they drew from nature in the design of the product, through to the user experience. The timing of its release is also interesting, with the jury still out in the trial between it and Apple, it as though Samsung is trying to highlight the independent thinking and effort exerted in creating the Galaxy S III.

However, as much as as the Galaxy S III may be unique in its design approach, the whole tone and style of the clip, particularly when the music begins, is very much in the tradition of Apple's promo clips. Despite this distraction, the methods and processes on display are quite impressive, particularly the shots of the phone being assembled on the production line. Throughout the promo clip, various members of the Galaxy S III extol the virtues of the device and the design philosophy that apparently unified their efforts. Interspersed with shots of the team and shots of the device being manufactured are cuts to scenes of nature and of water flowing. This is reflected in much of the commentary from team members keen to pursue Samsung's marketing message which suggests that the phone has been inspired by nature in order to humanize the Galaxy S III so as to help users engage with the device on an emotional level. "At the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore I was amazed at the harmony of the sky, the cityscape, and the water," says Songwho. "I wanted to express the amazing aspect of the water that is about to overflow from the Galaxy S III's window," he adds. "During the trip, I also happened to witness the pebbles in a stream sparkling under the sunlight, and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to capture the flow of water and the reflection of the light into the design of the phone."

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 24, 2012, 03:21 AM

LOL!! Is there no self-respect at Samsung?!!

FYI, here's their revised logo...

5168/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

gprovida
Aug 24, 2012, 04:13 AM

Between copying hardware, software, Apple Stoe, and now commercials, do they realize how hypocritical they appear. Do they believe if the do this enought, then they will be able to persuade people they are not copycats and are innovators?

It's absolutely embarrassing that a company that does have great innovations is so slavish in copying Apple. No pride and no honor seem to rule the day.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2012, 05:18 AM

For a moment I thought I was watching yet another spoofs from Conan Talk Show. The video sounds so "after thought" and b-u-l-l c-r-a-p. You basically can slap any product in it and claim its inspiration coming from a dead tree or water sewage. Samsung, you are so original in copycat.

Sooner or later we will have Apple Store, Microsoft Store, Google Store and Samsung Store (plus RIM as small booth in middle of them all) as neighbors in your local shopping mall.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2012, 05:26 AM

2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

aSevie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2012, 07:11 AM

It's a cultural thing for them, why innovate when you can just copy something that was already done successfully...like and iPhone for example!

Foe Hammer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2012, 07:13 AM

Samsunk.

Scamsung.

Whatever.

They know no originality, no design and no shame.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2012, 07:41 AM

Absolutely despicable. How can anyone support a company like this??? Well, other than freudling and wrenchy....
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by chefpastry View Post
Absolutely despicable. How can anyone support a company like this??? Well, other than freudling and wrenchy....
It's called astroturfing. Some people are paid to post and defend companies regardless the circumstances or to attack others.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

VoRTeX15O
Aug 24, 2012, 08:02 AM

Utterly disgusted by this. So they think that by making this commercial they can persuade the public they do real innovation?

I gotta tell ya, when Asians put their mind to anything, they will follow it slavishly. When they copy, they're the best at it.

Nothing original ever comes from them. Believe me because I am Asian and I come from this culture.

I hope the American justice system can make an example out of them and give them the best medicine for their pattern of behavior.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2012, 08:09 AM

If a video of the Samsung stores -- along with this promo -- were entered into evidence at the Samsung-Apple trial, there would be no question of guilt or damages. I notice that our usual pro-Samsung (paid?) shills are mysteriously quiet on this one: mostly likely because they know they have no case.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

simdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2012, 09:08 AM

Does Samsung truly NOT get the irony of posting a video so similar to Apple's marketing to show they innovate instead of copy? Wow. I wonder if their lawyers copied Apple in their arguments?

smoak5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2012, 09:27 AM

Let me start by saying that I enjoy Apple products and their whole presentation of products and agree with the fact that Samsung has some serious issues with copying products from apple, but that video that Samsung put out can be viewed as a generic video. Apple did not event B-roll footage, dolly track shots, documentary interview styles with cool indie music in the background. This is a popular style used throughout marketing. So what if samsung uses this vidoe style. It is not a trademark Apple style. Lets not get too out of control thinking everything Samsung does is to copy apple...(although I would agree a lot is similar.) The video is not even that good so who cares. Apple's product launch video are also boring too. All this talk of magical devices, nature inspried blah blah...its a piece of electronic equipment that is a tool (although most people use it to do inane things like facebook pictures of stupid things, tweet unimportant tidbits that make us feel so important, etc.)

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2012, 11:53 AM

The first thing that came to mind while watching this "commercial" was there must have been a bs essay contest within Samsung. Second place started with:...As I was sitting on the toilet after a long evening of drinking fine Korean beers, I could only think of water flowing out of me into the abyss and below me I saw reflections bouncing on the surface of the water from......

Manaka59
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2012, 02:40 PM

Well, If Samsung truly wanted to live up to the tagline from the end of the video "Make it Meaningful" they should have released this video months ago. Definitely well before the testimony presented at the trial, that essentially became the theme of the video. More revisionist theory at work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules