Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > NEW dual ghz + Airport = Sound that pops

NEW dual ghz + Airport = Sound that pops
[email protected]
Mar 29, 2002, 11:12 PM

I have a brand spanking new dual 1 ghz, 1 gig ram, the rest stock that has internet access through a wireless network. I've found that under heavy internet usage (downloading, even surfing the web) the sound (any sound) will crackle, pop, or skip. Damn annoying. I have the MM-1000 Monsoon speakers connected to the analog headphone port. Anyone else experiencing this or better yet found a cure? I have to have airport, would like to keep both processors on, and haven't found any USB Speakers adequate to replace mine thus far. Any ideas?

Yaser

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2002, 12:24 AM

That's quite strange, and I've only heard people complaining of the issues you mentioned, with USB speakers. Have you double checked all of the speakers (and satelites) are plugged in correctly, and (might sound dumb) tried reseating the connection, and swiveling it around a bit until it 'clicks'? It may sound stupid, but 80% of all mistakes are...err...stupid.
Am I still here?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2002, 12:40 AM

That only happens with my isub :/
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

[email protected]  (op)
Mar 30, 2002, 12:43 AM

Yeh, I've checked all the connections. No dice. The sound even pops when the speakers aren't connected, using the built in speaker of the powermac.

Y

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2002, 08:47 PM

Try disconnecting the internal speaker from the motherboard, it should be a 3 or 4 pin wire...that may help.
Am I still here?

ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2002, 09:03 PM

I feel your pain [email protected]. I just got my brand-new Dual Gig today, and I noticed the same problem. I was just checking out the forums to see of anyone else was/is experiencing the same problem. I know it didn't effect my G4/500 Sawtooth that I upgraded from.

Are there any other Dual owners out there with similar problems? Anyone have and ideas/suggestions?
--
The Colonel

[email protected]  (op)
Mar 30, 2002, 10:27 PM

I'm not currently near my computer, so I can't poke around quite yet. I'm not sure what disconnecting the internal speaker would do though. I figured I'd just call up Apple and see what they have to say; probably reinstall the software. Anyway, this is the only noticeable flaw in an otherwise wonderful new computer.

Yaser

fulmer
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2002, 12:20 AM

my tibook 667 does it as well only when connected over airport and under heavy usage. ethernet connection gives me no popping. I wouldn't worry about it beyond the annoyance factor.

Petter
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 12:24 AM

I think I have read about this on Apples Forum!
It have something to do with the airport card... dunno if there is a solution.

I should have called apple support and complained about it first thing!
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

rsh
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 04:41 PM

I've a dual-gig with Airport, and I have the same sound issues. If Airport is turned off it doesn't happen. But if it is on, I get a static noise intermittently during iTunes playback.

I've been following the Apple forum discussion on this, and haven't seen any fix for it. Hope Apple comes through.

As someone else said, a nagging flaw in an otherwise fantastic machine. I upgraded from a G4 400 and the difference is oh so sweet.

[email protected]  (op)
Mar 31, 2002, 05:37 PM

I read in one of the Apple forums that using the Griffin iMic USB adapter actually might fix this issue. I'm not sure why it would work, or even if it does, but if anyone out there who has a Dual machine running OS X with an airport card and the iMic can comment on this potential solution, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it. Still, I'd much rather prefer a solution from Apple, be it a firmware or software fix soon! Perhaps we should all just call up and complain, maybe get some things done if this issue is out in the open?

Yaser

ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2002, 08:06 PM

I just re-installed 10.1.3 over top of my existing installation to see if by chance it would fix the problem, but no luck.

Another problem that I have noticed that may or may not be related to the AirPort/popping issue is that whenever my machine wakes up from sleep, there is no sound output through the internal speaker or headphone jack. If I unplug my external speakers, tool around in the sound System Preference, logout, then log back in, it will sometimes start working.

I'll be putting in a call into Apple tomorrow to see what they have to say.
--
The Colonel

[email protected]  (op)
Apr 1, 2002, 05:07 AM

I personally don't have the no sound after sleep problem, and I think I've resolved myself to buying the Griffin iMic adapter; I just can't take the damn skipping anymore.

Yaser

WhackamoleX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2002, 11:47 AM

Yep,
I have the same problem with the iSub on my dual gig (1Gb Ram, +60 Gb HD, 10.1.3, pro speakers, everything else stock). The thing is,
it only happens in OSX. In OS9 I have no problems whatsoever. I know I want to have this problem solved before RTCW comes out.

Oh yeah, it only seeems to happen in games (i.e. Myth and Tropico). iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, and DVD Player all seem fine.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Apr 1, 2002, 01:52 PM

Yeah, I just noticed that on my dp1000 last week, but I didn't know it was my new airport card that was causing it. The popping occurs with Altec Lansing speakers and also with just the internal speaker. The thing is, the airport card was probably on, but not connected to any network. I don't play music that often, so I don't know much more about the specifics of my problem.

no problems with sound after sleep, and I never boot in 9 so I don't know about that either.
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2002, 02:37 PM

I've reset the PRAM and still have the no sound after sleep problem. Looks like there is an honest hardware/software bug.

I have a iMic that I'm going to borrow from work and try tonight, although I won't accept this as a permenant solution. We should all call Apple and let them know of this problem so we can get in addressed ASAP in a future update.

I'll let everyone know how the iMic works as a temp solution.
--
The Colonel

[email protected]  (op)
Apr 1, 2002, 07:24 PM

Well, based on a quick and dirty testing of Limewire and browsing the web, it would appear that the Griffin iMic Does indeed solve my problems. I'm not 100% sure they solve ALL of them, but so far so good; I can do my internet related activities without having to cringe every time I hear a sound. So for those of you too impatient for Apple to fix this problem, run out and get it.

Yaser

ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2002, 07:47 PM

iMic works well here as well. [email protected], are you planning on calling Apple? Have to wait and see if the iMic corrects my no sound after sleep problems.

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: ColonelSawtooth ]
--
The Colonel

[email protected]  (op)
Apr 1, 2002, 07:49 PM

yes, I still want to make sure that Apple knows this is a real problem; having to resort to a 50 dollar adapter is not a viable option for everyone, and not one I would have liked to turn to. As Homer once said,
"I demand satisfaction."

Yaser

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2002, 09:33 AM

For me it's just that my whole USB system dies after about 30 seconds with airport turned on.

If I hit the reboot button one of three things happens

1. The machine stays at black screen
2. The ethernet doesn't get power
3. The USB still doens't have power

Weird computer. Apple still refuses to fix it
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2002, 09:52 AM

was just searching through the forums for a problem of mine, and came across this....i don't know if anyone has fixed this yet, but i happen to have the wake from sleep/no sound problem. but my audio (when it's working) doesn't pop or anything, but it's kind of annoying because i have to reboot to get the sound back. anybody have a fix? or know the cause? No airport, everything stock.

OpenStep
Senior User
Jun 2, 2002, 11:42 PM

Same here on my dual 1ghz g4 the sound breaks up when I play iTunes and surf the web or any network related activity. It's on Airport with an original base station. I'm going to put it on ethernet tomorow and see if it makes any difference...

JohnCoffee
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2002, 01:16 PM

same here: dual533 and airport.

sound dies when heavy airport upload to internet.

I guess this has to do with dual CPU systems.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 02:22 PM

I get static and dropped sound regularly on my TiBook 667, as have other TiBook owners have reported, though this problem seems to be more common on dual towers. My DP800 also suffers from this annoyance. Any word from Apple on a fix? Probably not methinks...

[email protected]  (op)
Aug 20, 2002, 02:31 PM

I'm hoping that 10.2 has solved this problem...early reports say it did, but I'm still waiting on confirmation. Anyone here running 10.2 that can confirm this?

JohnCoffee
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2002, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
I'm hoping that 10.2 has solved this problem...early reports say it did, but I'm still waiting on confirmation. Anyone here running 10.2 that can confirm this?
still there are issues, read here:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=usb+airport

jeez. I'm really pissed off !

Skaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 09:06 AM

On my new DP 867 with Airport, if I wake from sleep I loose my airport signal and the only solution to get it back is to restart the Mac, Very annoying. I even tried the airport card out of my Titanium and the same thing happens.
Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps I should bring the DP 867 back to the Apple store and get a repplacement.
iMac Core Dou 17" 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM + 20" Dell Widescreen Display
15" PowerBook 1.3GHz

vasu
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 09:40 AM

I *had* the poping/crackling sound on my TiBook 550 until I updated to 10.2, then it went away.

How much ram do you have in there? Have you tried zapping the pram? I read somewhere that these new computers like their pram zapped whenever any minor change is done. It can't hurt, zap it 4 times (total of 5 gongs after the initial one).

I use an m-audio Sonica run through a receiver now and I'llbe using that on my new Dual867 when that comes in shortly. So I probably wont have this happen either.

Also, most importantly, are you in OS9 or OSX? I heard these machines have issues with audio and OS9. Does the audio popping occur with iTunes or Quicktime? If you were using a 3rd party audio program that wasn't updated for 10.2 yet, that might cause it as well.

-vasu

[email protected]  (op)
Aug 25, 2002, 04:45 AM

10.2 solves my problem, without any doubt. Unfortunate I have to pay 70 bucks to have an annoying problem solved, but, better than nothing. Long live 10.2!

Footy
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
10.2 solves my problem, without any doubt. Unfortunate I have to pay 70 bucks to have an annoying problem solved, but, better than nothing. Long live 10.2!
Yeah, it fixed it for me too. Thank you 10.2!

Forum Links
Forum Rules