Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Crystal-ball time: rev 2 of iPhone

Crystal-ball time: rev 2 of iPhone
sedlacek
Oct 27, 2007, 10:33 AM

my current cellphone is barely breathing and I'm hoping/anticipating that Apple will release rev.2 of the iphone for the holidays. What's the word on the street...reasonable time frame? (wouldn't want to buy one now only to find that two weeks from now the second generation iphone is released. )
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch
TiBk-667MHz/768MB/15-inch
Lomdard-333MHz/384MB/15-inch
PB-3400/20MHz/144MB/12.1-inch

Cold Warrior
Oct 27, 2007, 10:42 AM

word on the street (from a couple rumor sites) is that rev 2 won't come until early 2008.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2007, 01:01 PM

Broadcom has been talking up their low-power 3G chipsets for early next year... Samsung just announced their 64Gb flash chips (allowing a 16GB iPhone)... so 1H08, maybe even 1Q08 but I'd guess 2Q08.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 03:41 PM

I doubt there's any chance of an iPhone 2 before the holidays.

As for my crystal ball?

- Ringers you can actually hear (just like on every Nokia, Samsung or LG you can get for free)
- Alert tones you can actually hear (just like on every Nokia, Samsung or LG you can get for free)
- A speakerphone you can actually hear (just like on every Nokia, Samsung or LG you can get for free)

See a pattern there? What do you think is my number one iPhone annoyance?

As for something I'd LIKE to see, which will never happen with an Apple product? Apple's amazing software on a piece of hardware that will still look fine a year later. I'm sure others will vehemently disagree, but I'd like the choice of an iPhone exterior made out of the same bulletproof plastic as my old Nokia 6010. Brick hard, practically un-nickable stuff. Or maybe a slightly rubberized, but not lint-magnetty surface like on Motorola's Nextel offerings.

I hate dealing with and spending money on protective covers, but I'd hate a scratched up iPhone worse.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

motoyen
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2007, 04:25 AM

Do you think the next iPhone will have a different form factor? Like what happened to the iPod? Or will the next few revisions mainly be software?
( Last edited by motoyen; Nov 3, 2007 at 11:29 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 11:04 AM

It won't be redesigned. Apple never redesigns a best selling product less than a year after it comes out. It will mainly be new software and a few hardware updates (3G, bigger sizes) most likely.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 01:05 PM

iPhone 2G will have some new internals, but will look very similar to the current one. The first iPhone was shown in MWSF 07, if the next one comes in Jan 08 for MWSF again then it should be a major update, replacing year old specs.

The Broadcom 3G chip is looking good for it, as is a 16Gb capacity.

If it went 3G (which it needs to in Europe) then there might be a front facing camera for video calling (and possibly video iChat over wifi).

A better camera system, N95 is the standard here. So a 5MP still camera that can take video - the N95 does 640x480 30FPS video, and at good quality. Flash. A lens cover. A physical shutter button on the edge would be good (but maybe I'm dreaming now )

Steve loves things to be thinner, so I wouldn't be surprised if it got trimmed. Looks wise it might get slightly different materials for the front rim and the back.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2007, 02:10 PM

I hope nothing comes out...... until 2009

Because I just got mine not too long ago. MUAHAHHAHA...

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
As for something I'd LIKE to see, which will never happen with an Apple product? Apple's amazing software on a piece of hardware that will still look fine a year later. I'm sure others will vehemently disagree, but I'd like the choice of an iPhone exterior made out of the same bulletproof plastic as my old Nokia 6010. Brick hard, practically un-nickable stuff. Or maybe a slightly rubberized, but not lint-magnetty surface like on Motorola's Nextel offerings.

I hate dealing with and spending money on protective covers, but I'd hate a scratched up iPhone worse.
I won't disagree with you on personal tastes. But I just wanted to say that I've been using my iPhone since day one without any sort of protection, and it looks nearly brand new. The chrome edging is nicked up a bit, but that is almost unavoidable without a case, and I really don't notice it unless I'm looking for it. The thing is very durable and extremely scratch resistant. A few nights ago my iPhone was in its dock on my desk and I accidentally knocked it off, and the iPhone and dock plunged to the hardwood floor about 30" or so. By the sound, it seemed to hit pretty hard. Not a scratch on it, and it still works perfectly. Just sayin that maybe a case isn't needed. I realize some people lead a bit more rugged lives than I do, but I've found that the iPhone is a lot more durable than it looks.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
Just sayin that maybe a case isn't needed. I realize some people lead a bit more rugged lives than I do, but I've found that the iPhone is a lot more durable than it looks.
No doubt you are right. I've seen the video of the iPhone in the plastic bag full of coins and keys... I just know me. I'm so anal/OCD that if my phone were scratched or scuffed, I'd be giving it to my wife or mom and looking to buy another. Stupid? Yes. The way I am? Also, yes.

When iPhone 2 comes out, I'll break this one out of its case and start using it naked. That way, I'll be almost daring myself to let something happen, so that I can upgrade.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

paduck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 02:52 PM

There isn't going to be a replacement iPhone for Christmas for the simple reason that we haven't seen it announced yet. Cell phones are different than iPods and computers. They don't get announced and show up the next day. They get announced months ahead of time, because they have to get regulatory approval - the FCC. That is why we saw the iPhone announced early, but actually available in the summer. Same thing for v2 of the iPhone.

Bottomline, you are going to get to drool over it for a few months before it actually shows up. I can't wait!

donutogre
Nov 5, 2007, 11:28 AM

16 GB in January. Please please please please! That's all I need to pull the trigger. Earlier than January would be fine too, but I expect the revision will come at MWSF.

If they want to just add a 16GB iPhone at the $500 price point before that, though, I'll be picking one up on Dec 26th when my Verizon contract expires.
~nate

83caddy16v
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2007, 10:58 PM

I am also holding off for the next an updated iPhone. 3G and 16gb, a plus. i've got only 3mo left on my Verizon contract and getting the itch to switch. I am also interested in seeing how the new LG Voyager works in person, No, not an iPhone but something for those with Verizon contracts.

tomjennings83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 11:32 PM

im never on the street so i havent heard anything

Forum Links
Forum Rules