Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > disk partition problem

disk partition problem
innerimager
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2007, 07:59 AM

On my mac Pro, 10.4.9 I have an internal disk with 2 partitions that I want to reformat. Using disk utility, partitioning fails with the message "can not unmount". I notice that there are no icons to unmount these in the finder as well. Also I can't repair the overall disk getting the same "can not unmount" message. Any suggestion appreciated! thanks...Peter

Moose
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 08:27 AM

Boot from the Software Restore DVD and use its copy of Disk Utility.

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Boot from the Software Restore DVD and use its copy of Disk Utility.
thanks, will do

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2007, 11:50 PM

Might need to ask yourself why are you partitioning in the first place? Unless you are a developer or maybe running Parallels, there's no reason to partition OS X save that so many ex-Windows users still have that mindset.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2007, 02:10 AM

I partition my start up disk so that I only am cloning the system and applications when I back up......Peter

Moose
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by innerimager View Post
I partition my start up disk so that I only am cloning the system and applications when I back up......Peter
Wait, wait.

You're trying to repartition your startup disk?

You can't partition a disk that contains the active startup volume (with the GUI in Disk Utility).

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Wait, wait.

You're trying to repartition your startup disk?

You can't partition a disk that contains the active startup volume (with the GUI in Disk Utility).
Hi- The disk I was having trouble partitioning was not the start up disk. And btw I followed your advice and it worked fine. As to the start up, what I have done for years is to clone it to an external drive, then boot from the external, and partition the original startup, giving 60-70 GB for the system and apps. The other 200GB becomes a data disk. I have a 70 GB external partition and then regularly clone/backup (Superduper) to it. I like the system a lot. The disks I was having trouble were two internals from my old G5 that I wanted to reformat as a RAID. thanks for the help, best....Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules