Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Playlist by Directory

iTunes Playlist by Directory
fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2007, 09:59 PM

On my PC running Windows XP I use foobar2000 for organizing and mp3 playback. With how my mp3s are laid out, I have different "playlists". Each playlist points to a specific folder (ie: new stuff, old stuff, ipod stuff - only have a shuffle so I just keep a seperate copy).

How can I do this in iTunes? Like say I wanted to create a Playlist, but ONLY have stuff from a specific directory (and stuff with in that directory) in that Playlist?

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2007, 04:50 PM

Um, drag all the music into iTunes and create Playlists? Only put what you want in the playlist?

Not sure why you seperate between new and old stuff, or what you're trying to do by organizing your music that way, but iTunes will let you do a lot ot organize your music from a central repository and it will sync the Shuffle with any specific playlist you choose.

Uisce

fibroptikl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2007, 07:20 PM

Say I have two folders. I create two playlists.

Playlist 1 has a Dmusic directory.
Playlist 2 has a Dnew directory.

I can add both directories to the main Library - but I can't seperate what belongs in Dmusic and Dnews to drag it into the corresponding Playlist.

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2007, 08:46 PM

Yes you can, drag all your old music in first, and then create a playlist if you want called old, and drag all the music into that playlist.

Then, drag all the new songs into iTunes, and create a new playlist called new, and then drag just those songs into that playlist.

You can also use the comments field or genre to create tags called old and new, or just new, since by default it can be old, to keep them seperate. As you add new stuff, just add the tag new, and when you don't think its new anymore, just remove the tag.

If you truly don't want all your music in one library, holding the option key when iTunes starts up will allow you to select different libraries to load. If you're on Windows, I'm not sure what key you need to press during startup, but I'd imagine there's one you can use so you have different libraries.

Uisce

fibroptikl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2007, 08:33 AM

Yeah, that works. It adds doubles though (cause I have .m3u files).

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2007, 02:16 PM

Well, if you have duplicates, you can use iTunes "show duplicates" feature, but note it only matches up names so it will show different song files with the same name (like the same song, but two versions), so be careful what you toss out.

Uisce

Forum Links
Forum Rules