Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Advice on Phone/Cable Companies

Advice on Phone/Cable Companies
Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2009, 12:39 AM

Hello guys,

During the last couple of years new phone and cable companies have established as service provided in Dominican Republic. We have always used the traditional providers for they were the first. We pay RD$2840 (~81 USD) for the phone and RD$1000 (~28 USD) for cable.

The phone plan includes unlimited local minutes, the normal extras (call waiting, double line, etc), preferential international calling rates and a 1280/160 kbps DSL connection. Sadly, we don't get the advertised speed; I should have a download rate of 160 kbps, but it doesn't get passed 130 kbps. When it rains we lose the connection for an unknown reason. On the other hand, the cable plan includes 163 channels, where we only get 99 because we still have an analogue decoder (the digital ones are scares, we have been wait-listed).

So there are new options now, as I mentioned before. This new company offers Internet (WiMax), VoIP (for international purposes) and cable (satellite dish) packages. They have a RD$2500 (~72 USD) combo that includes a 768/256 kbps Internet connection, 140 channels, and a VoIP with a local number.

I could downgrade my existing phone plan with the traditional provider to a RD$876 (~25 USD) 2000-minutes plan. Last month we consumed 1918 minutes, so I think we'd be ok.

What do you guys recommend? Should I continue paying ~110 USD or risk it and try the new company and end up paying ~97 USD, with the downgrade on Internet speed and phone minutes. At least I would be getting what I'm paying for.

Hg+

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 08:20 AM

Can you try it and switch back in six months if you aren't happy?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2009, 08:51 AM

No, the combo binds me for 12 or 18 months.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2009, 08:57 AM

If it requires a one-year contract and it does end up sucking, it's only a year...you can always switch back once your contract is up.

Also: why would you need a traditional landline phone if you're getting VoIP? Have you thought about using Skype or something instead of a regular phone?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Also: why would you need a traditional landline phone if you're getting VoIP? Have you thought about using Skype or something instead of a regular phone?
They only provide unlimited plans for calls to the US and Europe -- lame. For 2000 local minutes I would end up paying ~60 USD vs. ~25 USD for the local line.

If I end up getting the VoIP, I'll use it for incoming calls only.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2009, 09:11 AM

I'd only wonder about the 2k minutes on the traditional phone provider, then. You used nearly that much...how much does it cost if you go over?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2009, 09:29 AM

~USD 0.02 per minute.

Forum Links
Forum Rules