Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 4K!

4K!
subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2018, 01:47 PM

Attached to my Mac Mini HTPC! Old TV was 10-years-old, so I figured it was time for an upgrade.

The still 2K Crashplan icon shows the jump in quality.

Not that it’s particularly hard to imagine what quadding resolution looks like, but I’m excited anyway.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2018, 09:27 PM

FWP: my password is too difficult to enter with an on-screen keyboard, so I need to make an new Gmail account for my TV.

Or else I can’t voice command it.

P
Jan 8, 2018, 07:25 AM

My wifi-password is 63 randomly chosen characters. I limited it to printable ASCII, but even so, it is a bit of a challenge to input.

My TV has a wired connection, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2018, 01:20 PM

Most of my passwords are like that. WiFi is one of the more “normal” ones where it’s mostly English and not ridiculously long so it can be communicated verbally without much trouble, and manually typed without blowing it.

The TV has hardwired Ethernet, but it can’t use any “smart functions” without a Google account to attach itself to.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2018, 02:15 PM

Here’s subego’s “secure yet typable” password recipe.

Multiple uncommonish dictionary words (starting with the same letter to make it easier to remember) plus a single special character to **** with brute force attempts. Some numbers and caps can go in there for extra security, but don’t bother with the replace characters with symbols shit.

Example: $100Bronchitisbastard

P
Jan 8, 2018, 06:51 PM

My usually way is to make up a decently long sentence and use the first (or first two) letters from each word.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2018, 03:41 PM

I’m sure that’s more secure, but I question whether it’s past the point of diminishing returns.

Let’s take a near worst case scenario. Hacker knows my password is symbol-number-number-number-dictionary-dictionary.

Even assuming an abbreviated dictionary, If I did the math right, that can’t be brute forced without an average of, let’s see... carry the four...

30 trillion attempts, or 100 years at 10,000 tries per second.

That’s without including the capital letter.

Secure enough, right?

P
Jan 10, 2018, 05:17 AM

What you're describing is the "battery horse staple" rule (from an old XKCD), and modern password crackers include tests for it. 10,000 tries per second is way too low - they run these things on GPUs now. In the example in this article, the cracker tries 8 billion passwords per second:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...our-passwords/

If someone uses a better password hashing algorithm, it reduces the testing rate to something like what you describe, but you don't know what hash various sites use to encode your password.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2018, 08:50 AM

If someone can snag the hash table from one of my WiFi APs, I’ll just give them the password at that point.

P
Jan 10, 2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If someone can snag the hash table from one of my WiFi APs, I’ll just give them the password at that point.
Yeah OK, fair enough. As long as you don't reuse the password somewhere else.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2018, 11:16 PM

Okay... having Alexa turn the TV on/off and change inputs (I get to name) is officially the coolest thing ever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules