Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Grainy video on 13" MacBook

Grainy video on 13" MacBook
fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2007, 09:53 PM

I have a 13" MacBook that I got on Friday - it's the $1299 one w/ Core 2 Duo 2.2.

I have noticed that when I play video files - including DVD's - the video shows up s being very grainy. It's almost as if the colors just are not blending correctly.

I played back the video on my Dell 1905FP (attached via the mini-DVI to DVI Adapter) nd the quality of the video was very good - watchable. But not so much on the MacBook's screen.

Is this normal?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2007, 10:28 PM

Sounds like a bad LCD panel... take it to a Genius and see if they think it's acceptable or defective.

fibroptikl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2007, 11:10 PM

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2007, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by fibroptikl View Post
I don't think this is related to the problem described previously. If so, it would be noticeable everytime and not only with video playback. There is probably some defective component affecting video decoding. You should definately have it checked by Apple.

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by fibroptikl View Post
I have a 13" MacBook that I got on Friday - it's the $1299 one w/ Core 2 Duo 2.2.

I have noticed that when I play video files - including DVD's - the video shows up s being very grainy. It's almost as if the colors just are not blending correctly.

I played back the video on my Dell 1905FP (attached via the mini-DVI to DVI Adapter) nd the quality of the video was very good - watchable. But not so much on the MacBook's screen.

Is this normal?
The Dell 1905FP is an 8 bits-per-component panel, 16777216 colors. ALL laptops have 6 bits-per-component, 262144 color panels. The screen quality is going to be worse on the MacBook screen, no question. This is because the MacBook has to dither the colors it can use in order to produce the colors it can't. All those stray pixels produce the "grain" you see.

The article you mention is exactly the "problem" you're seeing. If all you've ever used are CRT monitors and high-color desktop displays, it is more likely you'll notice the inferior screen on a laptop.

*Edit*
Quick addendum. The problem is worse when watching videos because videos tend to use colors on the darker end of the color scale, and that's what these screens have the most trouble producing. You might try calibrating the screen to see if you can make the color scales more even. Try using SuperCal for calibration.
( Last edited by BearOso; Nov 27, 2007 at 06:42 PM. )

ankurcd
Nov 28, 2007, 07:07 AM

Geez... friends... I am planning to buy a Macbook in a week's time...I was planning to use the Macbook for personal use.... which includes video watching!

What do you all suggest? If we need to watch a lot of videos... say no to the Mac ?

I really wanted a Mac this time...
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by ankurcd View Post
Geez... friends... I am planning to buy a Macbook in a week's time...I was planning to use the Macbook for personal use.... which includes video watching!

What do you all suggest? If we need to watch a lot of videos... say no to the Mac ?

I really wanted a Mac this time...
Don't give up on a Mac.

This "problem" is present on all laptops of all brands. You just need to understand that getting a laptop means having a lower-color screen. If you've got a laptop already, or a low-end desktop lcd, you won't notice a difference.

ankurcd
Nov 28, 2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BearOso View Post
Don't give up on a Mac.

This "problem" is present on all laptops of all brands. You just need to understand that getting a laptop means having a lower-color screen. If you've got a laptop already, or a low-end desktop lcd, you won't notice a difference.

Thanks BearOso... yes I am using a Thinkpad and a HP Pavillion... the Pavillion's brightview is better than Thinkpad's display but both are ok for viewing DVDs. Are Apple Macbook screens at par with these laptops? If so - I do not really mind...

Do let me know... thanks!!!
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ankurcd View Post
Thanks BearOso... yes I am using a Thinkpad and a HP Pavillion... the Pavillion's brightview is better than Thinkpad's display but both are ok for viewing DVDs. Are Apple Macbook screens at par with these laptops? If so - I do not really mind...
Pretty much all laptop screens are the same as far as color support. The MacBook's is glossy just like that "brightview" HP.

lowbuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 02:02 PM

I kinda beg to differ -

Either I'm blind, or the screen on my iBook G4/1.2 is excellent - not a CRT by any means, but no significant graininess.

I have another post here generally querying whether the new MacBooks are just inferior?

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by lowbuzz View Post
the screen on my iBook G4/1.2 is excellent - not a CRT by any means, but no significant graininess.
You hit the nail on the head. The displays can't reproduce color like a CRT, but people expect them to.

I suppose the reason the MacBook in particular has been targeted is because it's the computer most favorable to the demographic just now buying into Apple's hype. They're coming from late-90s PCs and CRT monitors and purchasing the cheapest Mac to try it out, expecting a miracle machine.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2007, 12:04 AM

check your colorsync profile settings - the stock calibration isn't always right. mine plays h.264 fine, although not as much tonal quality as my nice samsung 172T that's hooked up to it

Forum Links
Forum Rules