Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > IPOD touch ITUNES question

IPOD touch ITUNES question
mokareyz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2010, 03:44 AM

Alright hear me out.

I purchased songs off of Itunes, then one day while my IPOD was syncing, the power went out thus erasing all my songs. I went to retrieve my Itunes songs which said I've already downloaded them, so i repurchased them.

Now it shows that I bought each album and song twice on my IPOD, taking up double the room they are supposed to. When I goto my library on my computer, it only shows them as I've bought them once. It only shows double on my IPOD.

I don't care if I got charged twice, but they're taking up double room on my IPOD. How do I erase the duplicates off my IPOD?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2010, 08:22 AM

Pretty weird error. Whenever you plug your iPod in, click on it in iTunes and check the box that says "manually manage music and videos" - then you can delete what you want (right click, delete) and add what you want (drag onto iPod icon).

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2010, 09:18 AM

Reset your iPod to factory settings, from iTunes, and then synch again.

There was no need to re-purchase all of your songs.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2010, 12:50 PM

iPod and iTunes

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mokareyz View Post
...I don't care if I got charged twice, ...
That is not something I expected you to say!!!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

fixpod
Banned
Aug 9, 2010, 01:08 PM

i think restore to factory setting will sort the problem !

mokareyz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2010, 06:13 PM

Alight I've restored it to factory settings. I also backed it up. So now what do I do to get the songs I've already purchased and the rest of the files from my Ipod?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 13, 2010, 06:39 PM

Alight I've restored it to factory settings. I also backed it up. So now what do I do to get the songs I've already purchased and the rest of the files from my Ipod?
All the songs you’ve purchased should still be in your iTunes library. Just sync the iPod to the iTunes library (your choice whether you want to let it automatically sync everything, or whether you want to manually filter what music is synced), and that should be it.

mokareyz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2010, 06:51 PM

Well when I purchased my songs, it was while it wasn't connected to my computer. It was when I had my Ipod on wireless so they don't show up in my library. When I goto sync, it says it is synced with another library. Do I want to erase this iPod and sync with this itunes library? I'm confused.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 13, 2010, 07:19 PM

Well when I purchased my songs, it was while it wasn't connected to my computer. It was when I had my Ipod on wireless so they don't show up in my library. When I goto sync, it says it is synced with another library. Do I want to erase this iPod and sync with this itunes library? I'm confused.
Wait, so the purchased songs were purchased directly on the iPod and never synced to the computer?

In that case, you’re out of luck. When you buy an item on the iTunes Store, you’re only allowed to download the item once. Always make sure all your purchased items are backed up (i.e., are at least both on your computer and your iPod).

Send an e-mail to support and explain the situation. They’re usually nice about giving people one chance and letting them re-download their purchases (but do it from your computer this time, not from the iPod!). And then back up!

mokareyz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2010, 07:28 PM

Alright. But why would it matter? I'm still buying it off the Itunes store just wireless instead of on my computer? If it knows my account what would be the difference? I guess those are questions I'd have to ask them. Thanks for the help.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 13, 2010, 07:42 PM

Alright. But why would it matter? I'm still buying it off the Itunes store just wireless instead of on my computer? If it knows my account what would be the difference? I guess those are questions I'd have to ask them. Thanks for the help.
There is no difference—except that, as I said, purchasing an item gives you one download. If you then lose the downloaded file and don’t have a backup, you’re at Apple’s mercy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules