Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > And she's back! (Doctor Who Season 9, not Ca$h)

And she's back! (Doctor Who Season 9, not Ca$h) (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Well, regeneration itself was made up to keep the show alive. I don't think it's any big deal.
What can be thrown in without breaking everything three seasons in is different when the show is over 30 seasons.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 18, 2017 at 11:26 AM. )

Thorzdad
Jul 18, 2017, 11:06 AM

Meh. Once regeneration was invented, there's never been a defensible reason for not having a female or minority Doctor beyond the conservative corporate culture of those times. It didn't happen because the culture wouldn't hear of it.

It's sci-fi/fantasy, fer chrissakes. By definition, anything is possible. That the Doctor can regenerate into a different sex fits right in. In my mind, it makes the character even fuller and deep. It breaks nothing. It only adds to the possibilities.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Meh. Once regeneration was invented, there's never been a defensible reason for not having a female or minority Doctor beyond the conservative corporate culture of those times. It didn't happen because the culture wouldn't hear of it.

It's sci-fi/fantasy, fer chrissakes. By definition, anything is possible. That the Doctor can regenerate into a different sex fits right in. In my mind, it makes the character even fuller and deep. It breaks nothing. It only adds to the possibilities.
This is why I said I'm fine with the idea. I agree with all your observations right up to whether it breaks things.

It breaks the years of world building, which is still world building, even if it's corporate who decided what bricks got used. Corporate gave them grey, so they built a greystone. It was a greystone for decades. It's a brownstone now, but it sure looks like a greystone over the hundred-plus episodes I've seen.

As an aside, in terms of the suits wrecking things, one need look no further than the pilot for An Unearthly Child. So much better than what they settled for. Really quite the revelation about how progressive Lambert tried to be. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion the plan was to stealthily turn Susan the lead.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Stuff
Dude.

A few things.

1. The BBC is not a regular broadcaster. They are publicly funded and by their charter they are required to serve the public interest as well as provide entertaining content. Doctor Who was originally commissioned with the charter to be educational as well as entertaining. Ok, so they borked the educational things for more than a half a century, but by making the new Doctor a female that are serving the public interest of roughly 50% of the population that they have not addressed until now. Beyond that, viewership has dropped for D.W. This shakeup will get more eyeballs- hopefully they will sustain them.

2. How are you so confident they will not work the new regeneration into the existing framework flawlessly? Sure they could screw it up and make it clumsy, but all we know at this point is the person who will take on the role. The 'reality' of Doctor Who has always shifted to fit the plot (see capabilities of the Sonic Screwdriver, etc), and there is no reason to suspect that with some good writing, this regeneration will fit perfectly into established norms. We already know a regeneration can be 'guided' to suit the needs of the time (see War Doctor)- there is an out right there.

You are sitting on both sides of the fence, and I get it suits your persona, but it's weak sauce. If it does't bother you, don't bitch about it. If it does, own it. But own it with logic.
( Last edited by Paco500; Jul 18, 2017 at 04:39 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 01:57 PM

I'm stealing your "own it with logic"

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I'm stealing your "own it with logic"
You've already stolen my heart (on several occasions), so why not?

andi*pandi
Jul 18, 2017, 03:10 PM

awww.

Given the Romana regen scene where she briefly was an alien, I think Time Lords and Ladies (yes they used the term) have the ability to regenerate however. It does raise interesting questions about their families and how they propagate, which we've never really seen. If Susan is the doctor's Granddaughter, he must have had children in his first regeneration... but none since in thousands of years. Could fertility only limited to whatever you're born as? Or do Time Lords do some genetic incubator voodoo?

Anyway, if the doctor and the master are any indication, forcing your kids to face down the abyss at the age of 8, well... not nurturing parents regardless of gender.

She could be interesting. Let's hope the writing supports that.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2017, 05:08 PM

Given that both the remaining Timelords have gender swapped close together, its hardly unthinkable that there is some external influence causing it to happen (or could be) as a plot point. Some of the lead up even hinted towards this maybe. Some species in real life have been known to switch gender to female when there are no females left in order to continue to propagate. Could be as simple as that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
awww.

Given the Romana regen scene where she briefly was an alien, I think Time Lords and Ladies (yes they used the term) have the ability to regenerate however. It does raise interesting questions about their families and how they propagate, which we've never really seen. If Susan is the doctor's Granddaughter, he must have had children in his first regeneration... but none since in thousands of years. Could fertility only limited to whatever you're born as? Or do Time Lords do some genetic incubator voodoo?

Anyway, if the doctor and the master are any indication, forcing your kids to face down the abyss at the age of 8, well... not nurturing parents regardless of gender.

She could be interesting. Let's hope the writing supports that.
Time lords are born in "looms" and grow up in Ling houses away from their parents. According to the books anyway.

I don't think going female breaks any existing rules. Was bound to happen, works for many of the fans as well as giving the young girls a positive role model. I'm all for it in every way. Apart from not liking it myself personally. Which is annoying.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 07:40 PM

Yeah, if you're going to talk about canon, then this scene makes regenerating seem a bit flippant.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Dude.

A few things.

1. The BBC is not a regular broadcaster. They are publicly funded and by their charter they are required to serve the public interest as well as provide entertaining content. Doctor Who was originally commissioned with the charter to be educational as well as entertaining. Ok, so they borked the educational things for more than a half a century, but by making the new Doctor a female that are serving the public interest of roughly 50% of the population that they have not addressed until now. Beyond that, viewership has dropped for D.W. This shakeup will get more eyeballs- hopefully they will sustain them.

2. How are you so confident they will not work the new regeneration into the existing framework flawlessly? Sure they could screw it up and make it clumsy, but all we know at this point is the person who will take on the role. The 'reality' of Doctor Who has always shifted to fit the plot (see capabilities of the Sonic Screwdriver, etc), and there is no reason to suspect that with some good writing, this regeneration will fit perfectly into established norms. We already know a regeneration can be 'guided' to suit the needs of the time (see War Doctor)- there is an out right there.

You are sitting on both sides of the fence, and I get it suits your persona, but it's weak sauce. If it does't bother you, don't bitch about it. If it does, own it. But own it with logic.
It looks like I managed to convey exactly the opposite of what I was going for.

I don't object to the idea of a female Doctor in any way. I like my science fiction turbo-progressive. That's one of the things it's for.

Since these are my politics, as a writer I'm going to want to interject them. When presented with the scenario of a species who can swap genders, this isn't merely going to be the oft-used trope of an advanced society leaving petty gender squabbles behind, it's one where those squabbles don't even make sense anymore. That's where I want it to go. That's what I want people to put in their pipe and smoke. Tear it all the **** down.

This is where my problem is. If I do that, I break a ton of shit, so chances are they won't let me. I'm going to need to play it on a continuum between it being "unusual" (q.v. Waragainstsleep's idea), and just left unexplained.

To put it another way, my beef is this idea is dynamite, and it's going to get nerfed into a firecracker.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 03:05 AM

Well, Patrick Troughton just pwned all that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 06:46 AM

Except for the part where no one really did anything with it until after he was dead.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2017, 08:04 AM

Subego-

Apologies on not understanding your position. That being said, I still take issue with your assertion that it will not be gracefully handled or does not fit the established mythos as you nor I have any idea how they are going to handle it.

The only thing we know is name of the actor they have hired to portray the Doctor. That is it.
( Last edited by Paco500; Jul 19, 2017 at 03:59 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Subego-

Apologies on nit understanding your position. That being said, I still take issue with your assertion that it will not be gracefully handled or does not fit the established mythos as you nor I have any idea how they are going to handle it.

The only thing we know is name of the actor they have hired to portray the Doctor. That is it.
No apologies needed, my point was expressed poorly, and perhaps not even fully formed beyond a gut feeling when originally made.

And that's the thing... I'm not worried about the grace or fitting established mythos. It's not a hard job. Not explaining it at all even works in that regard, and it could be argued to be the most graceful choice and one which best fits the mythos.

I'm arguing there's an inherent tension between established canon and squeezing maximum progressiveness out of the idea. They'll do fine with canon, and hence not do as well with the progressive part.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2017, 06:49 PM

I also feel that there's not as much "progressiveness" in casting a generic BBC newsreaderalike middle class woman as people are saying.

I was more excited back when Tilda Swinton was a favourite.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2017, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I also feel that there's not as much "progressiveness" in casting a generic BBC newsreaderalike middle class woman as people are saying.

I was more excited back when Tilda Swinton was a favourite.
Are you arguing Tilda is a more progressive choice, or would be a better Doctor?

If it's the latter, ****, let's throw Cate and Meryl into the ring.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2017, 06:40 AM

Dr Who jumps the shark. Bleh, I'm out.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2017, 06:51 AM

A more progressive choice would have been an actor who didn't look like a safe middle class BBC clone-a-like. Female actors are still squeezed (literally) into a one shape/look fits all. A normal looking, normal sized woman would have been far more interesting.
And yes I know that's not Tilda Swindon who looks like she last ate in 1965. And is pretty well posh. But she's at least an "interesting" character.
( Last edited by Doc HM; Jul 22, 2017 at 10:51 AM. )

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2017, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Dr Who jumps the shark. Bleh, I'm out.
I'm sure the show has legs. It just needs better care taken with the scripts. The last two years have been heavy on the rubbish. Capaldi should go down in history as the least well served by scripts Doctor of them all. His efforts to salvage any dignity from some of the shows (moon eggs, Forrest world, Robin Hood et al) have been nothing less than heroic.
( Last edited by Doc HM; Jul 22, 2017 at 10:49 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2017, 07:07 AM

It's far too *insert current progressive movement here*-pandering, and people are sick of it. I don't know a single person who isn't tired of all the forced diversity, because it hasn't been handled well in media and feels anything but organic.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2017, 10:52 AM

It's far too *insert current progressive movement here*-pandering, and people are sick of it. I don't know a single person who isn't tired of all the forced diversity, because it hasn't been handled well in media and feels anything but organic.
http://news.sky.com/story/the-bbc-pa...worse-10957166

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2017, 11:49 AM

Capaldi should go down in history as the least well served by scripts Doctor of them all.
I'm calling Baker deux.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2017, 02:22 PM

This is in an odd place because (as Troughton noted) the idea is actually completely organic.

That said, how this turns out will be affected by the glut of annoying, poorly handled, non-organic diversity, the fact that despite its obviousness it took them decades before they had the stones to do anything with it, and how sucky the writers are.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 22, 2017 at 02:41 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm calling Baker deux.
"I know! Let's have the fat man take off his jacket, drench him in sweat, and send him down the hall like a walrus.

Now that's sorted, who's writing this episode's implied rape scene?"

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2017, 08:12 PM

I know, it's so damned funny. I hope they cut all the guys' salaries. Serves them right.

Thorzdad
Jul 22, 2017, 11:35 PM

And when, exactly, might that magical "organic" moment arrive? That perfect point when everyone will sigh "of course! This is is exactly right!"? It will never happen so long as enough dinosaurs still walk the Earth. Diversity isn't being forced. Reality is being reflacted. Dinosaurs hate reality, though.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2017, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
And when, exactly, might that magical "organic" moment arrive? That perfect point when everyone will sigh "of course! This is is exactly right!"? It will never happen so long as enough dinosaurs still walk the Earth. Diversity isn't being forced. Reality is being reflacted. Dinosaurs hate reality, though.
About 5 years ago? Then it would have been fresh, now it just reeks of pandering. "Hey look, Who is hip with the equality too!"

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2017, 01:12 AM

About 5 years ago? Then it would have been fresh, now it just reeks of pandering. "Hey look, Who is hip with the equality too!"
At the very least, they missed the window where they were safe from accusations of bandwagoning.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2017, 02:09 AM

You know who would have been great AND a properly brave and actually interesting casting?

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2017, 03:24 AM

I know, it's so damned funny. I hope they cut all the guys' salaries. Serves them right.
I think you may have misread the point of that particular news article?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2017, 09:59 AM

You know who would have been great AND a properly brave and actually interesting casting?

I think we already agreed no Welsh.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Jul 23, 2017, 07:26 PM

I'm not sure when people seriously started clamoring for a female doctor. I don't recall it coming up when Tennant left, but maybe it did? I imagine the BBC have been feeling their way towards this cautiously for a while. Leaving hints, giving Missy a trial run to set precendent, etc... just to warm everyone up to the idea who may have resistance to "new" (cough see patrick troughton) ideas.

Will it really set the character back, or change that much? As long as they are still witty, clever, brave - and yes a touch arrogant - I think it will work.

That and writing, writing, writing. No jokes about changing the decor to pink and installing foofoo cushions and drapes. Be nice to see them challenge stereotypes, by perhaps ignoring them altogether?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2017, 07:44 PM

To be honest most of the doctors haven't been drastically different. Some variation in moodiness, but ultimately all quirky, confident and very similar. This will give an excuse to put the doctor in much more unfamiliar shoes and if done well we might get some great fun out of 'his' journey of unprecedented self discovery/

andi*pandi
Jul 23, 2017, 10:59 PM

What traits are essential, and what vary the most? Let's see, doctors in order of.... (grouped by {,,,} when I couldn't see a difference)

crankiness
(least) 5 < 2 < 11 < 8 < 7 < 10 < 4 < 6 < 3 < 9 < 12 < WD < 1 (most)
4 got cranky at the end.

arrogance
(least) {5, 2, 8, 7, 10, 11, WD} < 4 < 3 < 12 < 6 < 1 (most)

intelligence
(least) { WD, 11, 2, 11 , 8, 7} < 6 < 9 < 4 < 3 < 10 (most)
3 and 10 were always making contraptions. 11 just seemed to fall into situations.

witty/funny
(least) 1 < WD < {8, 7, 6, 10, 3 }<9 < 2 < 5 < 11 < 4 (most)
9 started dour but lightened up.

brave/gutsy
(least) 1 < 2 <5 <{11, 8, 7} <10 < 4 < 6 < 12 < 9 < 3 < WD (most)
I recall the first doctor almost left his companions behind in his efforts to get away... and 2 was the first to coin the infamous "run for your life!" phrase.

What else? No romance/attractiveness please. (well, that and 10 would win.)

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2017, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
well, that and 10 would win
He's almost annoyingly dreamy.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2017, 03:12 AM

We've already had female Doctors, why does Who need to become female? There's never been a precedent for a Time Lord to change sex. Why not spin-off a new show for Jenny? She was wildly popular and it's about "time" for her to come back anyway.

andi*pandi
Jul 24, 2017, 10:01 AM

Did you miss the whole Missy arc?

It's also been pointed out that 10 was pretty arrogant, so maybe he should be moved up < 12.

I would have liked to see more Jenny, sure. Why they have not brought back the Rani? She was a fun villain.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2017, 01:51 PM

Maybe she has, but we didn't know because she was a dude.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2017, 06:50 AM

and now the companion...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ley-Walsh.html

Please note I have deliberately chosen the daily Fail as it had the most rabid response I could find.

That said I'm not particularly excited. Hard to imagine the dynamic they will come up with, an older man, lets hope the Doctor doesn't become her own sidekick.

Given that we have a female doctor I would have liked to see how they wrote an all female crew.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2017, 10:21 AM

Never seen The Chase, but I remember liking Bradley Walsh on Law and Order UK.

Interesting choice. I'm curious how it will play. I liked Wilf (Donna's grandfather).

andi*pandi
Aug 22, 2017, 11:25 AM

At the very least, with an old man companion I hope that will mean no romantic subplots, yay.

andi*pandi
Feb 7, 2018, 02:56 PM

been watching parodies on youtube.

What did people think of the christmas special?

Thorzdad
Feb 8, 2018, 11:55 PM

As Who christmas specials go, it was one of the better ones. The reveal was fairly well done (all of the grousing about eye makeup aside.) I just hope I can hold out from dropping cable long enough to watch the next series.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2020, 06:40 PM

So, better late than never. Episode 5 of JW's second stint as the Doctor.

Pretty much more of the same, undercooked, bland, Dr Who lite.

Apart from this week.

WHOOOOOA!!!!! Well that went off on one. Apart from the two stand out reveals the whole thing was a masterclass in misdirecting. Set up as a bog standard monster of the week ep with the always underwhelming Judoon, all heck breaks loose.

Fantastic. We now have a great female doctor!
( Last edited by Doc HM; Jan 28, 2020 at 03:03 AM. )

Thorzdad
Jan 27, 2020, 08:30 PM

Yeah, last night’s Dr.Who was easily one of the best in years. I’m amazed the return of

was kept a secret so successfully. Great reveal.

andi*pandi
Jan 27, 2020, 09:23 PM

I am behind a few eps so thx for spoiler tags! Sounds good!

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2020, 04:17 AM

A more progressive choice would have been an actor who didn't look like a safe middle class BBC clone-a-like. Female actors are still squeezed (literally) into a one shape/look fits all. A normal looking, normal sized woman would have been far more interesting.
From way back in this thread (2017). I think this has now been proved.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2020, 03:14 PM

I keep on hearing the big problem with her is she sucks.

As opposed to, say, Carole Ann Ford, Mary Tamm, or Lalla Ward.

andi*pandi
Jan 28, 2020, 03:16 PM

I haven't hated her, or even the companions, but I have had issue with some of the writing not being up to snuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules