Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do I type Hiragana on my MacBook Pro?

How do I type Hiragana on my MacBook Pro?
asugi48
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2013, 01:57 AM

Hello everyone,

How do I type Japanese Hiragana on my Macbook Pro? Also, how is it possible with a english keyboard? I've heard people talk about it, but I don't know how it actually works! It'd be interested to know, though.

Thank you very much!

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2013, 04:32 AM

This should help you in setting-up your keyboard. Japanese for Your Mac: Typing in Japanese
Do remember that direct translation you will need some aid via website teaching Japanese, this site I find is quite good plus you can get personal assist for a price! Japanese Translation - Translating from Japanese

OreoCookie
May 4, 2013, 09:17 PM

First you have to enable the Japanese keyboards in the Input Sources tab of your Language & Text System Pref. You then type kana phonetically, e. g. »sa« will give you さ. The system will then also automatically propose kanji when it sees fit. But you still need to pick the right one since Japanese has countless homophones, e. g. いる could be »to be« or »to need«.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

3Queen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2013, 01:55 AM

1. Open the system preferences and click on the "Languages and text" pane.

2. Click on the "input sources" tab.

3. On the list on the left, check "Kotoeri", then "Hiragana" and/or "Katakana".

4. Click on the flag logo on your menu bar, and there you can pick Hiragana or Katakana to type in.

If you're stuck btw, here's a more in depth article on how to type Japanese on a Mac: How to type Japanese Characters on your Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules