Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > future powerbook feature?

future powerbook feature?
Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 08:32 PM

it looks like apple is using IBMs active hard drive protection system on the new powerbooks, I wonder of they will employ IBMs integrated finger print scanner, it reminds me of the "my voice is my password" feature of os 9

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/thinkpad/short_desc.html

{what happened to my last thread btw?}

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 11:54 PM

I thought I read that Apple came up with this on their own, and that IBM's is different. (Apple uses technology on the motherboard, while IBM's is on the hard drive itself.)

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 01:17 AM

IBM didn't create the fingerprint scanner login thing, either. Several years ago, one of the girls that was getting a degree with me at UNCC was working on this software.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Steve Bosell  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2005, 01:39 AM

i am sure there are plenty people out there working on digital finger print technology.

anyway I could see apple bringing this technology to the powerbook

aafuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 02:28 AM

MS offers a keyboard and mouse with Fingerprint reading-but works on PC onlys, I'd wish Apple include something similar.
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!"

A.A.'s Mac-Mac mini Core Solo 1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB SATA HDD, Combo Drive, OS X 10.4.5, iWork '06, iLife '06, Logic Express 7. Mouse-Logitech G7, Keyboard-MS Digital Media Keyboar
Fifth Generation iPod (30GB)-White

electric monk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 05:12 PM

First Apple does the hard drive protection a different way then IBM, but achieves the same affect.

Secondly you can buy USB devices with a fingerprint scanner that you plug into your computer and it only works when it is in there (or of course passwords if you lose it).

jmagic
Feb 23, 2005, 05:54 PM

hard drive protection

it acheives the same goal ultimately, but if you change the HD, the powerbook will take any HD, and it will still be protected, while the IBM needs to have a "compatible" HD to keep this function.

the fingerprint thing is definitely not new, and i doubt IBM invented it. In hong kong, i saw many fujitsu laptops with this feature
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 23, 2005, 11:15 PM

Considering that some fingerprint scanners can be defeated using a wet gummy bear, I am not too disappointed that Apple's not yet including such immature technology.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules