Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > G4 Mac Mini and LCD Inside G3 iMac Case?

G4 Mac Mini and LCD Inside G3 iMac Case?
Koralatov
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 02:39 PM

Okay, I know I'm totally obsessed, but it occurs to me that doing this wouldn't be totally unfeasible.

As far as I can see (and I'm no expert), there shouldn't be any reason I couldn't get my hands on a G4 Mac mini quite cheap, and put it along with a 15" LCD screen inside the casing of an iMac G3. As I said, though, I'm no expert, so I could be way off the beam here.

Anyone have any suggestions or observations on the possibility of doing such a thing? As far as I can see, the hardest parts would be powering them both inside the case from one cable (it may not even be possible), connecting up the mini's USB and FireWire ports to those on the outside of the iMac, and aligning the optical drive correctly so it can be accessed through the slot on the front.

Anyone who has any suggestions or observations, I'd love to hear them.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2007, 07:53 PM

Doesn't sound that hard. It'd definitely all fit in there.
Extender cables for the peripheral ports etc could be used to connect to the Minis board and glued/screwed to the iMacs case. You could wrap the LCD power and Mini power together to make it look like one.

Couldn't you just mount the Minis drive in the space for the iMacs one?

4JNA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 11:26 AM

i think THIS might be a good place to start looking.

watch out for the high voltage. it can really ruin your day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules