Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Exporting a LiveJournal

Exporting a LiveJournal
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 10:13 PM

I figured I'd post here, because most of the people around MacNN seem to be pretty nice and willing to help others out.

Basically, I'm trying to export my entire livejournal (three and a half years of posts, totaling around 2,000) to some format like XML, CSV, or other raw data. I then want to import it into Journler (one of the applications I've found for OS X that I absolutely love).

I've tried LJArchiver, which seems to be the big one for Windows. I've also tried a perl script and a python script, and I'm getting errors. The perl script didn't work and I haven't messed with it more yet, and the python script errored out, saying "IndexError: list index out of range".

If anyone here is a programmer or a scripter and would be interested in helping me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I figured I'd post here, because most of the people around MacNN seem to be pretty nice and willing to help others out.
You're new here, aren't you?

I just had to make that joke. I wish I could help. Good luck!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 2, 2007, 11:42 PM

You've probably already tried this ... but have you had a look at the export function LiveJournal offers?

Link to LiveJournal FAQ

I don't use LJ myself, so I'm pretty much fishing in the dark here - might be a fishie, might be a big fat lump of stinky algae.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 07:53 AM

LJ's export feature only lets you export each month of each year individually - which amounts to more than 36 individual exports. Not the fastest process on the budget DSL.

If I knew more about Perl or Python I could do some debugging, but I'm not much by way of scripting.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2007, 10:45 AM

I doubt this will be of much help, since it only creates a PDF, but you could take a look at LJ Book.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 08:49 PM

Aha I tried that too, and it failed on me.

I'm starting to think that maybe my journal is too big, but I know there are plenty of people with more entries than I who don't have problems.

Oh well. I suppose it's one month at a time for me.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2007, 11:41 PM

If you think a pdf would serve your needs, I'd give it another try ... the LJBook server's flaked out on me once or twice, but it ultimately works. I just successfully tested it with my own LJ, creating a 37 MB pdf that's over 2,500 pages long.

Forum Links
Forum Rules