Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 144)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
And a much better control scheme option than the competition which was a generation behind in interactivity(at least until they release their copies).
Complete hogwash. The Wiimote is a step behind in interactivity, the Wii Motion Plus is evidence of this. The control scheme of flailing your arms in no discernible manner is miles behind what we already had. Not to mention when you have to actually push buttons, which is all the time in most Wii games, you have to use + - 1 and 2 and the tiny D-pad. Overall the Wiimote gets a C- from me. The motion sensing is terrible, the motion needed to perform a certain function can vary wildy, and the actual buttons on the unit and their size/shape/designation is retarded.

If Nintendo had literally released just a GCN+Wiimote they would'nt have my support, but the fact that they released a balanced product and didnt JUST focus on one aspect(*cough*power*cough*) makes it an overall better product imo. (take the product's success as factual proof).
That's exactly what it is, a GCN plus sh!tty motion controls. What else does the Wii have over the GC in your opinion? What exactly makes it more balanced then just a GC with Motion Controls?
( Last edited by sek929; Sep 9, 2009 at 12:15 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 12:08 PM

Double-post
( Last edited by sek929; Sep 9, 2009 at 12:14 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 12:25 PM

yet Conduit and GHWT could be considered a level above all other Wii software (online, visuals, DLC, etc...what people didnt think possible on the system (and apparently some still do)).
If Conduit is considered above the other Wii software it just goes to show how pathetic the Wii's titles are. I've played Conduit extensively and here's my take of a game that would benefit from better control and upgraded visuals.

Conduit controls like garbage. Conduit has decent graphics for the enemies, but the backgrounds and building textures are AWFUL. All the visuals are extremely simplified. The action is tired and the Wiimote detracts, as usual, from the gameplay. The online matchmaking is buggy, resulting in crashing the Wii 50% of the time when looking for a match. No voice chat and an extremely buggy lobby system make this game grovel before the likes of Halo 2 on the original Xbox.

You keep asking why somebody would continue to support a system with a 30% failure rate, here's why. The games mesh seamlessly with Xbox Live, which is a magnificent service. People complain about paying for XBL, but at 50 dollars for a year I don't mind at all paying for a supreme service. Sure the Wii's online gaming is free, but it deserves to be due to it overall lack of fit and finish.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That's exactly what it is, a GCN plus sh!tty motion controls. What else does the Wii have over the GC in your opinion? What exactly makes it more balanced then just a GC with Motion Controls?
The wiimote is not JUST motion controls and small buttons. it's also:
-a control scheme for 2 *separate* hands
-it has pointing functionality
-a speaker
-'expandability'

None of which are on the other controllers (and the six axis only had motions cause they had to rush to copy the idea the best they could at the time)....but they will copy it all eventually.

So we go from the GCN being 2 GCNs duct taped together to it just being a GCN ? have a look at the tech specs of both systems if you dont have a clue before yelling nonsence.

As far as the 'system'...over the GCN..... bluetooth, USB, Wi-Fi, the virtual console, the SDHC card support, the smaller size, the better power management, the support for DVD-DL discs, complete backwards compatibility to the NES.... just to name a few off the top of my head.

do you even know or have ever even used a Wii ? or did u just happen to forget all than when posting ?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2009, 03:05 PM

If Conduit is considered above the other Wii software it just goes to show how pathetic the Wii's titles are. I've played Conduit extensively and here's my take of a game that would benefit from better control and upgraded visuals.

Conduit controls like garbage. Conduit has decent graphics for the enemies, but the backgrounds and building textures are AWFUL. All the visuals are extremely simplified. The action is tired and the Wiimote detracts, as usual, from the gameplay. The online matchmaking is buggy, resulting in crashing the Wii 50% of the time when looking for a match. No voice chat and an extremely buggy lobby system make this game grovel before the likes of Halo 2 on the original Xbox.

You keep asking why somebody would continue to support a system with a 30% failure rate, here's why. The games mesh seamlessly with Xbox Live, which is a magnificent service. People complain about paying for XBL, but at 50 dollars for a year I don't mind at all paying for a supreme service. Sure the Wii's online gaming is free, but it deserves to be due to it overall lack of fit and finish.
I was saying that Conduit looks better than other third party efforts on the Wii and much better than GCN games. can you even read ? i never said it was as good as the visuals on the XB360/PS3. but it just happens to do bump mapping and HDR lighting that things third parties said wernt possible....if they are lazy/cheep/incapable doesnt mean its not possible, just like DLC is possible. so dont short change the system, just cause one incompetent developer says so.

And if you are saying that the Conduits controls suck....buddy, ur stuck in the past, and remind me of those nerds back in the day who thought GUIs were not as good as the DOS prompt(probably cause only they knew how to use it, and so felt empowered or something other bs). you're entitled to your opinion, but ur wrong lol.

And to reiterate.......i never said the Wii's power/graphics are as good as the PS3/XB360. i just said it's better than last generation and 'good enough' for now, hence the fact that most people dont winge about it as much as gaming-nerds like yourself.

As far as motion controls.... if you dont like it, quickly go write to Sony and Microsoft and make sure they dont implement Nintendo's idea as defaults into their offerings, i can only imagine how pissed off you'd be when(not if) that happens. Also, in care ur dyslexic or something... 'the motion controls are NOT mandatory. there are several options available for developers.' Motion controls in the Wii are not an end-all control scheme, just as the D-pad, analog stick, rumble, speaker, didnt completely replace buttons. if you do not like the way a game has used the motion controls, blame the game, ot the system for offering up the option to make use of them. sheesh, are you 8 ?

Why would i want to pay for a service i can have for free, if the developers actually make use of it (like in the Conduit, MH3, GH, Mario Kart, SSBB, etc...) ? if your a fanboy who spends so much time gaming, maybe it's worth it, but most people wouldnt bother getting online on a console to play, let along pay a subscription for it. go ahead pay for badly engineered product with near no quality control and for a service thats free on the competition... your obviously the 'target' market for Microsoft lol.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 03:33 PM

No...Conduit's controls suck.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2009, 04:07 PM

Will Americans eventually get (WiiWare) Konami's Driift?. That game is so fun it should be available everywhere.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2009, 04:10 PM

Enough with the "fanboy," "go buy yourself a pair" and so on, folks. This thread is not for attacking people whose opinions differ from yours. Any more and bans are likely.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 06:15 PM

None of which are on the other controllers (and the six axis only had motions cause they had to rush to copy the idea the best they could at the time)....but they will copy it all eventually.
A speaker on the controller, wow! Amazing!

So we go from the GCN being 2 GCNs duct taped together to it just being a GCN ? have a look at the tech specs of both systems if you dont have a clue before yelling nonsence.
I'm not interested in tech specs, I've used the Wii and seen what games look like for it. GC games look the same.

As far as the 'system'...over the GCN..... bluetooth, USB, Wi-Fi, the virtual console, the SDHC card support, the smaller size, the better power management, the support for DVD-DL discs, complete backwards compatibility to the NES.... just to name a few off the top of my head.
It supports DVD-DL discs? Then why the hell can't it play DVDs?

do you even know or have ever even used a Wii ? or did u just happen to forget all than when posting ?
I've used the Wii a decent amount at friends houses. One of my buddys just got Conduit and I played that extensively too. These are called 'opinions' that I have.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2009, 06:24 PM

It probably can't play DVDs because Nintendo didn't want to pay for a license for a feature that's not essential to playing the games.
Chuck
___

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 06:26 PM

And if you are saying that the Conduits controls suck....buddy, ur stuck in the past.
I'll live in the past, a past where I could actually control my movements without gimmicky bullsh!t. What always bugs me about the Wiimote is the slow sensing speed to player motion in-game. In Conduit you shake either 'mote to throw grenades/melee respectively. The only problem is that you've finished your motion before the game even starts to display your characters motion. This kills the immersion, if I'm supposed to be the one melee-ing why don't my motions directly and instantly correspond to what I see on the screen?

Also, in care ur dyslexic or something... 'the motion controls are NOT mandatory. there are several options available for developers.' Motion controls in the Wii are not an end-all control scheme, just as the D-pad, analog stick, rumble, speaker, didnt completely replace buttons. if you do not like the way a game has used the motion controls, blame the game, ot the system for offering up the option to make use of them. sheesh, are you 8?
Haha, blame the games. At this point every game I've ever played for the Wii has had poor to terrible use of the motion controls. That's a system-wide problem at this point, otherwise why did they release the Wii Motion PLus?

If your a fanboy who spends so much time gaming, maybe it's worth it, but most people wouldnt bother getting online on a console to play, let along pay a subscription for it.
Most people? You do realize just how many Mac users here pay and play on XBL, right? Most people recognize when something is worth paying for, which is why REAL gamers scoff at the Wii.

Also, stop with the goddamned fanboy crap, it's really getting to be an epidemic with you. If I love games and play hundreds of hours online I'm a gamer, buddy, not a fanboy. I know you don't understand what real gamer culture is like because you bought the Wii, and supported the GC heavily.

I see no comment on Conduit's online matchmaking freezing the console all the time, I guess you must have forgotten.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
No...Conduit's controls suck.
Nope. imo, MP3C's controls are second only to the mouse+keyboard, and conduit, with it's customizability take it to the next level.

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Enough with the "fanboy," "go buy yourself a pair" and so on, folks. This thread is not for attacking people whose opinions differ from yours. Any more and bans are likely.
Fair enough. no need to threaten me, but i hope your warning applies to everyone, and not just me.

Sek,
get out of the past man. your definition of what a 'gamer' is, is flawed. anyone who plays a video game is a gamer, be it GoW, mario bros or wii fit. Get over the elitist stand and realize that your way to enjoy this form of entertainment is not the 'best' or the only way it should be, and that unfortunately in your case the masses...mostly new 'gamers' have voted against sticking with the archaic way of 'gaming', even the companies you 'support', have begun to move away.

Don't attack the messenger, im just telling you how it is right now. whether you(any of you) like it or not, is your problem.

The sad part is, even if Nintendo released a console that was comparable to the PS3, i'll bet this discussion would still be going on.

Anyway, carry on.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 09:34 AM

The sad part is, even if Nintendo released a console that was comparable to the PS3, i'll bet this discussion would still be going on.
And this is what it all boils down to. You think that everyone here is simply anti-Nintendo, no matter what was released. In reality, no one here is anti-Nintendo. If Nintendo had released an HD-capable console with decent online networking capabilities and without a gimmicky control scheme? There'd be some drastically different opinions around here.

From reading all the posts, everyone here seems to be pro-gaming, no matter what console it is on. And until Nintendo gets some decent games, it won't be on the Wii.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2009, 09:49 AM

. your definition of what a 'gamer' is, is flawed. anyone who plays a video game is a gamer, be it GoW, mario bros or wii fit.
Currently around the industry and in popular culture i would say that YOUR definition of "gamer" is flawed. "Gamers" are (as majority) a dedicated group of people that play video games on more than a regular basis, purchasing games whenever possible and open to most all great gaming experiences (without dedication to a single company). Your definition utilizing the consumers who play Wii Fit and Wii Sports once/twice a week are not "gamers" its what the industry describes as "casual gamers". The "casual gamer" is a immense market in the gaming world because most people were not "gamers" before the Wii, and that is why it works for nintendo. I would say that the majority of the "gamers" on this forum (myself, dakar, fatty, stogie...etc etc etc) are not tied to the xbox 360 based on it being an xbox but because of the quality of titles and its ability to create a well rounded and well designed gaming experience.

If you want to play Wii sports every couple days with your mom and have your Wii collect dust (no dvd playback, no netflix, no extras). Enjoy!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
And this is what it all boils down to. You think that everyone here is simply anti-Nintendo, no matter what was released. In reality, no one here is anti-Nintendo. If Nintendo had released an HD-capable console with decent online networking capabilities and without a gimmicky control scheme? There'd be some drastically different opinions around here.

From reading all the posts, everyone here seems to be pro-gaming, no matter what console it is on. And until Nintendo gets some decent games, it won't be on the Wii.
Talking to Hawkeye is like arguing with a brick wall.

I say more than half of my favorite games were Nintendo exclusives and I still get called an Xbox fanboy. I still game in SD so a PS3 is pointless for me, not to mention some 360 exclusives on XBL were a huge draw to get me to buy a next-gen system anyways. My first unit failed after I already owned 5 games, so in Hawkeye's world he'd just take the 300 dollar hit and buy a whole new system with games he didn't feel like playing.

I sit here and call the 360 a POS quality-wise and then he says the same thing, as if it were news to me...then touts sales numbers for a gimmicky underpowered girlfriend pleaser as if a real gamer like myself could actually have fun playing the Wii.

If I owned the Wii I wouldn't have a single game I own now, except for COD WaW, with no Co-op, or Nazi Zombies. That's simply ludicrous considered how much I've played and loved my library of games...

Fallout 3 (250+ hours)
Halo 3 (2200 match-made games)
Forza 3 (beaten three times)
Orange Box (hundreds of hours across all 5 games)
GTA IV (never finished, still over 100 hours in)
CoD WaW (100 hours in Nazi Zombies alone)

I'm a gamer, a real gamer. It's fine to be a casual gamer, whatever floats your boat, but don't try to pass off the Wii as a gamer's machine, it isn't. The Wii is a family/group/girlfriend friendly home device that's tapped into a massive market as yet unexplored by game consoles. The problem is, by making a machine appeal to people who aren't gamers, you've alienated gamers by having a simplistic sloppy motion-control system and overall shoddy games. The first attempt at anything groundbreaking usually isn't very polished. The 360 was the first next-gen system and it was rife with problems, the Wii was the first system to use motion controls and it shows.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2009, 10:59 AM

Friday News: NPD Time, Bitches

August NPD: PS3 sales soar as gamers go batty for Arkham Asylum in a Madden world

-DS: 553K 14K (+2%)
-Wii: 277K 24K (+9%)
-360: 215K 12K (+6%)
-PS3: 210K 88K (+72%)
-PSP: 140K 17K (+13%)
-PS2: 106K 2K (-2%

Madden NFL 10 - 360 - EA - 928K
Wii Sports Resort (w/ Wii Motion Plus) - Wii - Nintendo - 754K
Madden NFL 10 - PS3 - EA - 665K
Batman: Arkham Asylum* - 360 - Eidos - 303K
Batman: Arkham Asylum* - PS3 - Eidos - 290K
Madden NFL 10 - PS2 - EA - 160K
Dissidia: Final Fantasy - PSP - Square Enix - 130K
Wii Fit (w/ Balance Board) - Wii - Nintendo - 128K
Mario Kart (w/ Wheel) - Wii - Nintendo - 120K
Fossil Fighters - DS - Nintendo - 92K

NPD Instant Analysis: Things You Should Note - Sales - Kotaku
Madden Ennui: EA's annual hit football series posted big numbers on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2, but there's no sign of the Wii edition, despite the series being re-retooled. How many more times does EA have to re-invent the series before it clicks with the Wii audience, who, this top 10 list indicates, have nothing against certain types of sports games?

The Gap Closed: A $100 price drop didn't enable the PlayStation 3 to out-sell the Xbox 360, but it's possible that people were waiting to buy a Slim. The redesigned system wasn't available in many regions until after the 8/29 conclusion of the August sales month. Regardless, the Wii didn't even beat the Xbox 360 by that much, bunching the Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo systems at 210,000, 215,400 and 277,400. It's getting cozy there.

---

Forza 3 goes gold, demo hits Marketplace on Sept. 24

Left 4 Dead 2 boycotters flown to Valve; boycotters boycot original boycotters

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2009, 12:09 PM

Forza 3 (beaten three times)
Considering this...

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
THAT is a hardcore gamer.

P.S. I assume you ment Forza 2

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2009, 01:21 PM

Yes indeed, Forza 2 that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2009, 01:31 PM

Console Gaming: The Lag Factor

In case someone might find this interesting. The lag they refer to is not internet related, but hardware (input) related.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2009, 03:50 PM

Wouldn't that be more of a programming issue, since you get various latencies across different games on the same platform?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2009, 03:53 PM

Mmmm... you're right. I think what I was trying to say was unlike internet lag, where you can execute things on your screen but they don't register, here its executing things on your controller and how long they take to register in your game.

I can't manage to clean it up to something simple and comprehensible.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2009, 03:54 PM

It's a combination. The article says there's a minimum lag that you can't eliminate.
Chuck
___

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It's a combination. The article says there's a minimum lag that you can't eliminate.
I have to wonder if wireless introduces much. I remember when the WaveBird debuted they praised it because previous third-party solutions had had discernible lag.

I'll sometimes notice lag when using a wireless mic, but I assume this is because a voice is way more info than a button press (Or MS makes shitty hardware – always a possibility).

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2009, 04:05 PM

I wish they would have tested Gears of War 2 in the article. I would like to see how it stacks up to Halo 3 in controller lag.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2009, 04:06 PM

We're not talking internet lag, foo'

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2009, 04:06 PM

Last night I rediscovered just how freakin' good people playing Madden online actually are. Are there any games you guys see people playing online who are on a completely different level than you?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2009, 04:29 PM

Well we all know that Fatty pwns in Halo, but I also get pwned in CoD online. I once played DOA 4 online and somebody started the match with a 28 hit combo against me which resulted in instant death.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2009, 04:30 PM

Nothing like the internet to remind you that you will never be the best, and sometimes, the average.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2009, 06:20 PM

Anybody pick up The Beatles: Rock Band? I was going to wait for the price to drop, but I've been bored on vacation so I picked it up (instead of playing the 10+ unopened games I have). I was surprised at how good it was. My interest in the music game genre was waning, but this game definitely reinvigorated it. Love it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2009, 06:35 PM

You must not check you friends list.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2009, 08:56 PM

We're not talking internet lag, foo'
I know. The game is still laggy during local games. At least for me.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
You must not check you friends list.
He does but you're not on it. Burn

I'm curious, which game do you like better? Beatles or Batman?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2009, 09:14 PM

No he's right, I never check my friends list.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 14, 2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Um, that's sort of Apples and Oranges, isn't it?

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
No he's right, I never check my friends list.
As far as I've seen, you and I are the only NNers with it.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2009, 10:38 AM

I love it. There are only 3 songs I can't beat on expert drums, and it just so happens they're in three different challenges. Should be able to get all the pictures today, then it's off for some achievement whoring.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 14, 2009, 10:39 AM

I'll be lucky to get half the achievements in the game. I am not a hard core music game player.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Last night I rediscovered just how freakin' good people playing Madden online actually are. Are there any games you guys see people playing online who are on a completely different level than you?
In the same night playing either CoD4 or CoD:WaW I can pwn or be pwned. One game I can get 25 kills for 3 deaths, then the next I start with 10 straight deaths. I have noticed during some marathon sessions where say 5 or 6 players stay on for a good while, that I am not alone in this. Rarely does someone pwn non-stop all night.

Except in Hardcore Search and Destroy - which I hate. There are some seriously good S&D players on the net.

Even if I play the same map several times during a session, I can sometimes do very well and sometimes do very badly. As I said in the MW2 thread, this doesn't always depend on my ping either - although in general having a sh1tty ping doesn't make the game fun.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2009, 12:23 PM

I'll be lucky to get half the achievements in the game. I am not a hard core music game player.
Playing through Helter Skelter on drums I got 98% first time through. I think the 100% achievement is achievable there, although it's going to take some practice.

