Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2.2Ghz MacBook Slowness Issues

2.2Ghz MacBook Slowness Issues
coreythemagnificent46
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Jun 10, 2008, 08:50 PM

I have a C2D MacBook 2.2ghz With the GMA X3100 and 4GB Of ram.. Its really sluggish.. Firefox beachballs and crashes sometimes.. Same with azreaus. I used the Migration assistant to suck everything off my old intel Mac Mini. For the life of me I cant figure out why this thing is slow. It should be screaming with 4GB of ram.

Any Ideas??

Cold Warrior
Jun 10, 2008, 08:53 PM

Run the hardware test to make sure nothing is bad. Also test the hard drive for errors or bad sectors.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by coreythemagnificent46 View Post
I used the Migration assistant to suck everything off my old intel Mac Mini.
There's your problem right there; destroys everything it touches.

Erase and Install OS X, then migrate your files over manually.

coreythemagnificent46  (op)
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Jun 11, 2008, 12:03 AM

Guess its time to clone the internal to the external drive and spend an afternon reloading everything.. saving all my preferences and and whatnot out of my previous home folder

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 12:26 AM

Migration assistant does not "destroy everything it touches". Problems with it are very rare.

RayK
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2008, 01:29 AM

Migration assistant was an awful experience for me as well. Turned my new Mac into a slug. A format and reinstall will probably fix it.
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D Stock
3G iPod 40GB
3.4 Ghz P IV, 2GB RAM, X800 XT AIW, XP Pro, Dell 2405FPW

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2008, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Migration assistant does not "destroy everything it touches". Problems with it are very rare.
Absolutely. For every person on this board that claims "it destroyed everything" you will find at least two dozen that had no issues at all. Especially when migrating from Intel->Intel.

Blaming MA is usually a knee-jerk reaction in lieu of actual trouble shooting. Create a new user form scratch. Log in to that user account (do not transfer plist files) and try your apps out. If the behavior is the same it's your system. If not, it's your regular user account's prefs, add-ons, etc. If it's the system you might need an A&I, if it's in your user account, you need to narrow it down to find out who the culprit is. You'd be surprised to see how mich havoc a simple 4k plist file can create.

Forum Links
Forum Rules