Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Official MacNN Health Thread

Official MacNN Health Thread
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 06:42 AM

Ok this thread is for those who want to share the secrets to a healthy living. Ways to improve muscle tone, foods to eat, methods of balancing out a busy day what ever is health related. Lets see all your guy's secrets.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 23, 2005, 06:48 AM

Please eat green vegetables and grains beans and nuts also carrots. Eat only when you're hungry. No snacking. Sweat every day. Breathe through your nose. Drink water. Do not take carbonated liquids. Do not take very cold liquids, as they upset digestion. Abstain from eating all meat as it rots inside you and angries up the blood. Wash your body, including your testicles every day. Do not shampoo your hair. Do not drink milk and do not eat cheese, as it makes you fat and ugly. That's all for now.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 07:10 AM

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 07:14 AM

Live different than I do.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 23, 2005, 07:19 AM

enlighten us on how joo live..andreas gee four so that we guys may know how to avoid your twisted sad path.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
Please eat green vegetables and grains beans and nuts also carrots.
Ahaaaaa! So you're the crazy guy who writes that all over Sydney.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Ok this thread is for those who want to share the secrets to a healthy living. Ways to improve muscle tone, foods to eat, methods of balancing out a busy day what ever is health related. Lets see all your guy's secrets.
Go veggie.
Drink at least 2L of water a day.
Lower your sugar intake.
Get to the gym three times a week.
Don't put anything up your butt (it's an exit, not an entrance).
Don't be a leftie (raises your blood pressure and makes your forehead veins pulsate).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Go veggie.
Drink at least 2L of water a day.
Lower your sugar intake.
Get to the gym three times a week.
Don't be a leftie (raises your blood pressure and makes your forehead veins pulsate).
I'll pass on the Veggie and the Leftie lol, ive already started doing the 2L water a day thing, and working on the evil sugar intake. Gym its bloody hard to find the time to do that.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Gym its bloody hard to find the time to do that.
Yeah, the goal to start with is just to get there three times a week - doesn't matter if you're not there long, just condition yourself into going.

Here's a good site for you to have a look around:
http://www.exrx.net/

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 10:07 AM

It's important to eat in moderation, stop when you feel full.

Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and grains. Limit red meat. A handful of nuts per day, plain that is, will help to lower cholesterol.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 10:12 AM

There's no secret recipe, or magical formula.

I think if you take everyhting in moderation you'll be ok. Want a beer, fine, you want to drink a case in one sitting, not so fine. Your liver will start complaining in a few years.

The older i get the more I see how a balanced lifestyle is where its at. Our bodies were designed for physical activity, so if your like me sitting at a desk for 10 hours a day, its important to work out at the gym.

Avoiding carbs and eating high fatty foods, not so good, eating only vegitbles w/o meat - your missing out on important nutrients.

Mike

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 10:29 AM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
eating only vegitbles w/o meat - your missing out on important nutrients.
Wrong, sorry.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 01:07 PM

Drink water. Good water. Lots of it.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

SVass
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 01:36 PM

Don't go to the gym! Plant a garden, hoe weeds, shovel snow, and mow your own lawn instead. Move away from the city and polluted air that poisons your lungs. Don't eat junk food or buy processed chemical food with strange additives. If you work indoors in a conditioned environment, make sure that the air quality is occasionally tested. Drink high quality whiskey. sam

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 01:41 PM

exercise & eating right. i do some of both so i'm doing alright

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
enlighten us on how joo live..andreas gee four so that we guys may know how to avoid your twisted sad path.
No. I want all to suffer! Mhuawawawa……

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
do you actually like those? or just like posting pictures of them?

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

freudling
Banned
Oct 23, 2005, 02:10 PM

Americans are synonymous with fast food. You guys are have to slow down your meals. Everyone is in such a rush. I was in Hollywood recently, and, I couldn't help but etch an image of a, for me, "typical" middle to upper-class guy in my mind. I was at Burger King by LAX, close to the Budget Rental Car lot, and, there was this semi-handsome guy with a plaid short-sleeved shirt, jeans and running shoes waiting for his whopper talking on his cell phone: then to leave and get into his huge Suburban - black.

I have to say, the customer service down there is unprecedented.

What is wrong with carbonated drink, like water?

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 03:44 PM

Eat 6 times a day, not 3. (Stop when full each time)
Water ≥2L/day
Be active - bike to the office, park far away and walk, take the stairs.
Veggies and fruits - walk to the market
Slow down. Take your time when eating.
Exercise properly - form over function in whatever you do (especially lifting weights)
Oatmeal, oatmeal, oatmeal. Kill your cholesterol.
For Christ's sake - stretch.
Get protein from fish over red meat.
Exercise by doing something you enjoy. Don't go to the gym because you 'have to'. You won't.
Supplement if you can't eat right, but don't break the bank.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
All of the above.

historylme
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 01:39 PM

Have Sex.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 02:21 PM

Stay hydrated, wash your hands.
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2005, 02:42 PM

throwing up after meals is the trick

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by freudling
Americans are synonymous with fast food. You guys are have to slow down your meals. Everyone is in such a rush. I was in Hollywood recently, and, I couldn't help but etch an image of a, for me, "typical" middle to upper-class guy in my mind. I was at Burger King by LAX, close to the Budget Rental Car lot, and, there was this semi-handsome guy with a plaid short-sleeved shirt, jeans and running shoes waiting for his whopper talking on his cell phone: then to leave and get into his huge Suburban - black.

I have to say, the customer service down there is unprecedented.

What is wrong with carbonated drink, like water?
I love how you stereotype Americans by starting off with "I was at Burger King" and precede that with "...have to slow down your meals. Everyone is in such a rush."

Here let me stereotype a foreigner:

"Look at zat fat ameri-can. He iz so stupit wit his ameri-can french fries and hiz huge ameri-can sod-az. Oh what? Yez, I'd like un whopper with a side of ze ameri-can french fries and a liter-a-cola"

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 04:57 PM

The key to health?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000337020983/

Oh, and being a vegetarian helps (I've been one now for a few months, so far so good...)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 05:34 PM

A small shot of vodka first thing in the morning even before you brush your teeth and another shot just before you shut eye at 0200.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 24, 2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
They put lead in your pencil...

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 06:04 PM

For me:

1) No smoking.

2) Bigger breakfast. Smaller dinner. Frequent small meals throughout the day.

3) Mega water intake.

4) Brazilian jiu jitsu 3 times a week. Traditional Japanese jujutsu 2 times a week.

5) Walk dog every day.

My big weakness is crappy sleep habits. I shift work, days and nights, and it makes it hard to get into a good sleep routine.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2005, 06:08 PM

Go veggie.
And to all the ladies: don't put anything in your vagina (it's an exit, not an entrance).

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 24, 2005, 06:09 PM

Actually the vagina is both, unlike the anus.

But hey, if someone wants to shove large dowels in their ass I would care less, and probably have little effect on their health.. other than maybe splinters.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Actually it's both kmkkid.
So is a butt

If you ever watched south park, you'd know you can eat through your butt and poo through your mouth.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 24, 2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
So is a butt

If you ever watched south park, you'd know you can eat through your butt and poo through your mouth.
I think they were making a point about people talking alot of ****.

What a coincidence.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I think they were making a point about people talking alot of ****.
"Following new, trendy, fashionable fads* for the sake of it", I believe.

( * like sticking stuff up your butt.)

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2005, 06:39 PM

Here's the secret: eat the way that works for you, and exercise more than you think you need to.

That's not a cop out, but all the formulas above are too cookiecutter. Everyone's constitution is different, and so everyone's needs are different. For example, you CAN get all the nutrients you need from either a vegetarian OR vegan diet, but it takes a bit of effort to make it work in vegetarian eating and a LOT of work in vegan eating.

Some rules are indeed pretty universal: cut down on refined sugars as much as possible, limit animal fats and poly- and unsaturated vegetable fats (monounsaturated fats, such as those in peanuts and avocados are actually good for you), and don't eat more than you need to. That last statement is tricky, because being "full" is not necessarily a requirement; if you're trying to lose weight, eating smaller portions until you feel satisfied with them helps immensely-just don't fall off the wagon.

Exercise a lot. Take the stairs. Don't worry about a close in parking spot. Jog or bicycle. Lift weights (and not just the 12 or 16oz diminishing variety, either!). Do push ups and sit ups. STRETCH a WHOLE LOT. Basically keep every muscle in your body active on a daily basis. It takes some work just to figure out how to have the time for a good gym workout, but parking farther out and taking the stairs to the office takes zero extra planing and only a couple extra minutes.

Originally Posted by kmkkid
And to all the ladies: don't put anything in your vagina (it's an exit, not an entrance).
Wrong-O! It's built to be both, and being a muscular organ, exercising the vagina is healthful and fun! I'm available for a variety of coaching tasks...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2005, 06:40 PM

"Following new, trendy, fashionable fads* for the sake of it", I believe.

( * like sticking stuff up your butt.)
Finger your anus sometime, you might enjoy it. Actually I almost guarantee you will.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 06:52 PM

Some one mentioned drinking "mega" amounts of water; not necessarily a good idea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/20/sp...pagewanted=all

Marathoners Warned About Too Much Water

By GINA KOLATA
Correction Appended

Dr. Lewis G. Maharam, the medical director for the New York City Marathon and marathons in San Diego, Phoenix, Nashville and Virginia Beach, said he was taking every opportunity this year to educate runners about the biggest threat to their lives on race day - drinking too much water.

He knows the danger: in their zeal to avoid becoming dehydrated, runners may end up drinking so much that they dilute their blood. Water rushes into cells, including cells of the brain. The swollen brain cells press against the skull, and the result can be fatal. The resulting condition is known as hyponatremia - too much water.

"There are no reported cases of dehydration causing death in the history of world running," Maharam said. "But there are plenty of cases of people dying of hyponatremia."

No one knows how many have died, said Dr. Arthur Siegel, the chief of internal medicine at McLean Hospital in Belmont, Mass., and the designated hyponatremia team leader for recent Boston Marathons. But he said that perhaps a dozen hyponatremia deaths had been recognized, according to informal communications among doctors at recent marathons.

So this year, for the first time, the participant handbook for runners in the Nov. 6 New York City Marathon tells them how much to drink - no more than eight ounces of water every 20 minutes.

Maharam also makes sure the message is delivered via television shows that feature news about the marathon. He makes an announcement at the start of the marathon about how much to drink. And there will be a flier in the goody bags telling each runner, once again, of the dangers of drinking too much.

Even though Gatorade is one of the sponsors and the race features Gatorade's new sports drink, Gatorade Endurance Formula, Maharam said that sports drinks were no better than water. Eight ounces of fluid every 20 minutes is plenty.

But it is a message that is not always heard. Last year, one percent of the more than 35,000 New York City marathoners developed hyponatremia, Maharam said, and although that is a smaller toll than in other cities' marathons, doctors say every one of those life-threatening medical emergencies could have been avoided.

To make matters worse, medical treatments for hyponatremia are often disastrous. Some doctors mistakenly think the runner is dehydrated and give intravenous fluids.

The extent of the problem may go far beyond the number of runners who have been hospitalized for it. A recent study of runners in the 2002 Boston Marathon found that 13 percent who finished the race had hyponatremia. And those were runners who thought they were fine and were just participating in a study. If such a runner continued to drink after the marathon, perhaps thinking that feelings of nausea and malaise were due to dehydration, the runner could end up with seizures or slip into a coma, doctors say.

That is what happened to Mark Robinson, a 27-year-old computer programmer from West Roxbury, Mass., who sees his story as a cautionary tale.

The day of the 2004 Boston Marathon dawned unusually hot. The race was on April 19, but the temperature was projected to reach nearly 90 degrees. Robinson was concerned. It was his first marathon, he had been training for six months, and he wanted to run it in four hours or less. "I sweat a lot," he said. With weather like that, he worried he might become dehydrated. So he tried to make sure he drank enough.

"I drank more than a gallon of water before the race, and then at every rest stop I would stop and have a couple of drinks of water," he said. He was on pace until Mile 19 when, suddenly, he felt nauseous and his legs began to cramp. He forced himself to continue, but by Mile 23 he could no longer run. "I tried to power-walk it in," Robinson said.

His parents met him at the finish line, bringing water. He drank two quarts, but he felt worse than ever. Not only was he vomiting and having diarrhea, Robinson said, but "I felt spacey, out of it, almost like I was on drugs."

His parents got a wheelchair and took him to the medical tent, where the person doing triage at the entrance asked if he could stand on his own. He could. He said he was told, "We have people here who are lying down," and was sent away. His parents helped him walk to the subway and took him to their home in Wayland, Mass. All the while, Robinson was drinking water and drinking Gatorade and vomiting.

Robinson said: "I felt completely mentally out of it. It was a strange sensation. Deep down, I knew something really, really wasn't right. It was like a feeling of impending doom. My father wanted me to take a bath, but I didn't want to be alone. I looked at my dad and he was talking and his mouth was kind of going," but, Robinson said, he could no longer hear what his father was saying.

Suddenly, Robinson screamed, leaped into the air, and fell down on his shoulder, breaking it. He lay on the floor, unconscious and no longer breathing.

His mother called 911 and a helicopter arrived. On the flight to Boston Medical Center, Robinson received intravenous fluids; the medical team thought he was dehydrated.

He ended up in a coma, on life support, and woke up four days later. His problem? Hyponatremia - poisoned by drinking too much water.

Robinson still runs, but much shorter distances. "I'll never run a long race again," he said. And forget marathons, he added. "My wife would never give me permission," he said.

Dr. Paul Thompson, a cardiologist, a marathon runner and a director of the Athletes' Heart program at Hartford Hospital, said: "Everyone's been told to drink water, drink water, drink water. Water companies want you to drink water like a fish. Then you dilute your blood and your brain starts to swell. You have healthy people running marathons and dying. Has the word gotten out? No."

Even now, more than a year later, Robinson says he is still shaken from his near-death experience after the Boston Marathon. "You would never, ever think that water could kill you," he said.

Correction: Oct. 21, 2005, Friday:

A sports article yesterday about the danger of drinking water excessively during marathons misstated the toll of hyponatremia, a resulting condition that developed in about 1 percent of the 35,000 runners in the New York City Marathon last year. Dr. Lewis Maharam, medical director of the race, said that a small percentage of those runners had required hospital visits, and two had required an overnight stay; not all were hospitalized.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2005, 07:18 PM

Too much water CAN KILL YOU. A couple years ago a kid in Air Force Basic Training (where they stress staying hydrated-after all it's in San Antonio!) managed to die from "water intoxication." He literally drank so much water that his electrolytes were so diluted that his heart couldn't work. If you drink enough water to feel a need to pee every few hours, you're doing fine. Any set amount is not only arbitrary, it's probably wrong for 90% of everyone because of variations in individuals' size and body composition. Drink PLENTY of water, but don't go overboard.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
a LOT of work in vegan eating.
i really dont think so. "eat things that are lots of different colors", thats my basic rule. assuming youre not going to go on the "french fry/spaghetti" vegan diet, its kind of hard to not hit the important vitamin points.

maybe its just me though. and i like salads and pretty much every vegetable.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 09:15 PM

Drink tons of water.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Drink tons of water.
2 litres per day will do.

And make it chilled - your body will use an extra couple of calories just heating it up in your stomach.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 24, 2005, 09:33 PM

Cold water impears digestion. Room temperature is the way to go.

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 01:36 AM

Ummm.....

Hyponatremia is remarkably rare in the average person, and rarely occurs in a person who drinks what we would often call "mega" amounts of water per day (8-15 8 ounce glasses per day, though the validity of these numbers is currently in question), assuming a normal diet, exercise level, diuretic intake, etc.

Hyponatremia tends to occur in situations involving high level athletes, as mentioned above, or in psych patients that have a perceived addiction to water.

Let's not get to panicky.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 02:49 AM

I sometimes only eat a sandwich a day. I work out at home. I regularly run outside 7 km's. I eat 4 kinds of multivitamins every 2 days.

that's it. for the rest i make sure i have a stressless job and have great friends.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by James L
Ummm.....

Hyponatremia is remarkably rare in the average person, and rarely occurs in a person who drinks what we would often call "mega" amounts of water per day (8-15 8 ounce glasses per day, though the validity of these numbers is currently in question), assuming a normal diet, exercise level, diuretic intake, etc.

Hyponatremia tends to occur in situations involving high level athletes, as mentioned above, or in psych patients that have a perceived addiction to water.

Let's not get to panicky.
True, very true. But it is easy to go below where you should be if you push water-see my above post about the Airman who died from water intoxication. I can cite several other situations, such as this one, this one, and this one. It truly takes extraordinary circumstances to cause hyponatremia, but it is not as rare as it should be.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 11:10 AM

I see that the moderators are removing posts here.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 11:17 AM

Moderation is important.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
True, very true. But it is easy to go below where you should be if you push water-see my above post about the Airman who died from water intoxication. I can cite several other situations, such as this one, this one, and this one. It truly takes extraordinary circumstances to cause hyponatremia, but it is not as rare as it should be.
Yup... agreed.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 12:20 PM

2 litres per day will do.

And make it chilled - your body will use an extra couple of calories just heating it up in your stomach.
This displays a little bit of ignorance about how digestion actually works. Your body doesn't actively heat anything up. The heat is just a byproduct of muscle contraction.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by UNTiMac
This displays a little bit of ignorance about how digestion actually works. Your body doesn't actively heat anything up. The heat is just a byproduct of muscle contraction.
However your body WILL have to expend more calories because cool water WILL reduce the temperature of the esophagus and stomach. And part of the way it will do that is by muscle contractions in the stomach (smooth muscle) and across the abdomen (skeletal muscle). I've seen people get the shivers from downing really cold drinks (and it looks cute on a young lady in a bikini, by the way).

Forum Links
Forum Rules