Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Disappearing icons

Disappearing icons
BoJangles
Apr 22, 2000, 09:45 AM

I just reformatted the stock hard drive on my beige G3/266, then installed Mac OS 9, then updated to 9.0.4. All of a sudden, some of my icons are disappearing. And I'm not talking about custom icons pasted into Get Info; they stay just fine. I'm talking about several applications reverting to the default application icon. Originally, it only happened with two or three applications that were installed by dragging them from the application CD (MS Word, ResEdit, etc.), but the latest victims are on a LOCKED floppy! Not dragged from it, but actually on it! I've rebuilt the desktop (several times), zapped the PRAM, and discussed the problem with Apple Tech Support, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Tintim
Apr 22, 2000, 09:57 AM

What you could do is use the File Buddy utility, search for it at http://www.versiontracker.com/

Create a folder on the desktop, select Move under the File menu of File Buddy and move the two invisible files "Desktop DB" and "Desktop DF" at the root directory of the disk into the folder on the desktop. Restart the computer, it will create completely new desktop files and that may solve your problems.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2000, 10:34 AM

or even easier, you could use TechTool 1.2.1 freeware to rebuild the desktop, it will DELETE the DB and DF files and your Mac will restart and rebuild them fresh. this is superior to the Apple method of rebuilding as the Apple method only updates existing desktop files which may be already corrupted.

Forum Links
Forum Rules