Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Dual 2.5 Excessive Fan/Cooling Activity

G5 Dual 2.5 Excessive Fan/Cooling Activity
archarts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2005, 07:48 AM

Our G5's fans/cooling systems are running excessively - powering up even if there's nothing going on and even while in sleep mode. We've had this machine for some time
and have learned to expect the fans and cooling system to crank up when running a 3d rendering or photoshop but not for long periods while just sitting.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 10:57 AM

Is something taking CPU cycles and making it run hot? Maybe something you can't see is running on the background. You can check with Activity Monitor on the Apps/Utilities folder...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 01:19 PM

What is the ambient temperature in your work area?

Mine only starts revving the fans if the air conditioning is off and the temperature
outside is in the high eighties or nineties (farenheit) and I'm running a CPU intensive
application or two..

archarts  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2005, 02:51 PM

Thanks for viewing this post...

The items the activity window are "pm tool" and "kernal task" using any where from .40 to 1.6 % of CPU and 988 kb and 173.75 MB real memory, 28.14 and 1.30 GB VM respectively. WindowServer is on and off using 35.13 MB Real Memory and up to 324 MB Virtual. System 10.3.9.

Activity Monitor is using 2% of CPU, 9.3 MB Real Memory and 386.35 Virtual Memory.

Seems like a lot of memory while doing nothing.

The room temperature is a constant 70 degrees.

barang
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 08:29 PM

I just experienced that sort of thing for the first time. When I put my G5 1.6 to sleep, the fans maxed out completely, and then it refused to wake up from sleep. I reset it by pressing the power button for 6 seconds, and everything seems to be fine now.

Anyone heard of something similar to this?

It'd be nice to know, 'cause my applecare expires next week.....
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 05:24 PM

Fans maxing out and the machine not responding means OS X has crashed (hence it can no longer control the fans > the speed up to max). What barang has experienced I'd say is a software issue.

Don't know about archarts issue. There are no suspicious background apps, and CPU usage is not high.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by archarts
Our G5's fans/cooling systems are running excessively - powering up even if there's nothing going on and even while in sleep mode. We've had this machine for some time
and have learned to expect the fans and cooling system to crank up when running a 3d rendering or photoshop but not for long periods while just sitting.
Happens to me, too.
Its the memory controller chip (I think) temp causing it, not the CPU(s).
The 2.5's are just kinda like that as far as i can tell... I've seen/heard others do the same thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules