Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pope: Extremely Ill & Possibly Dying

Pope: Extremely Ill & Possibly Dying (Page 3)
Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 04:02 PM

I'm very sad.

I am watching Italian satellite television and he is still alive, but in the process of dying. (3:00 PM EST - the same time of the day that Christ was said to have died.)

One thing notable is that John Paul, too, decided to forego any extraordinary measures to save his life.

He apparently contracted septicemia or blood poisoning.

I'm not a practicing Catholic but I will bring my children to the local Catholic church to light a candle for him.

God bless John Paul.

He is moving onto his blessed afterlife and the Glory.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 04:38 PM

I look forward to duelling with Pope John Paul Ringo George II.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 05:33 PM

my theory...he is dead but the church doesn't want his death to be on april fools day...

it's 11:32 pm in rome so it should be close for him to be officially dead.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 05:34 PM

Apparently he has just now lost consciousness.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
my theory...he is dead but the church doesn't want his death to be on april fools day...

Do they know about april fools day in Italy?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 06:44 PM

I doubt very much that they have April Fool's Day in Italy? Isn't it an Irish tradition?

If someone hears that he has passed let us all know?

Thanks.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
I doubt very much that they have April Fool's Day in Italy? Isn't it an Irish tradition?

If someone hears that he has passed let us all know?

Thanks.
Even if it isn't popular there they will certainly be aware of it and the potential impact.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 07:24 PM

I somehow doubt that the Vatican would keep his death a secret until it turns to April 2nd. The day that he dies is the day that he dies, period. Besides, he had a great sense of humor according to everyone who is discussing him. If they recognize April 1st as a April Fool's Day over there he would probably be amused by the parallel.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 07:37 PM

april 1 was the pagan new year before Pope Gregory XIII decreed the gregorian calendar in 1582

so april fools day is really making fun of pagans who didn't accept the new calendar...

so i don't know.. yeah it might be a stretch

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 07:38 PM

its sad that the pope is dying but he will be going home. i'm not catholic but its still sad to me.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Apr 1, 2005, 07:45 PM

I also find it quite sad that he is dying. He's a man who is loved by millions, and I'm sure there wil be quite a void after he passes.
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 08:02 PM

It is nice to see that everyone seems to feel the same regardless of faith.

to all of you.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 11:06 PM

i was celebrating my coach's birthday at a local restuaraunt/bar thing, and CNN was showing footage of someone break dancing in front of the pope. i just kind of chuckled. pretty cool.
iamwhor3hay

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 01:04 AM

At 11:00 PM EST, which was 6:00 AM in Rome, the Vatican Press Office closed with the news that there would be a news conference at 9:00 AM.

I have a feeling that the Pope has died during the night. The Vatican Press Office said that they would be open "24 hours a day in order to give reports on the Pope's condition."

Since they closed at 6:00 AM after they said that they would not close I can only believe that it means something.

Our family lit a candle and said prayers for him tonight. One thing is for sure: He is happy where he is going to.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 01:07 AM

He is happy where he is going to.
Buried in dirt. How exciting.

Dimethyltrypt
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 01:08 AM

At 11:00 PM EST, which was 6:00 AM in Rome, the Vatican Press Office closed with the news that there would be a news conference at 9:00 AM.

I have a feeling that the Pope has died during the night. The Vatican Press Office said that they would be open "24 hours a day in order to give reports on the Pope's condition."

Since they closed at 6:00 AM after they said that they would not close I can only believe that it means something.

Our family lit a candle and said prayers for him tonight. One thing is for sure: He is happy where he is going to.
Something is wrong with you.
don't be a MOORON, you lefty terrorist commie.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 01:25 AM

It is nice to see that everyone seems to feel the same regardless of faith.

to all of you.
I disagree with his stance on birth control and abortion but loudly and strongly praise him for the work he has done to spread the goal of peace, either through Christianity or other means, throughout the world. And the way he has solemnly participated in his own end--particularly the reciting of the Station's of the Cross this morning--endears him to me even more.

If the news accounts can be believed he was actively praying for those around him this morning--who were witness to his suffering--as they were praying for him. That is an act of tremedous Christian piety.

I just wish all the media weren't engaged in the death watch. Let the man die in peace and then turn out the lights in his apartment to let the world know he has passed. He deserves some privacy from the prying eyes of the press in his final hours.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Buried in dirt. How exciting.
I am an atheist yet I find this comment horribly offensive. Can you not acknowledge the fact that for the Pope his faith allows him so much more comfort with the belief in an afterlife?

This comment is why I try so hard to distance myself from other atheists. I am not anti-religion for everyone--some people need or want religion in their lives--I just have no place for religion in my life. And I can accept the fact that for others religion gives them sustenance of some kind. It is not for me to judge whether that is right or wrong. It is simply for me to accept that for them it is important. And because I honor and accept their right to determine this for themselves I do not seek to criticize or pass judgment on those for whom this is a sad, perhaps tragic, event.

Shame on you!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2005, 01:37 AM

I'm very sad.

I am watching Italian satellite television and he is still alive, but in the process of dying. (3:00 PM EST - the same time of the day that Christ was said to have died.)

One thing notable is that John Paul, too, decided to forego any extraordinary measures to save his life.

He apparently contracted septicemia or blood poisoning.

I'm not a practicing Catholic but I will bring my children to the local Catholic church to light a candle for him.

God bless John Paul.

He is moving onto his blessed afterlife and the Glory.

You just keep circlin' and circlin', don't ya?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
And because I honor and accept their right to determine this for themselves I do not seek to criticize or pass judgment on those for whom this is a sad, perhaps tragic, event.

Shame on you!
Sorry if I don't see the big deal in all of this. It's not sad or tragic, that's for sure. He died old. Very simple to understand really. Death isn't a bad thing. I would rather die than live an eternity. So shame on me.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 01:56 AM

Sorry if I don't see the big deal in all of this. It's not sad or tragic, that's for sure. He died old. Very simple to understand really. Death isn't a bad thing. I would rather die than live an eternity. So shame on me.
The big deal in all of this is that the Pope means something to people, a lot of people. And by demeaning him you are demeaning their belief in him. You don't have to like the Pope, or like what he stands for, or the religions he represents. But to castigate your fellow beings for their belief in him--whether or not YOU believe in him--simply shows your short-sightedness and willful intolerance towards your fellow beings. And that is what I find so offensive. You can't accept the fact that other's have beliefs that differ from yours.

Shame on you is right!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 02:06 AM

whether or not YOU believe in him
As what? A human being?

willful intolerance towards your fellow beings. And that is what I find so offensive. You can't accept the fact that other's have beliefs that differ from yours.
So by expressing an opposing opinion I'm intolerant? I don't hate him. I don't even know him. I just see him as an overrated figurehead to a religion I don't care for. I don't think people that do care are actually morons though. I would prefer not to let Cody assume we all agree with her, being that this is a public forum with people who don't believe in the same thing. If she wants to express these things, than it might be more appropriate to do so in a church or whatever.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 2, 2005, 08:15 AM

So by expressing an opposing opinion I'm intolerant? ... If she wants to express these things, than it might be more appropriate to do so in a church or whatever.
aren't you contradicting yourself here just a little bit? though i disagree with just about everything she (i)writes, this is still an open forum...freedom of speech...ya know.

OT, i believe the pope is a person who means incredibly well, but has made some serious stupid decisions in his life (as well as some really beneficial ones) and is, imho, a terribly misguided man.

i also find it frighteing that so many people place their hopes and lives in a single "person". especially in countries where the literacy rate is incredibly low, and people really have no possiblities of crossrefferncing what they are told (to believe). people in the "west"..oh well, that's a different story, and again, my opinion.

anyway, i whish karol woytila well and a smooth transition. i think it would be kind of neat if with his death catholicism, and religion in general, would end...but i don't think it's going to happen, anytime soon.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 08:44 AM

Everyone that you see that says that they interacted with the Pope says that he had a very holy presence.

I believe that there are many holy people in the world, each following their own religious base that has a value system and morals, and that all should be respected.

I would feel the same about the Dalai Lama if he were on his deathbed. He is also very holy.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 2, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Dimethyltrypt:
Something is wrong with you.
I think you "something is wrong with this person" measuring tool is off. The magnet may be pointing in the opposite direction.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 2, 2005, 09:21 AM

I am an atheist yet I find this comment horribly offensive. Can you not acknowledge the fact that for the Pope his faith allows him so much more comfort with the belief in an afterlife?

This comment is why I try so hard to distance myself from other atheists. I am not anti-religion for everyone--some people need or want religion in their lives--I just have no place for religion in my life. And I can accept the fact that for others religion gives them sustenance of some kind. It is not for me to judge whether that is right or wrong. It is simply for me to accept that for them it is important. And because I honor and accept their right to determine this for themselves I do not seek to criticize or pass judgment on those for whom this is a sad, perhaps tragic, event.

Shame on you!
And as a person that believes, you have my respect. More atheists should be like you.

But then again, you are probably secure in your beliefs.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 2, 2005, 09:22 AM

I would feel the same about the Dalai Lama if he were on his deathbed. He is also very holy.
I think you mean "spiritual"

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 09:31 AM

Hi Zimph:

No, I do mean holy.

[b]ho�ly
adj. ho�li�er, ho�li�est

1. Belonging to, derived from, or associated with a divine power; sacred.
2. Regarded with or worthy of worship or veneration; revered: a holy book.
3. Living according to a strict or highly moral religious or spiritual system; saintly: a holy person.
4. Specified or set apart for a religious purpose: a holy place.
5. Solemnly undertaken; sacrosanct: a holy pledge.
6. Regarded as deserving special respect or reverence: The pursuit of peace is our holiest quest.
7. Informal. Used as an intensive: raised holy hell over the mischief their children did.[/b[]

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 2, 2005, 09:39 AM

Divine means having the "nature" of being a deity.

As far as I know, there was only one Holy human that ever lived on this earth.

But hey, it's just semantics. Carry on.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 09:55 AM

Oh man, what I wouldn't give to see a Cody v. Zimphire knock-down, drag-out flamefest.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 2, 2005, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Oh man, what I wouldn't give to see a Cody v. Zimphire knock-down, drag-out flamefest.
Wouldn't happen.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

I believe all creatures are "divine" in a sense. I was watching the Power Of Myth and their was a part that discussed ancient man and their spiritual association and respect for the animals that they would hunt. Many old rituals involved animal worship.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 2, 2005, 10:08 AM

I'd find it hard to worship something below my own food chain.

Then hunt and eat it.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 10:13 AM

I'd find it hard to worship something below my own food chain.

Then hunt and eat it.
It was common with many Native Americans actually. Take for example the buffalo. They had upmost respect for them. Rituals like the buffalo dance were popular. The dance was a ritual of buffalo rebirth.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2005, 10:33 AM

I'd find it hard to worship something below my own food chain
Must be why I am not religious.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 2, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
Must be why I am not religious.

You forgot to quote the " " on purpose or by accident for some reason.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 11:31 AM

You're probably right, Zimphire.

Thanks for the clarification.

About fighting with Zimphire, it wouldn't happen. Zimphire is one of the people that I respect around here, actually.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2005, 11:57 AM

You forgot to quote the " " on purpose or by accident for some reason.
It was on purpose. You can't go trolling when you have smiley faces!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 12:52 PM

just woke up, he dead yet?

why can't the pope just die like a normal public figure? with an announcement and that's it.

or is this how it's going to be now that we're so wired into everything? nah, can't be, we didn't get this circus with reagan. makes you wonder.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
just woke up, he dead yet?

why can't the pope just die like a normal public figure? with an announcement and that's it.

or is this how it's going to be now that we're so wired into everything? nah, can't be, we didn't get this circus with reagan. makes you wonder.
Although I was just a kid when it happened, I seem to remember it being similar with the last Popes death also. And the one that preceded him too, they were pretty close together. The head of the Catholic Church wields worldwide influence, and as spiritual leader for millions around the world, I'm assuming that's why there is so much coverage. If Reagan were still president when he died, I'm sure the coverage would have been the same.

You've got to give the man credit for doing his job to the last. From CNN:

Even as he lay critically ill in his apartments at the Vatican on Friday, John Paul appointed a large number of bishops and other church officials, the Holy See said in an afternoon statement.
Nemo me impune lacesset

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 2, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
... why can't the pope just die like a normal public figure? with an announcement and that's it. ...
Like who? Ronald Reagan?

And what's the matter with you? Haven't you gotten the memo yet??

People no longer "die" around here - they just "pass on".

Like so: ***swooooosh***

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 01:35 PM

Yeah, he's amazing with his work ethic. Working up until he was incapcitated and even then dictating orders to people. 84 years old with a disease-ravaged body and it still did not stop him.

He is an amazing man.

I am in awe of him. It seemed to me that the more that disease impacted his body the more holy he became.

I heard this morning that he will most certainly be sainted.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 01:39 PM

People love him, that's for sure.

When told that thousands of "young people" were outside of his window he said:

"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you."
He is just simply amazing.

Dimethyltrypt
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 01:50 PM

People love him, that's for sure.
Another ground breaking statement, courtesy of Cody Dawg the Pope Fanatic.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 02:09 PM

I'm proud to be labeled a Pope John Paul II fanatic, actually.

Thank you.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 02:26 PM

When told that thousands of "young people" were outside of his window he said:

"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you."
He is just simply amazing.
The Catholic Church has public relations experts too.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 02:55 PM

I think there really is something very wrong with you, and I don't mean this as flamebait. What is it exactly that makes you need to worship dying people so much, and don't you think it might confuse your children to carry them along your somewhat strange path? I'm not joking, have you considered just talking to a therapist? Please, think of your children.
weird wabbit

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 02:59 PM

I think you mean "spiritual"
because the dali llama is ...shhhh...asian and so can't be holy

talk about intolerant

iwrite don't hitch yer wagon with this nut job

Dimethyltrypt
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
I think there really is something very wrong with you, and I don't mean this as flamebait. What is it exactly that makes you need to worship dying people so much, and don't you think it might confuse your children to carry them along your somewhat strange path? I'm not joking, have you considered just talking to a therapist? Please, think of your children.

Seriously ^
Seek help. Like now. I'm seriously concerned about your mental health.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Dimethyltrypt:
I'm seriously concerned about your mental health.
Uh huh.

So he might become a saint. Don't they have enough already?

Forum Links
Forum Rules