Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Before Applecare Expires...

Before Applecare Expires...
Dougmc
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 02:20 PM

My Applecare coverage is going to be expiring in March of 2006 on my Powerbook. I'd really like to have Apple have one last look at it while it's covered by Applecare so that anything that might have a chance of getting taken care of gets fixed.

I had a hard drive die on me about 9-months after I got the machine, and while they were replacing the drive they also replaced the monitor—which was mighty kind I thought.

However, I'm wondering if I need to have a specific problem before they'll give me a check-up? Or, can I just send it in for a general physical and get everything looked over before I'm without Applecare and off on my own?
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2005, 02:22 PM

You have to have a problem. Of course, you could send it in and let the tech folks create a problem ...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Dougmc  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 02:24 PM

Honestly, that's why I'd like to send it back in kinda early, so that when the break something in the process of "fixing" what's not broken yet I'll still have some time under my Applecare coverage to get it taken care of without a serious hassle.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2005, 07:35 PM

That's horrible.

The tech people are busy all day fixing machines that actually *are* broken. The more machines they get the longer the repair times for everyone else. Three years is plenty long enough to have a working machine. Anything past that is pure luck.

Dougmc  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 08:50 PM

I have to say that I disagree with OogaBooga's logic that utilizing a warranty that I've paid a premium price for jeoprodizes machines that are in for service due to an unfortunate malfunction.

I believe that the more work that is placed on the bench in front of a tech provides these workers with a level of job security they would welcome. Additionally, these are the people that the common computer user should be entrusting the performance of what is arguably the most advanced computer system to. Who is in a better position to analyze, evaluate, and test our equipment then the people we have paid (via Applecare) to remain inimitable on every minute aspect of this equipments performance?

To use an analogy, would you suggest that we not take our car to the dealership for an oil change so that the mechanic can spend his busy day working on a car that is actually broken?

Unfortunately, I do not have the disposable income that allows me to discard a working machine after only three years. In fact, I am actively working on Macs at my office that are coming up on six-years-old. And, I anticipate using this machine for some time to come—and with regular maintenance, I have no reason do believe it will fail me any time soon.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2005, 09:37 PM

Dougmc,

Not to be rude or anything, but have you ever been to an Apple Store? In order to get a piece of Apple equipment looked at you have to sign in to the Genius Bar. And each person that signs in adds 15 minutes to the total estimated wait time, assuming no one goes over their allocated amount of time. And half the people in the Apple Store are just waiting to be called to the Genius Bar.

Here's how it would go down:

- "Hi, my PowerBook's AppleCare is going to expire soon, and I was wondering if you could just check it to make sure nothing's going to die."

- *Genius opens PowerBook and turns it on* "Well there's nothing wrong with it now. We can't really fix a problem before it happens."

- "You mean you don't have X-ray psychic super powers?"

- "No."

What I'm trying to say is, along with wasting the tech's time, there's no way to forsee a problem before it happens. They're not going to disect and inspect it unless there's an actual reproducible problem with the machine. The most they'll do is open the lid, turn it in their hands, and give it back to you.

The AppleCare extends the manufacturer's warranty and gives you unlimited tech support on a machine. It doesn't provide any kind of special customer service.

Look, you might want to try ProCare if you're wanting more from the techs at the Genius Bar.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 10:42 PM

There is no reason he has to turn it in at the Genius Bar. In fact, that seems like the least efficient way to do it, given the lines.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 10:54 PM

Duplicate.

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 02:20 AM

Dougmc I see your point, and it is a valid one, but OogaBooga also has a point, maybe not for the reason he thinks.. usually with electronics there is a sudden and catastrophic failure. With the car analogy, you can take measurements, sense there are moving parts, ect, and you can tell if there are parts wearing at an unacceptable rate. With your laptop and everyone elses, the hard drive is pretty much the only moving part in the whole machine.. and the hard drive is either working or not… a logic board, no one can tell when it is going to go out, or what part on it might fry, could be a diode, or resistor no telling.. so it would be VERY hard predetermine what could go wrong.. from what I have seen on the board, with apple replacing other parts that “might not need to be repaired” I think that is them just being anal retentive.. My last powerbook was a 98 wall street, and I had that pb for 5 years? The last thing that went wrong with that pb, was the AC board.. and that’s because of the ac cord being plugged in and out all the time.

So, yes, you did pay for the applecare, as did i.. but at this point there is really nothing you can do, besides don’t abuse your machine, to make sure that nothing bad goes wrong.. otherwise, there is nothing that you can do.. I wouldn’t sweat it to much though, you’ve had your computer for 3 years now.. and one other thing to keep in mind, if an electronic device is going to fail it will most likely fail very soon after production.. where I work, we have electronics from the early 90’s.. and they are still working like a champ… and they are 15 years old, and go though a much tougher working environment than you will ever imagine putting your pb in..

Don’t know if this helps out or not, but one thing you could do is call apple care, and see what they say..

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2005, 03:49 AM

Take it in. Just don't complain when your hard drive is wiped clean and you PB is scratched (if not worse).

Then go and read what Applecare actually means.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 03:30 PM

Don't fix what ain't broken.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

bighead
Senior User
Sep 27, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by benwhanlee
Don't fix what ain't broken.
I think it's more like you can't fix what's not broken.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 05:33 PM

I think it's normal to have thoughts on this subject similar to Dougmc's - at least the same thing has occurred to me. On the other hand, unless there's an issue you're not going to get much service from Apple or a reseller. Perhaps you could get an independent consultant to look at your Mac, but the cost would probably far exceed the benefit considering you could likely do the same diagnostics yourself. Prior to any of my Macs going out of Apple Care I just plan to test as many ports as I can and give it a thorough visual inspection. But if you're really worried, you may want to look into separate insurance such as Safeware.

Dougmc: It may only apply to 15" PBs, but if I owned a 15" or 17" I would be concerned about the second RAM slot malfunctioning, as has happened to a significant portion of 15" PB owners. I don't want to worry you over it, but it is something to be mindful of.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Sep 27, 2005 at 05:45 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

outsourced
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I think it's normal to have thoughts on this subject similar to Dougmc's - at least I do. Prior to my Macs going out of Apple Care I just plan to test as many ports as I can and give it a thorough visual inspection. If you're really worried, you may want to look into separate insurance such as Safeware.
ditto

Here's a thought: Upgrade the machine maybe with RAM or a new hard drive and have an Apple certified tech install the upgrade. Ask them to give the machine a thorough test -- they'll have to run a minimal test anyway, depending on what component was installed.

So, at least you won't be "wasting" a tech's time. Consequently, if they break something while installing the upgrade, it's fixed under warranty.

Just a thought.
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 06:02 PM

Great suggestion, outsourced.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dougmc  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2005, 10:41 AM

I like Outsourced's idea. The harddrive is certainly the investment for me to make—regardless. I'll likely pursue that scenario.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by outsourced
So, at least you won't be "wasting" a tech's time. Consequently, if they break something while installing the upgrade, it's fixed under warranty.
If a tech breaks something, isn't that supposed to be covered by Apple under liability since they're the one's that broke it?

But anyways, really I think the purpose of Applecare is for peace of mind, as with any extended warranty. It's not so you can take it in for a look-over any time you get an inkling to.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Forum Links
Forum Rules