I'm thinking I'll top out at around 500-600 before I move on to another game.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post

Um, that's sort of Apples and Oranges, isn't it?
Can we hereby resolve that "Beatles and Batman" is the new "apples and oranges"? The latter has been so played for so long…

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2009, 01:27 PM

I like it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2009, 11:38 AM

Kotick strikes me as one of those, "I'd rather be feared than loved" kind of guys.
Activision games to bypass consoles - News at GameSpot

He later added, "We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

If that sounds like it would create a corporate culture that isn't all sunshine and hugs, then it's "mission accomplished" for Kotick. The executive said that he has tried to instill into the company culture "skepticism, pessimism, and fear" of the global economic downturn, adding, "We are very good at keeping people focused on the deep depression."

Here's some interesting fodder for the console wars.
MAJORITY OF GAMERS RELY ON WORD OF MOUTH AND HANDS-ON PLAY AT FRIENDS' AND RELATIVES' HOMES TO OBTAIN INFORMATION ON VIDEO GAMES

Cross-Ownership
According to the reports, among Wii owners in the United States (who represent 32 percent of all gamers), 14 percent also own a PlayStation 3, and 26 percent own an Xbox 360. Among PlayStation 3 owners (who currently represent 10 percent of all gamers), 42 percent own a Wii and 34 percent own an Xbox 360. However, among Xbox 360 owners (20 percent of all gamers), 42 percent own a Wii, but only 18 percent own a PlayStation 3.

Gamer Demographics
When looking at those personally playing video games on the current generation video game consoles (Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360), 56 percent are male and 44 percent are female, with the largest percentage of gamers being in the 2-to-12 year old age group (24 percent), followed by the 25-to-34 year old group at 20 percent, and the 35-to-44 year old group at 17 percent.

Online versus Offline Genre Preference
The three current-generation consoles follow the same gaming trend in online play by genre, with 51 percent of Wii users claiming Card/Puzzle/Arcade/Word games is their most commonly played genre. This genre of game is also popular with Xbox 360 and PS3 online gamers(39 percent and 42 percent, respectively), but Shooters ranked as the most commonly played for online gameplay among 360 and PS3 users, at 59 percent and 57 percent, respectively.

Offline gaming is significantly different for all three platforms, with Family-oriented games topping the list for Wii, followed by Racing and Sports games. For Xbox 360, Family-oriented and Action/adventure tie at number one as the most commonly played genres for offline gameplay. For PlayStation 3 gamers, Action/adventure and Racing top the list of commonly played genres to play offline.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2009, 10:20 AM

Well, im kinda tired of waiting for "AAA" games on the Wii, and im seriously considering a PS3. (yes i know i will probably eat crow for this for a longgg time )....

I'm in a PAL territory, and i need advice on which one would be the best to shop around for:
-i need to be able to play Okami, Shadow of the Collosus, Ico and GT4.
-Storage space isnt paramount as i wont be downloading a lot.
-I'd like to playback my H.264(non iTunes) video and AAC/MP3s via the PS3 if possible.

What do you guys recommend ?
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2009, 10:35 AM

Wednesday News

Not technically the place for it, but in case MacUser is watching...
PC Sales Charts: Still With The MMOs - Sales Charts - Kotaku

PC Digital Download Charts For The Week Ending September 12

Steam

1. Aion Collector's Edition (pre-sale)
2. Champions Online
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
4. Left 4 Dead
5. Street Fighter IV
6. Braid
7. Counter-Strike: Source
8. Darkest of Days
9. Section 8
10. Aion Standard Edition (pre-sale)

Direct2Drive

1. Champions Online
2. Aion Collector's Edition (pre-sale)
3. Fallen Earth (pre-sale)
4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
5. Aion Standard Edition (pre-sale)
6. Section 8
7. Civilization 4: The Complete Edition
8. Civilization 4
9. Darkest of Days
10. The Sims 3

PSP Go refused by game retailer as Blockbuster fiddles
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things they're probably a nobody, but if you wonder why MS is pussyfooting around with their Games on Demand and GameStop gets endless stuff for pre-order promotions in the face of the Developers bitching about used sales ripping them off, this is why.

(Note: I'd love to see an breakdown of industry software and hardware sales by retailer. Is GameStop really that dominant? Between Wal•Mart, Best Buy, and Amazon a decent chunk of sales have to be made, right?)

Something tells me this is a big reason the PS3 fell flat from the outset (Outside of the, you know, price.)
http://kotaku.com/5360375/japanese-developer-microsoft-making-ps3-development-easier-[update]
A blogger who was apparently a developer on the title explains why the game was originally developed for the Xbox 360. "For developers, it's way easier to develop for the 360," the blogger writes. Developers sign a one year contract, the blogger continues, with Microsoft that states the game will not come out on other platforms for one year. "Microsoft provides sufficient development funs," the dev writes. "Support is fast and all encompassing."

According to the apparent dev, "Sony Computer Entertainment doesn't really provide money (maybe no money). Support is a mess and unreliable. (At the time I was involved)"

Turns out the 250GB Super Elite is a special offer
$399 Modern Warfare 2-themed Xbox 360: 250GB HDD, wireless controllers, game
(The, uh, ModernWarefare-y-ness of the case seems rather lackluster)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 11:42 AM

I think part of GameStop's success is that they've bought out all the little local stores people used to go to for their games. (Or at least that's my impression.)
Chuck
___

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2009, 11:50 AM

I don't question their saturation. I question that if they were to disappear this would hurt sales drastically. Every place I've seen a GameStop (which is not many) there has been another store nearby where I know I can by the same product.

The contribution GameStop makes to video game sales, in my opinion, is through the used games that everyone vilifies so much (including myself, though for different reasons). It's a great way to make new purchases cheaper (for people doing trade-ins) and to expose a larger amount of people to a game (through used sales). The latter may even help sales of sequels.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2009, 12:49 PM

-i need to be able to play Okami, Shadow of the Collosus, Ico and GT4.
-Storage space isnt paramount as i wont be downloading a lot.
-I'd like to playback my H.264(non iTunes) video and AAC/MP3s via the PS3 if possible.

What do you guys recommend ?
Well you'll need the discontinued PS3 with full backwards compatibility, I believe the largest drive available for that model was the 60GB? If not an older 30GB model should have back-compatibility.

AFAIK, the PS3 plays more video formats than the 360 currently does so you'll have no problem playing all your media through it.

Also, the HDD is easily user-replaceable, so you can end up with a fully backwards-compatible PS3 with a huge HDD.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2009, 02:03 PM

And if you really want a 60 gig let me know, I still have one for sale (previous buyer backed out).

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2009, 10:28 AM

I'm so confused looking for a PS3...
so there's an 80GB version w/ hardware emulation and another with software ?

Are games region coded ? Movies ?

If Sony has software emulation for the PS2 why didn't they just include it in the new model ? what did they have to loose ?

I'd love a slim for it's formfactor, but a phat for it's backwards compatibility. i dont want just the PS3 exclusives, and im not getting a PS2 for those few games. ugh....

I might just go in for an American PS3 off Amazon cause it'll be better for the long term. can some suggest a model given my requirements ? jokell, cheers for the offer, but i reckon i need the warranty, and im kinda obsessive of the condition of my 'toys'.

Cheers

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2009, 11:51 AM

Sony has software emulation for part of the PS2. The GPU was never emulated.

Also, bear in mind that all PS3s with backward compatibility are used models.
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2009, 12:54 PM

If you want actual backwards compatibility, you'll need either the 60gb or 20gb models. There was an 80gb model that had some compatibility, but it wasn't the same as the previous version.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2009, 02:18 PM

When I got my 80GB model, there was a page on playstation.com where you could search on game title for compatibility information. I imagine it’s still around. I think Sony claims that these models (the 80GB Motorstorm & MGS4 bundles) can play 80–85% of PS2s without any problems.

IIRC, the difference is that the 80GB includes the actual PS2 GPU but emulates the CPU, whereas the earlier full-BC models included both PS2 chips.

Forum Links
Forum Rules