Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Pocket PC Users?

Pocket PC Users?
NittanyToto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2004, 07:44 AM

My new Powerbook 12" should be arriving next week and I was just wondering if anyone else used a Pocket PC in connection with their mac. I know you need a different program then ActiveSync when using mac, but I was just wondering if anyone had any general advice on which of the programs to get get or just general advice on how the Pocket PC and macs work together. Thanks.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 10:36 AM

In the latest MacWorld magazine (arrived yesterday) there's a review. MacWorld liked it a lot.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 11:35 AM

yes, i use a pocket pc with a mac.

there are two options i know of for syncing macs and ppcs:

� the missing sync
� pocketmac

i have no experience with the missing sync but am told it's adequate.

pocketmac is wonderful. it syncs perfectly every time and has all the feature i wanted. i suggest checking it out.

www.pocketmac.net

post back if you have any questions / thoughts. i know how difficult it is to navigate the waters of ppc when you're a mac user and would be happy to help you out.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 03:08 PM

Have to second teh PocketMac program. Used to be a real hunk of garbage but about a year ago they made a major rewrite of it and now it's a great program. I have found it has more capabilites than active sync did on the windows side. Great thing is you can insttall exe's and such made for the pocketpc form the mac using it.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 10:31 PM

PocketMac can only "attempt" to extract the .CAB file enclosed inside the .exe installer (not often success by their own description). The vast majority of Pocket PC applications come as .exe installers, which ONLY Windows can open. One can contact the application author for a .CAB file version of their software, which many will do, but the process gets old fast. Some really good applications only come as .exe installers since the EULA is part of the install.

A third option is to use VPC running a Windows OS and use Activesync natively via USB, which is my choice. Many claim Activesyncing doesn't work in VPC, which is simply wrong. There are details and tips to make it work posted here:

http://homepage.mac.com/brucemillerphoto

It works flawlessly for me and allows full PPC installs and updaters and the other PC-only aspects a Pocket PC uses besides syncing PIM data.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2004, 11:22 PM

I use the missing sync and it does exactly what it says. I sync contacts, calendar etc .

They are very heads up developers, and take note of feedback. If you have a problem, their support is very quick.

I haven't used pocket mac, so can't comment but others here seem to like it.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2004, 11:50 PM

I've used both PocketMac and The Missing Sync...

Here's my take. Both have good and bad points -

PocketMac Pros:
-reliable, fast bluetooth sync.
-better integration into iPhoto and iTunes
-comes with some extra useful software (a PocketWord document reader comes to mind) plus a nice OS X styled PocketPC theme

PocketMac Cons:
-at least on my machine had a serious memory leak; every few days I had to manually quit the bluetooth sync daemon as it would keep claiming RAM (but not releasing)
-iCal integration is either all calendars or none; can't choose to sync some but not others
-calendar entries made on the PocketPC go in to a separate calendar on iCal; can't integrate with other calendars nor can you specify which iCal calendar such events should go in to
-annoying (to me) icons on the desktop (actually application aliases) when the PocketPC and/or memory cards are mounted on the desktop
-a real pain in the butt to de-install; the de-installed misses many items that remain active. Had to manually remove many components

The Missing Sync Pros:
-can choose which iCal calendars to sync (not just all or none)
-can choose which iCal calendar PocketPC-entered items should go in to
-the PocketPC and its memory cards are handled like standard MacOS X volumes when mounted/dismounted; no persistent icons on the desktop
-smaller memory footprint on the Mac
-better iSync integration (behaves more like an iSync module than PocketMac does)

The Missing Sync Cons:
-I've never been able to get bluetooth sync to work with TMS (no trouble with PocketMac)
-occationally would fail to recognize the PocketPC when connected; had to reboot OS X to make TMS see the PocketPC in its cradle (though with recent updates, this is no longer an issue)
-PocketPC program installation is not quite as developed as PocketMac

I was a Missing Sync user, then switched to PocketMac because of bluetooth syncing issues. However, after frustration with its limited iCal integration, I've gone back to The Missing Sync. I rather be without bluetooth syncing for now.

NittanyToto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 10:38 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to have to think about which one I want to start using. I have some time though since my powerbook won't ship until next week. In regard to all the bluetooth issues that were noted, that shouldnt be a huge issue for me since at the moment I don't have a bluetooth card for my pocket pc. Thanks again

NittanyToto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 07:03 PM

just another quick question. Does anyone know if either of these programs will interface with entourage? Thanks for any help.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by NittanyToto:
just another quick question. Does anyone know if either of these programs will interface with entourage? Thanks for any help.
yes, pocketmac does. i do not believe missing sync does. perhaps someone else can answer that for you.

NittanyToto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 09:20 PM

Thanks for such a quick response, I really appreciate all the great advice around here

Forum Links
Forum Rules