Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 82 yr old Grandpa wants Digital Camera

82 yr old Grandpa wants Digital Camera
poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2002, 11:24 AM

So my grandma wants to get my grandpa wants a digital camera.

He has a 350 mhz iMac running os9. His computer came with a free hp printer. Not great, but it does the job.

Since he got his first computer when he was 80 his knowledge of the thing is pretty limited.

I do not want to upgrade him to osX because buying a camera would then involve buying him a ton of new software and we would quickly go over budget.

Since there is no iPhoto on os9 here is my plan.

Buy him Photoshop Elements. This has a file browser program that shows thumbnails. It also can ratio-crop pictures (granted, not as simply as iPhoto, but it can do it.

Buy him a card reader (this way he sees a disk on his desktop and it seems easy enough).

Is this a good plan??? Do any cameras save pictures in 4x6 format (instead of 4x3 like my Olympus)? This would save a step. Is any of the camera manufacturer's software good enough that I can skip PS Elements? I had an Epson camera wayyyyyy back and importing photos was a pain. We eventually bought a card reader.

What else can I do to make this easier for him?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2002, 02:18 PM

Fuji's fine pix series is really good. The finepix 3 megapixel has a dock that charges it and has the USB in it so it's easy to transfer and charge, and the icon shows up on the desktop so you don't need a card reader. IT works just like connecting a disk drive.
But their software they suply is no PS Elements... elements = way better.

poulh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2002, 02:34 PM

Do you know if the fugi camera can take 4x6 shots w/out having to do any cropping?

MoontaMacman
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 06:23 PM

I have an iMac 333 and I assume yours also has USB - darn it I know it does <s> - most modern cameras with USB connection should not need a card reader - I just plug my Oly E10 straight into the USB for downloading- I know Sony also work.

I guess what I am saying is "Why do you need a card reader?" - use the cash to buy a second memory card for the camera of choice.
I have not used PE other than a brief test run- I use Photoshop 7 - but I think Elements sounds like a wise choice.
As for the camera itself- how much cash is the primary question- the media type is worth thinking about- at present CF has an advantage but really all of them are OK if used from the camera
Oh yes -personally I have never liked iPhoto - it duplicates images and renames thhem - or used to when I tried it last - and other than for playing around it holds no appeal for me. I use iView Pro and Photoshop but as I said for grandpa the Elements should be great.

Canon cameras come with some great software including Photostitch for making panoramas

my two pence worth

Ron
http://home.iprimus.com.au/alenka_ron

Chazzmandu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2002, 10:28 PM

This is the easiest camera to shoot with and to download pictures (and video clips): the Kodak EasyShare LS420.
http://www.kodak.com/go/ls420

Very simple controls and interface.

Comes with the camera dock, which:
. transfers pictures and
. recharges the Li-Ion battery.

Also comes with EasyShare software, which makes viewing, editing, emailing, and printing pictures easy.

8 MB of internal memory.
2 Picture quality settings.
Accepts an optional MMC or SD card.

Maybe the most beautiful thing is the size of the camera - it's truly pocket-sized.

Pricegrabber.com lists the cheapest locations. Enjoy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules