Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Wanted: "Muter" program

Wanted: "Muter" program
Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 12:17 PM

I listen to a lot of internet radio and the commercials are driving me nuts. Hitting mute works fine, but I often forget to un-mute. Is there an app out there that will drop the sound for a specified amount of time? This can be system-wide, not application specific.

Merc

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Mercator:
I listen to a lot of internet radio and the commercials are driving me nuts. Hitting mute works fine, but I often forget to un-mute. Is there an app out there that will drop the sound for a specified amount of time? This can be system-wide, not application specific.

Merc
You could do this in an AppleScript pretty easily.

Code:
set currentVolume to get (sound volume) -- get current value set volume 0 -- mute do shell script ("sleep 30") -- sleep 30 seconds set volume currentVolume -- put volume back
You'll need the Jon's Commands to do the "sound volume" part, but otherwise it should be ok. This is untested, so your miles may vary.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Mercator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 06:16 PM

Thanks Arkham, I'll give that a try. This will be my first foray into AS.

Merc

Forum Links
Forum Rules