Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple PowerBook 15" vs. IBM ThinkPad T42

View Poll Results: PC or Mac
Poll Options:
PC 4 votes (18.18%)
Mac 18 votes (81.82%)
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll
Apple PowerBook 15" vs. IBM ThinkPad T42
mr_mbuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 02:51 AM

I can't decide!!!

Laptops

Manufacturer: Apple
Model: PowerBook M9422LL/A
Processor: PowerPC G4
Megahertz: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache: 512KB
System Bus: 167MHz
Display: 15.2-inch 1280x854 widescreen
RAM: 512MB DDR SDRAM (333 MHz)
RAM Slots: 2 up to 2GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 � 128MB
Hard Drive: 80GB Ultra ATA/100 @ 5400 rpm
Optical Drive: Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) (24/8/24/16)
Networking: 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
Modem: 56k V.92
Wireless: 802.11g 54-megabit Airport Extreme & Bluetooth
Operating System: Mac OS X v10.3 Panther
Battery: 50Wh Lithium-Ion
Battery Life: Up to 4.5 Hours
Accessories: Backlit full-size keyboard
S-video to composite adapter, DVI to VGA adapter
Internal Microphone
Apple iPod (20GB)
Warranty: 3 Years AppleCar e Complete Coverage

Ports: RJ-11, RJ-45, FireWire 800, 2x USB2, PC Card,
DVI-out, S-video-out, Audio-minijack-in, Headphone-minijack-out,
Dimensions: 13.7 x 9.5 x 1.1
Weight: 5.7 pounds

Price: $2,308.00 (Student Developer Price)
$99.00 (Student Developer Membership Fee)
$239.00 (AppleCare Extended Warranty)
-$200.00 (iPod Rebate)
-----------
$2,446.00

Manufacturer: IBM
Model: ThinkPad T42 2378EYU
Processor: Intel Pentium-M 745
Megahertz: 1.8GHz
L2 Cache: 2MB
System Bus: 400MHz
Display: 15.0-inch 1400x1050 SXGA+ FlexView
RAM: 512MB DDR SDRAM (333MHz)
RAM Slots: 2
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 � 64MB
Hard Drive: 60GB Ultra ATA/100 @ 7200 rpm
Optical Drive: Combo II Slim Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) (24/24/24/8)
Networking: Intel Gigabit Ethernet
Modem: 56k V.90
Wireless: 802.11g 54-megabit Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG & Bluetooth
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Battery: High-Capacity 9-cell Lithium-Ion
Battery Life: Up to 7.0 Hours
Accessories: Internal microphone
IBM Active HDD Protection System
ThinkLight keyboard light
Warranty: 4 Year Depot Repair

Ports: RJ-11, RJ-45, 2x USB2, PC Card, Parallel, DB-15 External Monitor, Infrared, S-video-out, Audio-minijack-in, Headphone-minijack-out
Dimensions: 13.0 x 10.6 x 1.3
Weight: 5.8 pounds

Price: $2,710.07
-$497.26 15% Education Discount
-------------
$2,212.81

I'm haven't completely ruled out Dell, Toshiba, and other notebook manufacturers... but I don't want to consider any unknown or boutique brands. I built my own desktop, but for a laptop I want the support of a reliable company. I want around a 15" screen, no more than 7 pounds, a Pentium M 745/1.8GHz or comparable processor, wireless connectivity, and good battery life.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 02:55 AM

uh, that's the old titanium powerbook. and i would pick the powerbook.

and how did you get that thinkpad for 2000-ish?? last time i tried to find a T41/2 that's around the same spec range as the PB, it was 2000$ more.
Ryan

mr_mbuna  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 03:09 AM

Ryan - nothing amazing really, just custom-built it on IBM's website, saw that their education section was just slapping 15% discounts on everything, and did the calculation myself. I think the real easter egg discovery was the Student Developer hardware discount on the Apple, AND the PowerBook/iPod discount deal. That may be the one-two deal clencher for me on the Apple.

perbl
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 03:57 AM

Apple:
+Design design design
+The OS
+DVI-Connector

IBM:
+Robustness along with a not totally lame design, I also think that it is a more solid chassis than the powerbook
-The OS, but of course you can install some kind of Unix on it if you want
+Battery time

Hard decision, I would base my decision on the OS and the robustness, as these are both excellent laptops designed to be used, but if you know that you are going to travel with it all the time, often in rough conditions, I would have chosen the IBM if I was not specially interested in Mac OS, since the IBMs features some of the best designed and solid chassis out there. The Powerbook is not that bad either, but it is more of a business machine which is best suited in a solid case when you are on the road, if you catch my meaning.

If you know you can be gentle to your machine, I would have chosen the powerbook (which I have now, 12" though, but still), excellent laptop, my favourite OS, and bonuses such as DVI-out.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 07:39 AM

Let me get this straight your posting in a mac forum that you can't decide between an ibm and a mac. Most if not all of the posts are going to be heavily favoring the mac.

What you didn't put in your post is what do you want to do with it. Is the software available for the mac?

The PC may be a better fit for you what your looking to do, i.e., running autocad.

For me its a no brainer - the PowerBook. Superior design, superior OS and imho superior quality.

Mike

Voch
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 07:51 AM

Gee...100% Mac in the poll so far. Go figure.

NittanyToto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 07:53 AM

As was said earlier, not knowing your specific needs I would say get the PB. I use a thinkpad at work and can't wait until I get home everyday to use my PB!

ryju
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 08:29 AM

Pick the PowerBook, you won't regret it.

rmongold
Jul 28, 2004, 08:32 AM

Nittany - that's somewhat interesting... I use a Thinkpad at work and have found it to be the best Windows machine (should such a beast exist) I've used yet. That being said, it does help that any time I have a hardware problem work just ships me a new machine

Either way, unless you really need the ability to run Windows apps at native speed (ie, not emulated - this would really only apply to games and really heavy duty graphics stuff), I'd go Mac.

mbryda
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by mr_mbuna:
I'm haven't completely ruled out Dell, Toshiba, and other notebook manufacturers...
Dell = Garbage - both PC's and Laptops
Toshiba = Good laptops

If you want a decent machine - check the HP AMD64 Laptops or the Athlon XP-M laptops. For the XP-M, they get decent battery life, have built in wireless, and are decent machines.

But, I'd go with the Apple, hands down.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 01:14 PM

OS X is great; I say you give the PB a chance.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

pete
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 01:15 PM

Hmm, I don't think the apple is the only choice here. IBM thinkpads are really very good, extremely rugged, great displays and have almost everything the powerbook has. If it weren't for the OS, which is really important, I'd be tempted to go with IBM. I think the IBM also has a three year standard warranty. BUT, Windows XP is awful compared to Panther and that's what you're going to be working with every day so....

I still say powerbook.

Snake
Jul 28, 2004, 01:29 PM

Nothing like posting on a Mac forum to get an unbiased comparison of Macs and PC's!

Seriously though, I think you have already made your choice, if you are posting here. My experience with Windows Laptops has been absolutely awful, from both a hardware and software perspective. Mac laptops are the only true desktop replacements I can personally think of.
15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

mr_mbuna  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 01:36 PM

Gah, those bastards at Apple just told me that I can't combine the Developer pricing and the iPod rebate... that means my total price would be $2,646 instead of $2,446. :thumbdown:

No worries about where I posted this, guys - I posted on Bimmerforums.com, Honda-Tech.com, and Thinkpads.com too!

Gig103
Jul 28, 2004, 04:52 PM

I voted for the Thinkpad. In fact I was just recommending one to someone. For people used to Windows, there are no better laptops out there. I am actually a hardcore Microsoft user/fan and like the ability to game from time to time.

Then why did I get the powerbook? Because I have a good desktop, and because I needed a Unix-like environment, but with OS X the negatives to Linux (no microsoft word or photoshop, hard to configure) are gone.

Something else to consider: PB has 800mbps firewire and DVI, but the T42 has a better screen resolution. I wish i had the 1400x1050dpi, but Expose helps a lot.
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

Snake
Jul 28, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by mr_mbuna:
Gah, those bastards at Apple just told me that I can't combine the Developer pricing and the iPod rebate... that means my total price would be $2,646 instead of $2,446. :thumbdown:

No worries about where I posted this, guys - I posted on Bimmerforums.com, Honda-Tech.com, and Thinkpads.com too!
Biased in a good way, is what I was getting at

At least when you do post here, you get honest answers from people who have used Powerbooks, and vice-versa from thinkpads.com. Still, I think your choice is merely asthetic at this point...

What did the honda and bimmer people say?
15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

Mackill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 11:00 PM

Dear All:
Recently I put an order in for a T42P, 80GB HD, 512GB ram and the above display. Price came to about $3500 and it usually sells for 4500. My only need was to have a laptop that I could practice Windows on. I know, you can get cheaper stuff to practice on, but should my business dealings get stuck 100% on the pc side , I wanted the top of the line laptop and not worry about upgrading.

IBM was recommended by some MIT grads that deem IBM as the standard in laptops. Sonys - Vaios (sometimes spelled Vile) gave them bad experiences - hardware and software. Dells - too heavy and brittle; Toshiba same as Dell. I have two Pwrbooks in 17" - one first gen 1.33GHz and one 1.5GHz. I carry the 1.5GHz and plan to carry (in the same messenger type bag) the Thinkpad.

My point is that I cannot avoid the windows world. I plan to be in future job assignments that are completely anti-mac. Conform or get out type of atmosphere. Virtual PC is a joke no matter how much speed your processor has. It will never be a sub for a dedicated pc.

Anyway, forgive the tedious post. I am a Mac fan and believe me it is painful to admit that I must conform in order to get paid. But when the clock is off, the Mac comes out! Although, as a freelance video pro, I do make money doing production work but I don't consider using a mac as work.

I got the best of both worlds (expensive though).
Any critics - fire away!
Sincerely,
Mackill

AndrewP
Jul 28, 2004, 11:25 PM

I have a 15" 1.5GHz AL Book and a T42p (2379dyu - 1.8GHz/1GB/80GB/UXGA). I like them both very much for different reasons.

I've been a Mac user since the original 128K and later spent about 10 years as a UNIX admin. Linux is cool, but I don't like it as a desktop OS... OS X just makes more sense to me (and I can get real applications for it).

For the past 5 years or so I've been less hands on in the UNIX world and have spent more time in the Windows space at work. When I did my recent tech refresh I picked up the PB and the T42p (best of both worlds).

The T42p is an awesome machine. It's super-fast and has excellent video performance (for a laptop). The 1600x1200 resolution is very useful and the machine is built like a tank. Windows is anoying, but overall I'm very happy with the machine.

The problem is... I haven't turned it on in over a week. At first I thought that I would need a Windows box for a couple of apps, but later I found that Graffle and VirtualPC have pretty much taken care of all of my needs. I'm considering selling the T42p as I just don't see myself using it much (and it was $3000!!!)

OK, enough rambling... It really comes down to the OS. The T42p is easily the best intel laptop I've gotten my mits on in the recent past. The quality of the PB is on par, but performance is a little lower.

If anyone wants the T42p it's for sale ;-)

-Andrew

Forum Links
Forum Rules