Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why does iTunes always rename my library to "Damaged"?

Why does iTunes always rename my library to "Damaged"?
Flagheimer
Sep 25, 2007, 10:31 PM

This is the third time it's happened. The first time, I thought it was the current release of iTunes that was messing me up, so I had to go back to a back-up I had to return to 7.2. But yesterday and today, it has done it twice.

I have 12GB worth of songs/TV Shows/Podcasts in my library and everytime iTunes renames my library to "damaged" only 1.99GB worth of my library shows when this happens. I have to File>Add to Library and select my iTunes Music folder to get everything back. I don't know what's going on!

What could be the cause of this? Do I have a virus? Anyone suggest a scanner just to be safe?

Edit: This is what happens when everything goes wrong: I select iTunes from the dock and it loads, but the iTunes window doesn't pop up, I see little watch icon, and the something about .xml comes up. I have to click cancel or ok and then another window pops up saying renaming to "damaged".
( Last edited by Flagheimer; Sep 25, 2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Additional Info)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2007, 04:46 AM

I hate to seem nitpicky, but the actual text in that dialog box is kinda important.

Might I also suggest making a backup of all your important data NOW, if you haven't already?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 04:53 AM

If you want to check for viruses, there is ClamXav. However, if you do have a virus, no scanner will be able to pick it up, because there are no known OS X viruses for it to detect. (This is a roundabout way of saying: You do not have a virus.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Flagheimer  (op)
Sep 26, 2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I hate to seem nitpicky, but the actual text in that dialog box is kinda important.

Might I also suggest making a backup of all your important data NOW, if you haven't already?
Sorry. Unfortunately I didn't realize to copy it down. If it happens again, I'll make sure to do so. I do backup a lot now since the original HD died a few months back. Hopefully this new HD isn't dying too!

Flagheimer  (op)
Sep 26, 2007, 09:06 PM

Alright, so right now I'm opening iTunes and a window pops up saying: Importing "iTunes Library.xml"...

And there's an option to click "Stop".

After several minutes, it now says "Organizing Files".

After it organizes the files, a window pops up with this message: The file "iTunes Library" does not appear to be a valid iTunes library file. iTunes has attempted to recover your iTunes library and renamed this file to "iTunes Library (Damaged) 2".

The only option is to click "OK". After I do, it only loads up a small amount of my library. Luckily my library isn't deleted, I just have to import it again.

I have no idea why it does this though!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules