Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > setting up 1st network, need help...

setting up 1st network, need help...
hornsofglass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 09:28 AM

okay, first off thanks in advance for any help.

here's my question(s):
I am a PC user and have never used (much less set up)a wireless network.
I have just ordered my first Mac (a 12" iBook).
I want to set up a wireless network to use it and i'm looking for suggestions and tips.

my PC doen't have an ethernet port, and it has no way of adding one to it.
My cable modem (using Comcast)is currently attached to it in the bedroom via USB. What I want to do is place the wireless router in the bedroom next to the PC so i can use the iBook through the rest of the apartment.

Right now I'm looking a Netgear MR814 wireless (.b) router and a Netgear MA111 USB adapter for the PC. Amazon has the two of them for $70 with about $30 in rebates.

the PC will use the USB wireless adapter about 1 foot from the base station and the iBook will have an airport extreme card installed.

1. would this be a decent network option, and how easy would it be for me to set this up? Will the PC/Mac issue be a problem?

2. would I be able to surf the internet on both systems at the same time?

3. My apartment is tiny (about 45-50 feet at the farthest point from the proposed router), would the netgear be a decent choice?

4. I have a DVD burner in my PC, will i be able to use it to back up files on my iBook?

thanks,
rick

John Strung
Senior User
May 29, 2004, 10:44 AM

Your setup will be much simpler and cheaper if you can swap the USB modem for an Ethernet modem. Is that a possibility?

Why can't you add a PCI slot ethernet card to the PC?

hornsofglass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by John Strung:
Your setup will be much simpler and cheaper if you can swap the USB modem for an Ethernet modem. Is that a possibility?

Why can't you add a PCI slot ethernet card to the PC?
well, actually the modem i have is either USB or Ethernet. i just currently use it w/ USB because the PC doesn't have an Ethernet port.
so if needed i can use the modem w/ Ethernet.

and i cannot add Ethernet to the PC because it is an older form factor case and the PCI card slot is taken up by a firewire card for my iPod and external HD.

does this help? is my above mentioned networking configuration workable, and reliable?

thanks,

rick

John Strung
Senior User
May 30, 2004, 11:35 AM

Ok. Now I understand. It is important that your modem also works with ethernet as that is how it will connect to the router. The set up you describe should work to allow you to share your internet connection. As far as file sharing between the Mac and PC goes, that depends on the OS of the Mac. If the Mac is OS X, then you will be able to share files relatively easily. If it is OS 9, you will either need third party software like Dave from http:/www.thursby.com, or will have to set up an FTP client/server, using shareware or freeware software.

You will not be able to share the DVD burner directly, I suspect. You will have to copy files from the Mac to the PC and burn them from the PC.

hornsofglass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 10:27 AM

Ok. Now I understand. It is important that your modem also works with ethernet as that is how it will connect to the router. The set up you describe should work to allow you to share your internet connection. As far as file sharing between the Mac and PC goes, that depends on the OS of the Mac. If the Mac is OS X, then you will be able to share files relatively easily. If it is OS 9, you will either need third party software like Dave from http:/www.thursby.com, or will have to set up an FTP client/server, using shareware or freeware software.

You will not be able to share the DVD burner directly, I suspect. You will have to copy files from the Mac to the PC and burn them from the PC.
well, i went out and got the router and USB adapter yesterday.
connected the cable modem via ethernet to the wireless router (Netgear MR814v2). because i didn't have an ethernet port on the PC i used the USB adapter.
setup was a bit of a pain at first because the router wanted to be connected to a PC via ethernet to set up, but it managed to work anyway.

after a few bad internet connections (just moving really slow, the wireless said it was connected at 11mbs) it all straightened out. Maybe the cable company just happened to be having an overload at the same time i was testing my new internet sharing, i dunno.

anyways, the PC is running XP home, and my brand spankin' new iBook should be here by the end of the week. am i right in thinking that it should just automatically locate my wireless network and go, right out of the box? (i did have airport extreme pre-installed in it).

thanks,

rick

BTW, would one of those USB to Ethernet adapters be a better option for me? i've heard bad things about them.

John Strung
Senior User
May 31, 2004, 09:34 PM

The main problem with USB wireless adapters is that they require drivers. If you update your system software, you may find that the adapter no longer works unless you can get updated drivers.

hornsofglass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 10:57 PM

The main problem with USB wireless adapters is that they require drivers. If you update your system software, you may find that the adapter no longer works unless you can get updated drivers.
if you are refering to the OS itself, i have no intentions of updating to something other than XP on the gateway machine. it's pretty much done as far as that goes. besides, i doubt that the hardware specs on it would even allow for longhorn or whatever when that comes out.
it does everything that it needs to for the most part, and seeing as how i'll have my new iBook soon, this old PC will most likely go with my girlfriend to Vet School. It's pretty stable, fine for the internet (using Firefox), holds a whole lot of mp3's for use in iTunes, burns CD's and DVD's, MS Office, Photoshop and a handfull of other stuff. it's all that she'll need.

me? i'll stick with the iBook and maybe get an eMac or something when she leaves if i need a desktop.
so, i'd imagine that the USB wireless adapter will be just fine until then, no?

r.

Forum Links
Forum Rules