Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Watch: Who's getting one?

Apple Watch: Who's getting one? (Page 2)
OreoCookie
Jan 30, 2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's no longer the '70s; an A8, a 7-series, or an S-class is as big or bigger than any American sedan currently produced, especially the LWB versions.
Americans still have a different perception of car sizes than Europeans. In Europe, a VW Golf (and its competitors such as the Astra) is considered a »normal-sized car«, perhaps even a roomy car (because it really is). A Polo feels like a smaller, normal-sized car. A Passat (the same size as an Audi A4, BMW 3-series and Mercerdes C class) already feels big for most. I recently sat in a 5-series, that thing is ginormous for me (and my dad owned several E-class Mercedes for over 25 years).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2015, 12:01 PM

VWs hold their value very well. They cost more than many equivalent cars and people are happy to pay it. They even ran an ad campaign pointing this out.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Jan 30, 2015, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
VWs hold their value very well. They cost more than many equivalent cars and people are happy to pay it. They even ran an ad campaign pointing this out.
VW's also tend to have the largest interior for cars of their class. You can see this most easily when you compare the VW Golf to the Audi A3: they are built on top of the same platform, so all the differences are due to design choices. Ditto for the Passat vs. the A4, especially when it comes to the station wagon (which are immensely popular in Europe), the difference is astounding. All these sporty curves cost interior space and luggage space. For instance, it's not a problem to travel in a Golf with 4 adults. If you try to sit in a BWM 1-series in the back, you'll notice it's very, very crammed.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2015, 06:56 AM

BMW 1 series is also rear wheel drive, so there's more mechanicals to fit in around the back axle of the car compared to a FWD car. That takes up space that would have been for people.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2015, 01:36 PM

My understanding has always been that VWs aren't terribly reliable, at least compared to their Japanese competitors. Add as many grains of salt as required.

As for the iWatch, I was all for it but if it requires pairing with an iDevice and also needs charging every night, I'm out. Two cables, maybe two adapters....ugh.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2015, 03:48 PM

Well as for an Apple Watch, I wind be because I'm an androidist now. When the version twos of the Android Wear stuff comes around, maybe one of those.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2015, 04:21 PM

I consider the LG G Watch R (crappy name) and the Asus Zenwatch to be "v1.5" devices and they're both much better than their forebears. Either one of those would be a good first step into wearables, and with Android Wear evolving and improving almost every day, so are their functions and practicality.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 31, 2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
VW's also tend to have the largest interior for cars of their class.
10 seconds of Googling shows that's not true.

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2015, 03:12 PM

10 seconds of Googling shows that's not true.
What European car has a larger interior and more luggage space? It's just a matter of shape, other manufacturers optimize for design while VW optimizes for space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 2, 2015, 06:26 PM

What European car has a larger interior and more luggage space?
I'm not familiar with the non-premium European brands (Skoda, Renault, Citroën, Peugeot, etc.) to make any worthwhile comments, but in the US, VW certainly competes (by features and price) with Ford, GM, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, etc. The first two cars I checked, the Camry and the Sonata, both have more interior volume than the Passat. The Sonata has more cargo capacity. The VW doesn't have the most front head room, shoulder room, or leg room of the group. I could keep looking up actual numbers, but I doubt that would do anything to debunk the vague perception you have of VW's unstated design ethos.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2015, 06:33 PM

When comparing VW with Audi, PSA (Citroën/Peugeot), Seat, Fiat, Alfa, Renault, BMW and Mercedes, the VW is optimized for space.

There are Dacia (budget branch of Renault) and Skoda (basically VW in slightly cheaper interiors). But the Dacia doesn't compete in the same class.

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There are Dacia (budget branch of Renault) and Skoda (basically VW in slightly cheaper interiors). But the Dacia doesn't compete in the same class.
While I don't think Dacia is relevant here, I certainly forgot about Skoda. The Octavia is built on the Golf's platform, but is larger.
The first two cars I checked, the Camry and the Sonata, both have more interior volume than the Passat. The Sonata has more cargo capacity.
These are not sold in Europe, so I don't know how they compare to the Passat. The Hyundai i40 (which is Hyundai's competitor to the Passat in Europe and based on the same platform as the Sonata, although it is a separate car) has a significantly smaller trunk space (525 l vs. 588 l for the sedan, 540 l vs. 603 l for the station wagon), but then we are comparing different models.

In any case, I don't doubt there may be some cars with a larger interior, but at least if you compare the German imports, VWs are the largest on the inside, and that's quite deliberate. »If you want something more sporty, get an Audi.« is VW's attitude here.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2015, 09:38 PM

but at least if you compare the German imports.
Which German cars compete on the same level as VW? Surely not Mercedes, BMW, or Audi, right?

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2015, 10:04 PM

So, what's the topic of this thread?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2015, 11:30 PM

How much you love Apple.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2015, 04:35 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2015, 06:18 PM

Does it take voice commands? If so, I'm in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2015, 06:32 PM

Only if it sounds like Mr. Feeny when it responds.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2015, 02:55 AM

My Zenwatch, personal Android Wear fav, no longer bugs out and is up to 2.5 days of battery life, with a firmware patch coming out this month that is claimed to boost that to 3, which I would consider to be acceptable (finally). The Apple Watch had better be freaking brilliant at launch and able to match (if not surpass) that, given the price disparity, $350 vs $200, but I don't see that happening.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2015, 12:58 PM

Tim Cook: Our Objective With Apple Watch Is to Change the Way People Live Their Lives - Mac Rumors

Pretty relevant link to the thread.

There was an interesting comment talking about the price.

"People (myself among them) gladly paid $399 for an MP3 player in 2001. Why wouldn't they spend less than that for something that does a lot more today?"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2015, 01:36 PM

Not that many people bought an iPod in 2001 for $399. Most people did a spit take when they announced that price. Myself included.

The iPod didn't really take off until around 2003/2004ish when it was $299 and worked on Windows.

Tim Cook was already a millionaire in 2001 anyway, (and worked for Apple) so his statement doesn't mean much to normal people.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2015, 01:47 PM

That kind of pronouncement is the status quo in the tech industry. It means nothing. They always talk about how revolutionary something is going to be. It usually isn't.

The notable exceptions to that rule are the iPod, iPhone, and (debatably) the iPad. I just don't know if Apple has the right black magic with the Apple Watch.

Maybe it's the i. This stupid thing should be called the iWatch. I still don't get it.

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Not that many people bought an iPod in 2001 for $399. Most people did a spit take when they announced that price. Myself included.
No doubt about it.

The iPod didn't really take off until around 2003/2004ish when it was $299 and worked on Windows.
This, this, this. Lesson learned: first iterations are always the worst.

Don't buy the Apple Watch. Buy the second or even third generation Apple Watch.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2015, 02:09 PM

Tim Cook was already a millionaire in 2001 anyway, (and worked for Apple) so his statement doesn't mean much to normal people.
The quote was from a user- not Tim. But who knows, the Mac Rumors user "tkermit" could very well be a millionaire.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2015, 03:03 PM

I did. I had a Creative Nomad Jukebox which was a piece of shit. It was bulky and slow. $400 for an MP3 player that used Firewire was a godsend.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2015, 05:42 PM

"People (myself among them) gladly paid $399 for an MP3 player in 2001."
Out of touch much? Though technically great, it was a sales dud for years.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2015, 05:58 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2015, 06:06 PM

Certainly higher than I would have guessed.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Don't buy the Apple Watch. Buy the second or even third generation Apple Watch.
Totally.

1st gen iPod Touch had no physical volume buttons, bluetooth, or headphone remote support. 2nd gen fixed that.
1st gen iPad was bulky and slow. 2nd gen's form factor lasted until just recently.

Let the early adopters and "gotta-have-its" be Apple's beta testers.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2015, 07:09 PM

And 1 million Pebble watches sold. If that doesn't tell you that Android is a crappy OS, I don't know what does.

Oh, and...

Android Wear Devices Off to Sluggish Start | Re/code

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Certainly higher than I would have guessed.
and that's not counting 200k Galaxy Gears running Tizen and >1M Pebbles. So that's at least 2M smartwatches that shipped, counting smaller off brands, like the Qualcomm Toq and Cookoo.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
And 1 million Pebble watches sold. If that doesn't tell you that Android is a crappy OS, I don't know what does.
Pebbles work with either OS, and I have no idea what your slanted opinion regarding Android has to do with it. The Pebble sells well because it's cheap and has a long battery life.

That's what the other article said, only they've decided to pitch the sales numbers as a negative instead. 750k is good for a new product category, especially considering fewer people even wear watches these days.

OreoCookie
Feb 11, 2015, 08:25 PM

To me, this number is missing context, e. g. how does it compare to the number of watches above €200 sold?

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2015, 09:38 PM

I still haven't seen a smartwatch in the wild.

OreoCookie
Feb 11, 2015, 10:44 PM

Me neither, but I reckon they're easier to miss. I don't obsessively look at people's wrists.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2015, 12:31 AM

I've seen a handful of Pebbles and a Galaxy Gear, which was hard to miss being bright orange.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2015, 01:44 AM

How long will it take Apple to ship 2 million watches? 1 weekend?

I have a hard time seeing smart watches ever develop into anything more than a niche product.

It will be fun to watch the tech media flip out and declare apple doomed when the Apple Watch doesn't turn into an iPhone level success story in the first few months.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2015, 10:04 AM

I have a hard time seeing smart watches ever develop into anything more than a niche product.
I would have said the same thing about fitness bands and such.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Out of touch much? Though technically great, it was a sales dud for years.
Two years.

Kind of.

They went Windows-also in fiscal Q3 of 2003, and sales took off.

And it was a pretty good seller for those first two years, given the fact that it was Mac-only, and measured by the number of Macs selling at the time.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2015, 06:22 PM

It's pretty nuts remembering what a big deal the iPod felt like at the time and comparing it to the iPhone today.

They sold 23 million iPods in their best quarter at probably around $250 a pop, and they just sold 74.5 million iPhone in a quarter at probably about $700 a pop.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2015, 06:35 PM

It's pretty nuts remembering what a big deal the iPod felt like at the time and comparing it to the iPhone today.

They sold 23 million iPods in their best quarter at probably around $250 a pop, and they just sold 74.5 million iPhone in a quarter at probably about $700 a pop.
The original iPod was like a brick compared to an iPhone today. And it was the greatest thing since sliced bread at the time. A true game changer.

OAW

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2015, 09:17 PM

I hate wearing any watch, haven't for decades. But if the Apple Watch can track certain vital signs that are of interest to me, I'll get the cheapest model and wear it just for monitoring purposes for as little time as possible.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
I hate wearing any watch, haven't for decades. But if the Apple Watch can track certain vital signs that are of interest to me, I'll get the cheapest model and wear it just for monitoring purposes for as little time as possible.
Are those vital signs only trackable by the Watch? As others have noted, there's lots of fitness devices out there that track an awful lot of data. You might be able to get something that does the same thing but at half the price....which could make more sense if that's all you want the Watch for.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2015, 11:37 PM

Me neither, but I reckon they're easier to miss. I don't obsessively look at people's wrists.
I've seen about ten Moto X users and perhaps three Galaxy Gear users in the past few months here in my mid-size city.

Every one of the Moto X users was a fairly-young hipster.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2015, 07:35 AM

I know a couple of people who have a Galaxy Gear because it was "shipped" for free with their phone. Only one of them uses it.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2015, 05:55 PM

I'm still on the fence about it. I haven't been able to wear a watch for six months now, and once I can, I'm not sure I'll want to. I just got an iPhone 6+ last Thursday, I'm on my fourth iPad, and on my 7th Mac, so I'm certainly an Apple fan, but I'll need a little more convincing before I open the wallet.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2015, 10:11 PM

Not the slightest bit interested or excited about the AppleWatch (or any other wearable from any other company). While Apple has been the 'in' company for consumers for the better part of the decade, i doubt the general public will be willing to afford it the benefit of the doubt at that price tag IMHO.

IMHO, aesthetically it's ugly, the interface(human-technology) is convoluted, the functionality is redundant and fairly undefined at this point, and the 'bonuses' (like the heart beat thing) are gimmicks. I might be going against the norm, but i don't think this product has what it takes to be successful.

PS>> I don't think marketing can 'fix' the problem

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2015, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
The original iPod was like a brick compared to an iPhone today. And it was the greatest thing since sliced bread at the time. A true game changer.

OAW
I agree. The 'emotional hook' was music. portable music made simple. Whats the 'hook' with the AppleWatch (or any of the other wearables from anyone else)? I can't seem to find it personally. And at the prices for these things, i'd rather spend elsewhere.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Not the slightest bit interested or excited about the AppleWatch (or any other wearable from any other company). While Apple has been the 'in' company for consumers for the better part of the decade, i doubt the general public will be willing to afford it the benefit of the doubt at that price tag IMHO.
Have you priced analog watches lately? REAL ones? The price is not a problem.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2015, 11:44 AM

LG is finally releasing a smart watch that the general public may want to wear (aside from the chintzy-looking band, which is a 22mm standard size). It's substantially thinner than their G Watch R and comes in gold or silver tone.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2015, 11:51 AM

I saw that yesterday. I don't understand what it does, since the face is normal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules