Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just ordered my PB!!!

Just ordered my PB!!!
djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 09:49 PM

After 6 years, I was finally able to purchase a new Mac! We decided on the 15" PowerBook. Here are the specs:

1.5Ghz w/ 128MB video
512MB ram + 512MB from newegg.com
80GB 5400 HD
combo drive

Airport Express

It should be here later this week!!! Oh and yes I will post pics so everyone can once again see what a new PowerBook looks like.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 12:37 AM

i'm ordering the exact same one tomorrow.
Ryan

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 01:47 AM

I just got mine yesterday! I bought the 17" with superdrive, the same 128Mb video and faster HD options as yourself but I let Apple install the 1Gb of memory.

Instead of an airport basestation I bought a dlink wireless router at one-third of the cost and had no trouble setting up my adsl and connecting to my old G4 tower. Not sure if it is overly secure but the stats show I am the only one connected.

I also bought the Microsoft bluetooth mouse which seems to be a good investment. I am hoping someone brings out a natural keyboard with bluetooth as I am used to these - so much better that a normal keyboard.

I set up a couple of user accounts - the hot switching between them is excellent!!!

Enjoy!
this sig intentionally left blank

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 01:58 AM

oh, hey...

whenever i try to checkout, it adds an Airport Express to my list of items. and adds about 103CAD$ onto the total. i can't remove it. what's up with that?? anybody experience this?
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 07:48 AM

Well, mine is shipping on or before 07/06/2004. Hopefully it will ship earlier.

Ryan1524, By any chance did you add Airport Express to the order? Are you sure it is not the Airport Extreme card?

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 11:46 AM

nope, there's definitely the AP Extreme card, and then "AP Express Base Station with Airtunes" right under it. i'm charges about 103CAD$ for it.

is this a glitch?? or is apple trying to get people to try the AP Express. by somehow messing up the order and hoping people won't notice.
Ryan

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 12:14 PM

just placed my order for PB 15".

how long does it take for them to BTO?? 2 weeks?? i wish it were faster. can't wait.
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 01:43 PM

Mine's about 1.5 weeks out. I wanted it this weekend, but oh well. Are you going to post pics when you get yours too?

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 02:01 PM

for sure.
Ryan

mginsberg
Jun 30, 2004, 01:16 AM

I just ordered a 15" and it is quoted as 3-5 business days (then 2 days to ship).

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 07:00 AM

my estimated shipping date is August 11.

but sometimes it goes back to July 6. i just hope it's not gonna be August. that's just way too long. by the time it gets here, i'd have lost my sanity from the wait.

btw, what firewire enclosure is best?? OWC? ByteCC? Kingwin?
i think OWC and ByteCC uses Oxford 911, but not sure about Kingwin. i have local access to ByteCC thou, and it's almost half the price of the OWC. which one do you think i should get??
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 09:33 AM

mginsberg, Did you custom order anything on it?

Ryan1524, How come yours keeps going back? Mine has been stuck on July 9 or before since I ordered it. Oh and yes I keep checking about 3 times a day.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:40 AM

yea, two different apple sites give me two different days, sometimes they switch around, soemtimes they have both on July, but now they're both on August.

i do have the VRAM, RAM and HDD upraded thou. so that might push it back longer.
Ryan

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 11:26 AM

I got my a month ago with similar specs and what an amazing piece of equipment! Only thing is that I upgraded the ram myself. Its alot cheaper than upgrading at Apple.

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 11:48 AM

I have the same video and hd upgrade w/ combo driver. I went with memory through newegg.com, much cheaper. I will check mine again through the main apple store...

On or before: 07/06/2004 for the PB
On or before: 07/15/2004 for the Airport Express

Much nicer then the 07/09/2004 times before!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 02:01 PM

ow yea, definitely.

i'm getting the memory outside. what i did was to get them to make the 512 MB 1 DIMM instead of 2. so i can buy another 512 and make it 1gig with minimal loss. i thinkt hat's easier if i want to make it 1gig.

wait a sec...so when did you order yours again?? i just looked up and see your first post. did you order on the same day as the post?? if so, we ordered on the same day?? why are you getting it next week??
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 03:19 PM

I am selling on my of 256MB chips and replacing with 512MB. When prices on 1GB chips come down, I might pick one up. Until then 768MB is just fine.

I ordered mine at 4:11PM PST on 6/28/04. It is still showing 07/06/04

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 03:23 PM

what???

i ordered mine on 09.01 AM PST June 29, and it's now stuck on 08/11/04

that's not fair. and i have the exact same config as yours. ADC or the fact that i'm in Canada shouldn't have any effect on the time it takes to build it right?? or is ADC orders low priority since it's cheaper??

should i call and ask why it's so long??

the woman must be getting tired of me. called her twice already to get her to remove the glitch with the AP Express, and also to bump my order since it wasn't moving to OPEN after 6 hours. it's an ADC customer service, so i get the same person all the time.
( Last edited by Ryan1524; Jun 30, 2004 at 03:31 PM. )
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 03:43 PM

My guess is the Canada thing. This is the first time that I have ordered direct from Apple, so I dont know if this is normal. You have the exact same specs?

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 03:52 PM

Ok well check this out... My order price just went up $49.64 for no reason. Guess I get to call Apple tonight and speak with them!!!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 04:31 PM

well, except i have the one DIMM 512 MB. that's the only difference. but i can't see how that can delay it by 5 weeks compared to yours.
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 04:58 PM

Wow, that does suck. I just noticed you wrote 8/11/04. Guess my eyes skipped over that. I am sure it has either something to do with the ram or you being in Canada. Anyone else order from Apple Canada before?

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 07:38 PM

Well I called Apple and somehow that charge was added even though they could see my initial order amount. They promptly changed it in the system. Now I am happy Too bad I didnt get a free iPod or something

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:58 PM

it's SHIPPED!!!

shipped. wooohoooo!!

can't believe this. it's estimated 1.5 months from now, and not it's SHIPPED. it's out. i got a tracking number for fedex and is estimated to arrive by the end of the week.

edit:

odd, now instead of having the details of shipment such as invoice and tracking numbers, it goes back to saying "Open Est. Ship 08/11/2004." but this statement is under the big black letter "Shipped".

what does this mean??
( Last edited by Ryan1524; Jun 30, 2004 at 11:51 PM. )
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 11:15 AM

The Apple store wont open for me right now... Maybe mine shipped too??? *crosses fingers and repeatedly hits reload

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 11:31 AM

it seems like my iPod's cable died. which means i can't use it, the battery's depleting. i sent a service request, but now their Service site is dead. damn it...

i hope it's really just the cable.

FedEx estimates my PB for tomorrow by noon. yipeee!!. hope they didn't mitakenly sent an empty box. it seems rather odd that i got it shipped only one day after i ordered it - with lots of customs too.
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 11:51 AM

Blast! Mine still says 07/06/04 Maybe it will change soon...

PatsPalace24
Jul 2, 2004, 10:03 PM

I just got mine today, 15" Superdrive, but maxed out like you.. You will love it, as I am typing this on my new baby. Can't get enough of it, and dont know if I ever will. Thanks alot! And also, I really want the airport express too!
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 11:02 PM

yep. just got mine too. this thing is sweet. love the Kb, love the screen. love everything about it. the thing arrived in toronto today, but missed the truck by an hour. there is NO way i can sleep for the next two days till monday knowing that my Pb is sitting in some fedex warehouse. so i asked my dad to drive me down to the airport and we picked it up. lovin' it.

i'll post some pics later, or tomorrow. got a mean headache right now.

officially a mac user. waaaahooooo!!!
Ryan

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 3, 2004, 10:13 AM

as promised

Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 09:32 AM

Dang... Mine hasn't even shipped yet! Cool for you though!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 4, 2004, 12:43 PM

it'll get there. don't worry. and the longer you wait, the sweeter it'll feel when you finally get it.
( Last edited by Ryan1524; Jul 4, 2004 at 01:01 PM. )
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
it'll get there. don't worry. and the longer you wait, the sweeter it'll feel when you finally get it.
Ahh I dont mind that much.... Probably due to the 4th here.

rytc
Senior User
Jul 4, 2004, 07:20 PM

I still find it rather pathetic that the PowerBooks are coming with anything less than 512MB of RAM. For a Pro machine such as this, 1Gb should really be the minimum.
The 12" comes with only 256MB which is really the bare minimum for OS X to be usable.

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2004, 08:31 PM

Did and of you guys buy the final cut express 2 with your powerbook. The special says get it for $99 or $50 with educational discount but when i try to order it says $149, is it a mail in rebate or what, and do you think its preinstalled or it will come unwrapped in a box, thanks.

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Jwylie:
Did and of you guys buy the final cut express 2 with your powerbook. The special says get it for $99 or $50 with educational discount but when i try to order it says $149, is it a mail in rebate or what, and do you think its preinstalled or it will come unwrapped in a box, thanks.
Nope. My PB just left Shanghia, China! I wonder if it will come with some cool non-english labels on it. Anyone know how long it takes to get to the States from China?

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 6, 2004, 12:00 PM

with non-express shipment, it should be there at 10 days MAX. most people reported less. mine was shipped from Cordova, California with express andd it got here on the second day. am i the only one who got their PB shipped from this continent?? lol.

Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 09:35 AM

see sig for current location.

Oh and it will be here tomorrow. I ordered normal shipping yet it is only going to take 2 days to fly from China to me!

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2004, 04:46 PM

I ordered a 17" PB on Friday, July 2. At that time, I only upgraded the video to 128 MB, and was given an OOB date of 7/9 (and then it moved to 7/12). (Educational pricingm btw).

I re-read some things here, and decided to try to upgrade the hard drive to 5400 RPM. I called on Tues, and they said it was ok, I could still do that, it would delay it by another day or so. So I said "fine", and was given an new OOB date of 7/13.

Imagine my surprise when I check my email last night, and it SHIPPED!! It left Sacramentom, CA at 8:30 AM today, and should be here tomorrow...so it will get to me even before they said it would ship! All this with free shipping too!!

Is that normal of Apple? Why are some coming direct from China, and mine is coming from Sacramento? They just "found" one lying around that had the specs I wanted?

-Jake
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 7, 2004, 06:18 PM

mine came from Cordova, very close to sacramento. but i use ADC for that. maybe the ADC and student discount people get theirs done locally??? mine was made in a day. i ordered on June 29. it shipped on June 30. and got here on July 2. lol.
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 08:08 AM

Now it is in Memphis, TN. It is estimated to arrive today by 1030, but unless they flew it in, I doubt it will get here in time... I even have the day off today!!!!!!!!

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Now it is in Memphis, TN. It is estimated to arrive today by 1030, but unless they flew it in, I doubt it will get here in time... I even have the day off today!!!!!!!!
Per FedEx, mine will definitely be delivered today, by 8 PM. And this is "FedEx Ground" or "FedEx Home" (CSR used both terms) not "FedEx", so I have no idea when it will get here. I might just come home for a long lunch and not go back! :-/

BTW: when was the package last in Memphis? I've noticed it takes hours sometimes for status to be updated, both with regular FedEx & Home. Before, it was mroe on the order of 15 minutes from the time it was scanned to the time it showed up on the web.

-Jake

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 8, 2004, 02:21 PM

yea, my package was stuck in memphis for hours too. but it got to toronto the next morning. but then Canada customs delayed it again and it missed the truck by an hour. my dad drove me to the airport to pick it up - or i'd have to wait till monday. that's 2 days i can't survive through. lol.
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 02:32 PM

I am really impressed!!! By PowerBook arrived at 845CST this morning! I ran some tests and WOW!!! It is much faster then my Beige G3. I just reinstalled OS X and am now reinstalling the applications. I can't wait to start programming on it tonight! Oh and this thing does not get hot at all... Very cool even after running for over 4 hours! Well, time to get back to my new toy.

NittanyToto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 07:46 PM

My powerbook shipped on monday from Asia and was here in Kansas by wednesday. I was very very impressed, especially since I just got the basic shipping.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 08:04 PM

It's here...typing this reply on my new 17" PowerBook, with 128 MB VRAM and the upgraded hard drive. I am shocked at shipping speeds too. I ordered Friday night, and had the printer on Tues, and the PowerBook today, all with the free shipping. I can't complain at all!

Now if only the new displays were shipping now too!

-Jake

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 8, 2004, 08:12 PM

damn. what's with all this fast shippings with the free one. i shoud've saved myself 18$.
Ryan

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
damn. what's with all this fast shippings with the free one. i shoud've saved myself 18$.
Who knows...maybe since mine was an educational purchase, it was just sitting around somewhere gathering dust.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 8, 2004, 08:46 PM

i used to hear people moaning and groaning coz their PB are delayed, so i thought express would be nicer. but suddenly PB seem to be available in abundance. or maybe Apple is upping their customer service.

recently my ipod broke, and i thought it was the cable, i asked for a new one through the web and few days later it got here. no questions asked. once i found out the new cable did nothing to it, i requested another repair, and two days later, i got a box to send it off. very nice service experience so far. i just hope that pod comes back healthy and unscratched. i've babied it - if they don't, i'd be pretty pissed.
Ryan

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 10:37 PM

Ahh this machine is nice! I have to figure out how to use 10.3 now! This thing compiles in about a tenth of the time on our old machine. Oh and adding 512MB ram really helps too!

Forum Links
Forum Rules