Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTunes and Independent Shows

iTunes and Independent Shows
MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2005, 04:50 PM

What do you think about the prospect of iTunes selling independent shows? Say that an indie studio makes a good quality show that has never been on TV . Would you be willing to pay $1.99 for it even though it wasn't made by a major studio? I would love this and it would help indie folks out a lot.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2005, 03:11 AM

It'd be nice but... are there indie studios? I think for that sorta thing you'd do best getting together a video podcast of some sort.

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2005, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
It'd be nice but... are there indie studios? I think for that sorta thing you'd do best getting together a video podcast of some sort.
Video podcasts are nice but I meant a full blown Net/TV show. Basically, imagine a show that is of the same quality of the stuff that is on TV except independent. This kind of stuff is possible now with editing suites like Final Cut Pro/Avid and cameras like the DVX-100A and XL-2. It doesn't take millions to make a good indie show.
( Last edited by MallyMal; Oct 16, 2005 at 03:46 AM. )

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2005, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal
. Would you be willing to pay $1.99 for it even though it wasn't made by a major studio? I would love this and it would help indie folks out a lot.
No.
The only way to make money on that in the current market is to offer the show for free. If it is good and develops viewership then the "indie folks" can sell ad space to splice into the show or on their website.

In fact I would still like to see the numbers on how much viewership can switch from TV to iTMS before the studios and networks loose revenue on advertising because clients aren't getting the exposure they pay for. It would have be quite a significant percentage but there is a point where it happens. I am sure someone at ABC/Disney did the research before agreeing to this partnership.

But no chance on the iTMS model working for unknown shows with no established viewers.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 16, 2005, 04:44 AM

Not gonna happen bubs. Apple will only sell polished "Hollywood" type material. Stuff that can be swallowed down by the average consumer whore on the street. I am however going to give you "four" points for your wishful thinking and up-beat 'tude (attitude).

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2005, 07:49 PM

You never know. If there was a really good show I could see it happening. But not for $2. Maybe for $1 or something like that.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 08:04 PM

Yeah, I think this will happen late october in year 2150.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules