Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm buying an iBook..

I'm buying an iBook..
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2003, 04:11 PM

A few weeks ago a friend of mine told me that her friend needed help with her iBook. I told my friend I'd take a look at her friend's computer.

I got it and it was a 500/8MB Video/DVD-ROM/factory everything else iBook. (Early or late 2000 model, yea?)

I basically wiped the drive and updated her 10.1 to 10.2.6, got rid of OS9. After that I just let it sit here for a few days. I really dug it, especially since I just got the USB cable for my cellphone, and I can use it to surf wirelessly anywhere.

After updating stuff, I saved her a little text file on the desktop explaining what I had done and gave her some resources online to make her iBook experience a better one. She's a switcher - sort of..

Her husband and herself had gotten two matching iBooks -$1000 US for the pair. a really good deal I'd say. Anyhow, the husband's keeping his and the wife doesn't want hers(the one I played with). She's gonna sell it, and I'm first in line (no one else is in line).. She still wants $500 for the book and I'd say that's a nice price, right?

I noticed two things about the computer that hopefully aren't a big deal:

-the plug on the iBook where the power cable goes.. the cable end doesn't stay in the iBook well. at all. Actually you need to spin the connector in the port until you see the power's actually charging.. sometimes letting go of the cable or moving the computer while plugged in causes it to stop charging, as it moves the cable.

-twice while having the computer, when opening the screen all the way (sort of pushing the display back until it won't go anymore, but not forcefully) the screen would go dark, yet the computer's still running as normal.. you can make it sleep, restart, save something, anything. the screen is just dark. both times a restart brought it back to normal.

bad connector or something? maybe a freshening at the local apple joint would be nice?

sooo, overall I like the sound of having an iBook to complement my G4. For 500 bucks I don't feel I can go wrong, especially since I spent about 9 days with the thing and enjoyed every minute I used it.

any drawbacks?

-drew
ice

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 04:27 PM

Sounds decent, but here's my take.

She paid $500, that's leverage right there to get her price down. Secondly, a faulty power adapter plug isn't a good thing, escp. considering your iBook is worthless w/o power, and altough it works now, if it ever failed totally, you'd be S.O.L. w/o some repair work.

I'd probably take it for $400 if she'd go that low, escp. since you said you're the only buyer in line.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2003, 04:32 PM

yea, in my discussion with my friend(the one who knows the girl with the computer) I told her to bring up the monitor and the power adaptor problem and suggest $100 dollars less making it $400.. as we all know when ya own somethin, even for a month or two, your grubby hands are making it depreciate.

I have at least a two week window to work this out.
ice

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:
yea, in my discussion with my friend(the one who knows the girl with the computer) I told her to bring up the monitor and the power adaptor problem and suggest $100 dollars less making it $400.. as we all know when ya own somethin, even for a month or two, your grubby hands are making it depreciate.

I have at least a two week window to work this out.
The two issues you describe are 2 well-known problems on the original DUAL USB iBook. You'll definitely have to get them fixed by Apple. But I think it's still a good deal...

yg17
Jul 17, 2003, 02:34 AM

Buying the iBook then getting the problems fixed will cost if it doesnt have AppleCare. You might be better off buying a brand new iBook 800 for $1000

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2003, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by yg17:
Buying the iBook then getting the problems fixed will cost if it doesnt have AppleCare. You might be better off buying a brand new iBook 800 for $1000
I don't like the sound of that.
I'd be fairly certain it doesn't have AppleCare.
hmmmm....
ice

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by yg17:

Totally agree. By the time all the problems are fixed you'd have spend as much as you would have on a brand new machine.

Especially as the 500 is extremely long in the tooth by now and shows it too. Personally I would not touch it. Check out the difference between the 500 and a brand new 900 and prepare top be amazed.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2003, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Totally agree. By the time all the problems are fixed you'd have spend as much as you would have on a brand new machine.

Especially as the 500 is extremely long in the tooth by now and shows it too. Personally I would not touch it. Check out the difference between the 500 and a brand new 900 and prepare top be amazed.
even for 400 bucks? the power adapter thing, I don't think is a big deal.. get a new adapter or have the plug on the iBook adjusted somehow..

the screen, seems like it's just a connection problem.. not like it's going south.

agreed, it's a 500MHz with 8MB graphics chip.. other than that, the thing was great when I had it for a week or two.

hrmm.. : \

oh, and I looked in the knowledgebase for articles on these two issues as pat++ said they were well known... anyone have a link or something? I'd like to know beforehand if I was indeed getting into $$ to fix these problems
ice

radarbob
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2003, 09:53 AM

If this used iBook is not absolutely critical for something, then I'd take a chance - but first I'd try three things:

Open and close the iBook about 100 times. If the screen functions normally 100% during this test then I'd feel good about that.

Make sure the shroud around the adapter plug-pin isn't "spread out". make sure the shroud hugs. A light use of pliars could fix that. If this doesn't solve the problem then a new adapter is 80 bucks. Oh, and carefully examine the chord right where it goes into the plug-head. Your adapter symptoms sound like ours but our problem was damage to the power chord right at the plug-head. My experience has been that it's too easy to bend it right there and cause the wire to eventually break.

Use the iBook on battery from a full charge and see how much time you get. I can't say what's OK exactly on an older iBook, but if it's, say, only 1 - 1.5 hours then negotiate a lower selling price. A new battery is about $130.
bb iBook 300MHz / OS 9.2.2 / OS 10.2.2 / 544MB / 40GB
iceBook 700MHz / OS 10.2.2 / 368MB / 20GB

fhoubi
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 12:01 PM

Ice, based on (my) iBook (700 combo) problems an iBook without Applecare is something you do not want. It is not the question if it is going to break down, but when, sadly.

A likely to happen regular repair will cost you more than you will pay for that used iBook....

My 4.5 years old iMac is still running fine, but my 1 year old iBook got twice repaired (3 times when battery included) within the last 7 weeks.

The only problem with AppleCare is that it expires after 3 years, so even an 2+ years old iBook with AppleCare, which you do not have, is not a good offer imo.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

iamnid
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 03:13 PM

The power adapter isn't a big deal -- my girlfriend's ibook does the same thing... at the very least, apple sells replacement adapters fro $69.00.

The display on the other hand is something I might be leery about -- I'm not familiar with the problem except that it is fairly common on 500mhz ibooks -- you'll have to judge how serious the problem is.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 18, 2003, 02:35 PM

well shucks..

I don't think I'll be getting it after all. After going to the Apple discussion forums I found an alarming number of people with the same problem with their screens going black..

a fix by apple for around 400 bucks or a do it yourself fix for around 100 bucks.. neither seem attractive to me.

even people with a few month old iBooks are having this happen. doesn't sound too good.

I reaally want a 12" laptop.. I may start saving for a Powerbook.. and I'll definitely be getting ye ol AppleCare as well.

: \
ice

mark2
Jul 18, 2003, 02:41 PM

The 500 is a nice machine. I have one and it has been absolutely trouble free for over a year.

There are power adapters you can buy for about $45.00 (post back if you buy it and I'll search for the link). Just be sure that it is the adapter, and NOT a problem with the plug on the computer. If the circuit board connection is cracked, that's a problem I would not want to deal with.

The problem with the screen could represent an expensive repair when it finally goes out. And it almost certainly will, in time. The cables to the screen pass through the hinge and over time the insulation on the wires wears through and the thing shorts out, or the power is simply cut. Here's a link to a thread dealing with the details of this problem.

http://forums.dealmac.com/read.html?...1205&t=1251205

If I were you I would run away from this machine. I wouldn't buy it even for $100.00.

Save just a bit more and you can find lots of refurbished ibooks out there. I saw a 600 for something like $650. That's what I would do.

It's your choice, but I hope you don't buy this particular ibook.

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 21, 2003, 11:06 PM

I second fhoubi: two iMacs, no problems. One iBook- sent for repairs twice. And it needs to be sent again for partially corrected, annoying shut down problem.

It must be the beating these little machines take. Mine gets tossed around plenty. I suppose I should be happy it functions as well as it does.

However I'm still not absolutely sure about Applecare though. It seems like the safe bet but if I take my chances and it could last me a year more, I'd rather buy another iBook than blow $200+ now on this one.

Oh I'm sorry, about your dilemna: if you have the extra cash, get a used 800 iBook. Otherwise be a risk taker, take it for $300. With delicate use it may last you long enough to be worth while.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules