Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Waterproofing your iBook

Waterproofing your iBook
irus
Forum Regular
May 16, 2003, 08:44 PM

Is anyone aware of a bag or laptop sleeve that will protect the 12" iBook from water damage?

I'm tempted to pick up 800mhz/640MB/60GB/CD-ROM/Airport iBook to replace my aged IBM X20. For the latter, I used to keep 2 giant Ziplock bags (one for computer, another for power supply and PC cards) in my backpack, which worked out rather well in the long term. However, since I'll be spending around $1200 for a new laptop, I might as well get something nice to protect it.

If only Panasonic and Apple joined their efforts to make Tough-iBook!

PS: Also, does anyone know if current iBooks still have a problem with keyboard imprints on the screen? I saw a new one at the Apple Store and it appears to have different rubber spacers than roommates' 700/Combo.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
May 17, 2003, 12:05 AM

I can't really answer concerning the waterproofing question. However, I do have a 600 Mhz iBook, and I've never had any trouble with the keyboard making any marks on the screen. It still looks as good as new after a year and a half of use.

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2003, 04:32 AM

I don't know about usage re: laptops, but Ortlieb dry bags are great. I use them when kayaking and they do the job well.

http://www.ortliebusa.com/drybags/drybags.html

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2003, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by superblue:
I don't know about usage re: laptops, but Ortlieb dry bags are great. I use them when kayaking and they do the job well.

http://www.ortliebusa.com/drybags/drybags.html
You take your iBook kayaking?
we don't have time to stop for gas

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 11:09 PM

Leave it on the dock.

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2003, 11:33 PM

No, I think that would be testing it's ruggedness a bit too much! I just meant the bags are good quality and they've held up well when I've used them whilst kayaking - for keeping my camera, food and clothes dry!

meducus
May 19, 2003, 05:29 PM

I use 2 ibook-sized bubblewrap sleves/envelopes from the Post Office, one inside the other to make it tougher.

Works great, good protection, water resistant (not water proof) and costs $1.

-Q-
May 21, 2003, 09:15 AM

Ziploc bag?

iamnid
Senior User
May 21, 2003, 10:50 PM

what about heat if the ibook is enclosed in a bag?

meducus
May 22, 2003, 10:28 PM

omg...are you serious man? You take the ibook out of the bag before you use it. Sheesh

iamnid
Senior User
May 23, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by meducus:
omg...are you serious man? You take the ibook out of the bag before you use it. Sheesh
ha ha... actually I was serious... I guess I wasn't paying too much attention when I read the thread... I thought it needed to be waterproof as it was going to be used in light rain or on the deck of a boat or something... seems silly now... I deserved that stick being poked in my eye.

Forum Links
Forum Rules