Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Advice on DVD purchases.

Advice on DVD purchases.
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 05:39 PM

So i've decided it's finally time to expand on my tiny DVD collection.

All I have in my collection right now is the Extended LOTR Trilogy, The Star Wars Trilogy, the three star wars prequels, Downfall (Der Untergang), The Secret, and a World War II documentary DVD.

I've got a budget of approximetaly $125, and i've got it narrowed down to just a few options. I just feel that I might be forgetting something big, so that's why i'm asking you guys.

The most likely purchase at this point will be, Godfather Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, Gladitor Extended Edition, and King Kong 3 disc Extended edition.

Other movies that I was thinking of were Judgement at Nuremburg, Braveheart, Sin City, Apocalypse Now, and Schindlers List.

What do you guys think?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 05:45 PM

What ? No Indiana Jones ?

Your collection is lacking. I just bought the Indi collection for myself
They just had it for $ 30 at Barnes and Nobles.

-t

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 05:52 PM

blazing saddels

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
What do you guys think?
You like trilogies.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 06:05 PM

skip King Kong, and get Braveheart and Sin City.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 06:07 PM

Back to the Future (Trillogy), Indiana Jones (Trillogy), The Matrx (Trillogy), XMen (Trillogy), Austin Powers (Trillogy)…

I could go on here, but just take a peek at this link…

List of film trilogies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Owl

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 06:20 PM

I say, wait.

Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions of movies are just starting to come out in numbers and you might want to pick up a player and the HD copies instead. (I leave the choice between Blu-ray and HD-DVD up to you. Hell, you might want to wait til the format war settles a bit too.)

Personally, I'm not looking forward to replacing my 300+ DVD collection and I've cut back severely. Sure, there's always upscaling DVDs to near HD/HD quality. But if you're going to go to the trouble of building a collection, please consider getting latest HD versions and the equipment to go with it. In the meantime, there's always Netflix.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
I say, wait.

Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions of movies are just starting to come out in numbers and you might want to pick up a player and the HD copies instead. (I leave the choice between Blu-ray and HD-DVD up to you. Hell, you might want to wait til the format war settles a bit too.)

Personally, I'm not looking forward to replacing my 300+ DVD collection and I've cut back severely. Sure, there's always upscaling DVDs to near HD/HD quality. But if you're going to go to the trouble of building a collection, please consider getting latest HD versions and the equipment to go with it. In the meantime, there's always Netflix.
I watch DVD's on my computer. I don't even have a TV. I won't be watching Blu-Ray/HD-DVD until I've upgraded my Display, Video Card, and Optical Drive, all three of which don't support HDCP.

Also, on a 23" Cinema Display, DVD's barely look different from HD. HD was made for 60" + screens. That's where it really benefits.

Rumor
Dec 4, 2006, 06:31 PM

Get Alice.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 06:35 PM

I watch DVD's on my computer. I don't even have a TV. I won't be watching Blu-Ray/HD-DVD until I've upgraded my Display, Video Card, and Optical Drive, all three of which don't support HDCP.

Also, on a 23" Cinema Display, DVD's barely look different from HD. HD was made for 60" + screens. That's where it really benefits.
Can someone correct me if i'm wrong? Isn't in kind of impracticle to wait for HD-DVD and stuff?

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2006, 06:37 PM

Netflix. You'll watch way more movies.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Netflix. You'll watch way more movies.
I don't want to watch way more movies. I don't want netflix. I simply want to enlarge my movie collection slightly with the best movies possible.

I'll probably be an extremely late HD-DVD adapter, because it doesn't really make a difference to me (DVD's look great on my screen), so unless I don't know something about HD-DVD, i'm gonna buy DVD's.

I admit I don't know too much about the whole situation and about HDCP, so please, enlighten me!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 06:42 PM

No collection is complete without Pulp Fiction.

And get Serenity and the FireFly series of course.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2006, 07:34 PM

I don't want to watch way more movies. I don't want netflix. I simply want to enlarge my movie collection slightly with the best movies possible.

I'll probably be an extremely late HD-DVD adapter, because it doesn't really make a difference to me (DVD's look great on my screen), so unless I don't know something about HD-DVD, i'm gonna buy DVD's.

I admit I don't know too much about the whole situation and about HDCP, so please, enlighten me!
Sorry. I was just voicing my opinion. I used to be a DVD collector and then realized the futility. Huge waste of money in my opinion.

But you believe better and I respect that opinion.

I'll stay out now.

Rumor
Dec 4, 2006, 07:37 PM

Don't forget some 70's pr0n.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 07:43 PM

King Kong 3 disc Extended edition.
What the ?! There's an Extended edtion? What was the 3 hours of absolute I had to endure at the movies?

I'd recommend the Alien Quadrilogy 9 disc DVD box set.

Seconded for Firefly and Serenity.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
What the ?! There's an Extended edtion? What was the 3 hours of absolute I had to endure at the movies?

I'd recommend the Alien Quadrilogy 9 disc DVD box set.

Seconded for Firefly and Serenity.
I've heard very mixed opinions about King Kong, but a close friend of mine said he was blown away, and that he's buying the 3 disc set immediately. I trust him.

I completely forgot about Alien though! Thanks for reminding me!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 07:51 PM

I've heard very mixed opinions about King Kong, but a close friend of mine said he was blown away, and that he's buying the 3 disc set immediately. I trust him.
Your friend isn't blind, is he?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 07:51 PM

Your friend isn't blind, is he?
Or retarded ?

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
Or retarded ?

-t
Terry Schiavo after the accident?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 07:58 PM

Kubrick. The Shining, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, 2001... Watch as many as you can. Another vote for Pulp Fiction and, if you like Tarantino, Reservoir Dogs. Also check out Fargo, which leads to other great Coen Brothers movies. Dog Day Afternoon is another one everybody should see. I could go on, but your budget is going to be rather limiting.

I'd cast another vote for netflix but you've already decided against it. If you're interested in movies, the best thing you can do is watch as many as you can. There's a lifetime of great movies out there, I don't see any reason to limit yourself to just a few.

"I start fires!"

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3 View Post
Kubrick. The Shining, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, 2001... Watch as many as you can. Another vote for Pulp Fiction and, if you like Tarantino, Reservoir Dogs. Also check out Fargo, which leads to other great Coen Brothers movies. Dog Day Afternoon is another one everybody should see. I could go on, but your budget is going to be rather limiting.

I'd cast another vote for netflix but you've already decided against it. If you're interested in movies, the best thing you can do is watch as many as you can. There's a lifetime of great movies out there, I don't see any reason to limit yourself to just a few.
I watch plenty of movies. It's just once in a while I like to purchase those that I think are SO great they are worth owning.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 08:18 PM

I watch plenty of movies. It's just once in a while I like to purchase those that I think are SO great they are worth owning.
See my first paragraph then.

"I start fires!"

Rumor
Dec 4, 2006, 08:18 PM

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 08:29 PM

I'm still trying to figure out where King Kong enters all of this...

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 08:37 PM

I'm still trying to figure out where King Kong enters all of this...
I think it's good, you think it's bad. That's fine, we don't have to have the same opinion.

Thanks for all the help. I think i'll drop the Godfather trilogy for now (unless you guys think otherwise), and add few different movies in instead, like Braveheart or Sin City.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 08:40 PM

I think it's good, you think it's bad. That's fine, we don't have to have the same opinion.

Thanks for all the help. I think i'll drop the Godfather trilogy for now (unless you guys think otherwise), and add few different movies in instead, like Braveheart or Sin City.
Check out Firefly.

Rumor
Dec 4, 2006, 08:45 PM

Moonwalker

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2006, 08:46 PM

I had about 200 dvd's at one time. they got stolen and yes I was pissed, but to be honest i had not watched any of the DVD's more than once or twice after I purchased them.

stick with renting or do the netflix thing if you are into watching lots of DVDs. With blu-ray/hd whatever fighting it out, it seems sort of pointless to now build up a dvd collection in a format that will soon be obsolete.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
I had about 200 dvd's at one time. they got stolen and yes I was pissed, but to be honest i had not watched any of the DVD's more than once or twice after I purchased them.

stick with renting or do the netflix thing if you are into watching lots of DVDs. With blu-ray/hd whatever fighting it out, it seems sort of pointless to now build up a dvd collection in a format that will soon be obsolete.
You're right. However, DVD's look great on my 23" screen, and to play HD-DVD's i'm gonna need to get a new optical drive, video card, and monitor. That won't happen for at least another few years.

I'm not really building a collection. I just thought i'd buy a few more movies since I got this extra 125 bucks. I think i'll just stick with my original plan, and rent all these other suggestions...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 10:05 PM

So i've decided it's finally time to expand on my tiny DVD collection.

All I have in my collection right now is the Extended LOTR Trilogy, The Star Wars Trilogy, the three star wars prequels, Downfall (Der Untergang), The Secret, and a World War II documentary DVD.

I've got a budget of approximetaly $125, and i've got it narrowed down to just a few options. I just feel that I might be forgetting something big, so that's why i'm asking you guys.

The most likely purchase at this point will be, Godfather Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, Gladitor Extended Edition, and King Kong 3 disc Extended edition.

Other movies that I was thinking of were Judgement at Nuremburg, Braveheart, Sin City, Apocalypse Now, and Schindlers List.

