Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Open Firnware or BIOS?

Open Firnware or BIOS?
Hanul
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 04:10 AM

Will the new Intel-based Macs still have Open Firmware or will it change to BIOS? I think the Linux and Windows Boot Loaders require a BIOS, because they make BIOS calls to look for a bootable device. Phil Schiller confirmed, that Windows will run on the new Macs, but in order to Dual-Boot you either need a BIOS to install Windows (I don't think the install routine of Windows will run with Open Firmware) or Open Firmware can somehow emulate BIOS calls.

Hanul  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 05:12 AM

To answer my own question: From Apple's "Universal Binary Programming Guidelines"

"Macintosh computers using Intel microprocessors do not use Open Firmware. Although many parts
of the IO registry are present and work as expected, information that is provided by Open Firmware
on a Macintosh using a PowerPC microprocessor (such as a complete device tree) is not available in
the IO registry on a Macintosh using an Intel microprocessor. You can obtain some of the information
from IODeviceTree by using the sysctlbyname or sysctl commands."

retroneo
Jun 7, 2005, 05:47 AM

i'll try restarting on one of the new macs tomorrow holding down the option key :-)

OreoCookie
Jun 7, 2005, 07:58 AM

Forgot where I read it, but Apple publicly stated that they will neither use a regular BIOS nor Open Firmware. Otherwise, you could run OS X (more easily) on any other PC.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tigas
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 11:10 AM

Intel has been developing a next-generation BIOS (with mouse, VGA graphics and a network stack), and AMD has back-ported that BIOS specification to AMD chips and third party chipsets. Is is a part of the Trusted Computing DRM platform Intel and M$ have been developing for years, and it's not impossible for Apple to have a customized version of this.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2005, 11:26 AM

They will use "Not-quite-so-Open BIOS-ware".

I thought the old-fashioned BIOS was disappearing in favor of something more modern anyway. I'm sure the full-blown Intel Apple Macs will use something more modern.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

bighead
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 01:12 PM

It's a shame that Open Firmware is going to go by the wayside.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 7, 2005, 02:48 PM

Not a Power Mac discussion.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules