Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > comcast vs dish vs direct

comcast vs dish vs direct
macfantn
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2007, 05:07 PM

i have comcast now, and it is getting just too damn expensive. Is dish network or direct any cheaper? I would like HD + DVR and SD on one other tv. They have so many packages to choose from on their site, it is overwhelming. I don't need any premium channels. Just the basics, comedy central mtv etc. and the locals in HD.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2007, 05:35 PM

Well you can probably get the locals in HD without paying for anything more than an antenna (assuming your TV has an HD tuner, otherwise you need one of those too). Over the air HD is available nearly everywhere and will give you access to the local channels in HD for free.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2007, 05:43 PM

i have an older hdtv, that is hd ready although i'm gonna upgrade soon. If I have a tv with an hd tuner inside, what will I need to get HD? I'm assuming some type of antenna? does this go inside or outside the house?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2007, 05:47 PM

Satellite is known to gimp their image quality. FIOS is the way to go if it's available in your area.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2007, 05:49 PM

It really depends on the area. Here in Boston all I need is a small indoor antenna to get everything. Nashville is big enough that I assume the same would probably be true for you, but I'm not sure.

If you enter your address in here Address it'll tell you what channels are available to you and what kind of antenna you need to get them.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2007, 06:10 PM

to get cbs i need the violet antenna, that sucks. so if i use a small indoor antenna i'll get nothing?

Cold Warrior
Oct 14, 2007, 06:13 PM

I'm about 30 minutes from the center of a major city, and I get all the majors -- NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, and FOX -- via an indoor UHF/VHF antenna.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2007, 06:19 PM

how big is your antenna? do you have a link to it? are they expensive? do you get perfect reception? or does it come and go.

Cold Warrior
Oct 14, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
how big is your antenna? do you have a link to it? are they expensive? do you get perfect reception? or does it come and go.
I bought this one at Wal-Mart.
SDV2210/17 - TV antenna - TV accessories - Accessories - Philips
Reception doesn't drop in or out, but one channel doesn't come in 100% clear. More like 90%. The others are fine though.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2007, 06:43 PM

I used to get all kinds of telemarketing calls from DISH network, even though I was on the Do Not Call list. Even worse, it wouldn't even be a human on the line - it'd be a recorded message that would, after a really long wait while it gave its stupid advertising spiel, give me the option of dialing 1 to speak to a representative or dialing 2 to be removed from the calling list. Well, I tried pushing "2" a few times, but they kept on calling, so I started dialing 1 and trying to ask the sales person to remove me from the calling list in the most polite way I could. They'd always hang up on me before I even finished the sentence.

Grr. I wouldn't touch DISH network with a 20-foot pole.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Cold Warrior
Oct 14, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I used to get all kinds of telemarketing calls from DISH network, even though I was on the Do Not Call list. Even worse, it wouldn't even be a human on the line - it'd be a recorded message that would, after a really long wait while it gave its stupid advertising spiel, give me the option of dialing 1 to speak to a representative or dialing 2 to be removed from the calling list. Well, I tried pushing "2" a few times, but they kept on calling, so I started dialing 1 and trying to ask the sales person to remove me from the calling list in the most polite way I could. They'd always hang up on me before I even finished the sentence.

Grr. I wouldn't touch DISH network with a 20-foot pole.
DirecTV used some legalize to get around do-not-call: they classified their calls as "informational" and told anyone who complained that they were therefore legitimate. It took a while, and some more government attention, but they stopped that practice. DISH was probably doing the same thing.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2007, 07:22 PM

They were using spammer tactics. It was hard even to find out what company it was coming from - they advertised their service as just "Satellite TV" to make it harder for you to figure out whom to report. It's just shady business all around. If DirecTV did this too, then they suck as well.

The irony of the whole situation being, of course, that I live in an apartment and am pretty sure the management wouldn't allow me to install a satellite dish even if I wanted one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Flagheimer
Oct 14, 2007, 07:32 PM

I have Comcast too, I just wish they had a lot more HD channels. It is expensive though... Right now I'm paying $181 for the plan with HBO and Stars and the HD Package, 2 DVRs, digital phone and high speed internet.

I enjoy their Customer service though. I was chatting with an Online rep a few months back about one channel's picture quality not being clear and it had nothing to do with the box or any of my stuff, but the actual feed itself was the problem. A few days later it was fixed.

I want more HD channels though!!! My girlfriend has DirecTV and she has the Food Network in HD... I didn't know they had the Food Network in HD... also USA HD!

We don't even have Discovery Channel HD!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
i have comcast now, and it is getting just too damn expensive. Is dish network or direct any cheaper?
Investigate other packages from Dish and DirectTv and such, then call Comcast and tell them you want a lower price or you'll switch. They'll likely give you some kind of discount. But be ready to dump them immediately if they don't bite.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2007, 07:57 PM

DirecTV and Dish both have similar HD offerings currently. Each has a few channels the other doesn't, but DirecTV has more capacity to continue offering more by the end of the year. FiOS does have loads of bandwidth available for HD, but they need to purchase additional Head-end equipment before they will be expanding their offerings beyond what they are now. Expect 6 months to a year before they expand substantially. Most Cable providers will be far behind for the next year to 5 years depending on when your local cableco can roll out switched digital delivery.

Dish offers a free HD-DVR with installation. The VIP722 is a very well reviewed DVR, and has some nice features like expandable storage via usb, and dual tuner output.

DirecTV will require a $199 up front lease fee to use their HR-20 HD-DVR. The HR-20 also will be offering Video on Demand capability via broadband internet access in the next couple of months. Monthly packages with HD equipment will end up costing nearly the same with either company.

One disadvantage the satcos have is that there are still lots of markets that they don't offer High Definition local channels to. I personally use an antenna to get my HD locals over the air. DirecTV is offering ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX in HD in Nashville. I'm not sure about Dish.

Both satcos will lock you into an 18 - 24 month commitment.

For DirecTV with one HD-DVR base package+HD+locals+extra TV would be 49.99(base)+9.99(HD)+5.99(DVR)+4.99(secondtv)=
( Last edited by Teronzhul; Oct 14, 2007 at 08:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules