Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Flash not working anywhere now

Flash not working anywhere now
kevs
Mac Elite
May 3, 2016, 09:44 PM

I just got a new 27", migrated, everything was fine, unitl today flash was not working on Firefox anymore. Safari/ Chrome OK.
Someone suggested I do an unistall. I did uninstall, reinstall and now Flash is not working on any browser. Out of ideas. thanks.

reader50
Administrator
May 3, 2016, 10:44 PM

Get the latest version from Adobe. It's possible you had an older version, which has just been disabled for another critical security flaw.

That got to happening so often that I uninstalled Flash and didn't go back. It was just too annoying.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2016, 11:09 PM

Wow reader, you don't ever use flash, then you can't see most of my websites ! I have to say: 5% of my life is just updating flash! Why can't Adobe, just silently update without asking me.

I did solve this. Buried at the end of plugins, the Shockwave was disabled, which I did not do... ok now. But have to reset Safari and Chrome.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2016, 03:23 AM

Most websites that use Flash in 2016 have a perfectly fine alternative site that will load if Flash isn't installed.

Sites that use Flash in 2016 and won't work without it don't deserve your patronage.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2016, 03:44 AM

I don't have flash installed for some years now! What you should enable Safari Develop, then
via the Menu you can switch to iPhone or iPad User Agent to see the site.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2016, 08:17 AM

As much as we want to believe that we don't need Flash anymore, sadly we do. It is a popular video player wrapper, and not just with minor sites. I just came across one this AM:

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert Video - To Know Ted Cruz Is To Wish You Didn't - CBS.com

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2016, 12:46 PM

My photo sites to have a mirror html version, but the design is totally lost.
Still, why does Adobe force us to update so often and so many glitches? Can't they just allow us to update behind the scenes?

P
May 4, 2016, 02:05 PM

They have to update often because they have lots of bugs and Flash is a high profile target. Adobe's updaters are terrible, but mainly i think they have given up on Flash now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2016, 02:23 PM

Thanks P, darn, that is a bummer to hear. How often would you say you receive some notification about updating Flash? Given meaning not improving it just maintaining?

andi*pandi
May 4, 2016, 06:12 PM

They don't update "behind the scenes" because people want control over their machines. I would avoid any popup notices you get telling you to update flash and instead go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and manually install flash yourself.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2016, 07:57 PM

Andi, I'm dong the manual installs and it takes up 5% of my life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules