Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > os x + pocket pc?

os x + pocket pc?
nuggetman
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 07:46 PM

is there a way to sync my pocket pc and mac without spending $30 to $50 on sync software? or would it be better to just switch to palm.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 08:06 PM

Is switching to Palm going to be less than the cost of the $30-$50 software?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 08:49 PM

Pocket PC is much better than Palm. The ability to open Office documents alone is worth it. I did pay $29 for a sync program and it works quite well with my Dell Axim X5 and OS X.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Pocket PC is much better than Palm. The ability to open Office documents alone is worth it. I did pay $29 for a sync program and it works quite well with my Dell Axim X5 and OS X.
Well I have to disagree here, I can open office docs with my T3, infact Documents to go is superior to Pocket office, in that DTG retains and supports more formatting and formulas then pocket excel does.

Mike

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Actually, Palm handles office documents too. And many people actually think Palm (with 3rd party software) does it better.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 12:26 AM

I use PocketMac www.pocketmac.net

It works great but you will encounter problems installing and syncing if you use any of the unsanity haxies... I found out the hard way, but I had another mac I installed it on.

pocketmac also has other products that let you back up your entire pocketpc on your mac os x computer.... a bonus which used to be something you could only do on your pc.

It cost's but it's worth it... it also adds a plugin for iSync.

NittanyToto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 08:14 AM

The whole pocket pc vs. palm issue is pretty much a matter of preference. I am a pocket pc user and I use pocket mac as well. It does cost a little bit, but I have not had a problem with it. Basically like someone already said if you enjoy the pocket pc interface, it is cheaper to spend the $30 on the sync software instead over $150 for a new palm device.

Forum Links
Forum Rules