What do you guys think?
I think you should get the 14 disc Ultimate Superman collection. That thing comes with everything!! Mine arrived from Amazon today and I'm looking forward to watching the Donner cut of Superman II tonight.
Ultimate Superman Collection

If Superman isn't your thing then what about Looney Tunes? I'm getting all four volumes of the golden collection this Christmas.
Looney Tunes Golden Collection

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 10:16 PM

What do you guys think?
Of these choices, there's really no question, in my view: Godfather.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 11:06 PM

Skip the Matrix trilogy, get Godfather, Sin City, Schindlers List and Apocalypse Now.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 11:19 PM

GalaxyQuest!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 11:21 PM

Short Circuit
Batteries Not Included

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Short Circuit
Batteries Not Included
Did you hear? They're gonna make a new Short Circuit sequel!

Short Circuiting Over the Possible Return of Johnny 5 - Cinematical

"I start fires!"

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Skip the Matrix trilogy, get Godfather, Sin City, Schindlers List and Apocalypse Now.
That's interesting.... I never even considered dropping the Matrix Trilogy. I haven't even seen the third one. I've heard is sucks though.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3 View Post
Did you hear? They're gonna make a new Short Circuit sequel!

Short Circuiting Over the Possible Return of Johnny 5 - Cinematical
Sweet!

Lava Lamp Freak
Dec 5, 2006, 12:08 AM

I sold my entire collection of 200+ DVDs a few weeks ago. I stopped buying movies last year and decided to sell what I had for the extra cash. I use Netflix so I have access to every movie I owned within a day, anyway. Everything is eventually going to download on demand.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
I sold my entire collection of 200+ DVDs a few weeks ago. I stopped buying movies last year and decided to sell what I had for the extra cash. I use Netflix so I have access to every movie I owned within a day, anyway. Everything is eventually going to download on demand.
I think I should probably clarify my situation so that it makes more sense to those of you that have been against my decision.

I'm just a kid who has no money (yet), and happened upon 125 bucks shoveling a REALLY long driveway. Recently i've been getting really into movies, so I figured, this money isn't enough to do any good anywhere else with anything serious, and I don't have any better ideas, so I figured i'd just buy some more movies.

Is that bad?

Oh and by the way, I am planning on becoming a movie director! I'm filming my first movie in a few weeks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 02:12 AM

That's interesting.... I never even considered dropping the Matrix Trilogy. I haven't even seen the third one. I've heard is sucks though.
Yeah, the first one is good, the rest is meh at best.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2006, 03:03 AM

The Director's Cut (Remastered Limited Edition)

...and its supposed to come out next week? And there is supposed to be another version in the works with all the extras, but I digress. You can never have too many copies of Blade runner.

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 5, 2006, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005
I own a 23" Sony LCD HDTV as well as a 23" Apple Cinema Display. Trust me, you can tell the difference between DVD at 480i and a 1080i/1080p signal, even on a 23" screen.

Then the question you should be asking isn't what movies you should buy to expand your DVD collection. Rather, you should be asking which movies we'd suggest you watch and then you can decide whether they're so great that they're worth owning.

Oh and by the way, I am planning on becoming a movie director! I'm filming my first movie in a few weeks.
If that's the case, I'd suggest you take your $125 and save it to get some decent video equipment. Here's something to whet your appetite: Sony HVR-V1U.

Why not? If you're seriously thinking about going into directing, you should digest as many movies "good" or "bad" as possible. It's all about learning, and who knows where you'll find influence. And really, "best" movies are so subjective.

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 04:09 AM

Of Mice and Men (1992)
The Joy Luck Club (1993)
Hud (1963)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

Has there ever been a decent Full Metal Jacket DVD release? They're all pan-and-scan, and the special edition is the only release with DD 5.1, or is there one out there I missed?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Of Mice and Men (1992)
The Joy Luck Club (1993)
Hud (1963)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

Has there ever been a decent Full Metal Jacket DVD release? They're all pan-and-scan, and the special edition is the only release with DD 5.1, or is there one out there I missed?
They are not Pan-and-scan, they are full frame as Kubrick intended them to be.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 08:03 AM

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
They are not Pan-and-scan, they are full frame as Kubrick intended them to be.
Thanks. That bit of information is invaluable.

Lava Lamp Freak
Dec 5, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Amazon.com: Full Metal Jacket [HD DVD]

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
That is either stretched or cropped, and it's not a DVD

"I start fires!"

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 12:14 AM

That's a cool camera, but I think my dad might be buying me a Red (red.com), if he likes my movies enough.

He says that if one is truly inspired, they do the best they can with what they have, and that if my movies are so good that he wants them recorded in 4:4:4 1080P, then he'll buy me the cool camera.

And about the movies, I bought Extended Gladiator, Extended King Kong, Godfather Trilogy, and my brother bought me the Matrix Trilogy as an early christmas present. I'll be getting it all from amazon in a few days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules