Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird System Prefs Happening - Possibly 10.4.7 related?

Weird System Prefs Happening - Possibly 10.4.7 related?
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 11:47 AM

I went to change my mouse prefs today and noticed this:

[removed oversize image of system preferences with a mangled icon. --tooki]

It wasn't like that the last time I was in the prefs, but that was at least a few days ago. Anyone know what's going on? (This is on a MacBook 2.0 with 2 gigs of ram)
( Last edited by tooki; Jun 29, 2006 at 05:25 PM. )

All glory to the hypnotoad.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 12:35 PM

Botched install? Mine's fine.
Genius. You know who.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by nforcer
Botched install? Mine's fine.
Great, how helpful of you.

Does anyone know if I can just replace the image that System Preferences uses?

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82
Great, how helpful of you.

Does anyone know if I can just replace the image that System Preferences uses?
It seems after every point upgrade there are a bunch of kids in these forums like:

"OMG, I was defragmenting my new HD while installing the new snappy™ Mac OS X 10.5 I downloaded off of Limewire and when I force restarted my icons were all funny. HELP!"

You suggested it could be 10.4.7 related. I confirmed that is not the case for me unless your install somehow botched.

I would try replacing the icon. I uploaded my icon file here. Go into /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane/Contents/Resources and replace Keyboard.icns with mine, relaunch System Prefs, and see if that makes a difference. If not, does a restart make a difference? Does removing all non-apple prefpanes that are in different locations help? I don't know what could be causing this and it's never happened to me before so I'd try everything reasonable until something works.
Genius. You know who.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2006, 05:15 PM

Exact same thing happened to my vanilla (meaning nothing installed but OS X) MacBook Pro, except for me it's the Software Update Icon that's messed up. I installed 10.4.7 yesterday, so I think it's the likely culprit.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 29, 2006, 05:30 PM

The 10.4.7 install is pure coincidence. This happens occasionally in all versions of Tiger.

The fix is simple: quit System Preferences and delete the ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache file.

tooki

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 05:32 PM

It seems after every point upgrade there are a bunch of kids in these forums like:

"OMG, I was defragmenting my new HD while installing the new snappy™ Mac OS X 10.5 I downloaded off of Limewire and when I force restarted my icons were all funny. HELP!"

You suggested it could be 10.4.7 related. I confirmed that is not the case for me unless your install somehow botched.
Obviously it would be a botched install, since not every user in the forums is chiming in with the same issue. I knew that when I posted it.

I would try replacing the icon. I uploaded my icon file here. Go into /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane/Contents/Resources and replace Keyboard.icns with mine, relaunch System Prefs, and see if that makes a difference. If not, does a restart make a difference? Does removing all non-apple prefpanes that are in different locations help? I don't know what could be causing this and it's never happened to me before so I'd try everything reasonable until something works.
I'll try replacing it with the icon you uploaded. A restart did not help, but I should check to see if it affects other users on this machine (I'll have to create one).

Thanks!

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 05:33 PM

That fixed it! Thanks so much!

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2006, 05:34 PM

Thanks, tooki, worked perfectly!

Forum Links