Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > At least we won't have those Intel Inside stickers on the new PB's now...

At least we won't have those Intel Inside stickers on the new PB's now...
siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2005, 09:10 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4568920.stm

Thank God...

I wonder if Apple will use any new Intel logos on their hardware though?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by siflippant
I wonder if Apple will use any new Intel logos on their hardware though?
Why would they? They're still Apple machines, not Intel machines. Apple didn't put Motorola's or IBM's logo on the hardware or anyone else's for that matter... why would they put Intel's on?
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

ibook_steve
Dec 30, 2005, 02:19 PM

Because Intel pays companies a lot of money for putting that damn sticker on the box. It's fantastic branding. People specifically look for "Intel Inside" and they think that's a sign of quality. It's similar to these old chestnuts: "PowerPC ready" and my favorite "System 7 Savvy." But I seriously doubt Apple would ever put any extra stickers or logos on the box. It would ruin the look and Johnny Ive and Steve would have none of that.

Steve

siflippant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
Why would they? They're still Apple machines, not Intel machines. Apple didn't put Motorola's or IBM's logo on the hardware or anyone else's for that matter... why would they put Intel's on?
lol... just asking...

sweet

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2005, 09:48 PM

I think Apple will go for the discount and slap the Intel stickers on them. Macsnobs will publish how-to guides for removing them.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Because Intel pays companies a lot of money for putting that damn sticker on the box.
I know why other companies do it, but I think it was pretty obvious that in my response "Why would they?" referred to Apple, and not some hypothetical computer company.. last I knew Apple wasn't a hypothetical company anyways
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

k2director
Senior User
Dec 31, 2005, 08:36 PM

I'd be very surprised if Apple started putting Intel Inside (or whatever the new logo is) on the physical hardware. Apple's not in business to help establish the Intel brand, and no amount of marketing dollars from Intel will change that. A huge part of Apple's identity is that it's different from all the other drab PCs out there....you think Apple is going to compromise that unique positioning just for some marketing subsidies? I doubt it...

hollowflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
I think Apple will go for the discount and slap the Intel stickers on them. Macsnobs will publish how-to guides for removing them.
Haha, that sounds about right

Baron the Jester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 01:09 PM

Apple finally decides to switch from the PowerPC to Intel and shortly thereafter, Intel decides to drop their 32 year old logo and slogan?? Coincidence, or is there a connection?
"Intel Inside" would never fit on an Apple computer but "Leap Ahead" just might.
Though I've never seen a Apple in the last few years that shipped with any kind of sticker on it, so I doubt they'll put that Intel thing on as well. But I can guarantee that when you open the box, you'll find a big "Leap Ahead" card advertising the new processor. Apple will still get the money somehow. Maybe they'll start calling them the iBook Yonah and put the processor in the title of the computer, much like they do with the G4, G5's.

ibook_steve
Jan 4, 2006, 02:55 PM

Knowing the industrial design team at Apple since I used to work there, they will *never* allow a sticker on a machine. An insert or something else is much more likely. You will never see an ugly sticker on an Apple computer. Of course, I could be eating my words next week, but I doubt it.

Steve

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 05:48 PM

So no stickers, good, but do you rekon there will be a logo on startup - like you turn on the mac and before you get the grey apple loader, you get an intel logo - thats what I used to get on my sony windows box
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2006, 06:09 PM

Anybody remember when Apple had processor-branded logos on every machine?

ibook_steve
Jan 4, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
So no stickers, good, but do you rekon there will be a logo on startup - like you turn on the mac and before you get the grey apple loader, you get an intel logo - thats what I used to get on my sony windows box
If it were up to Apple, there'd be no system repair utilities, no system profiler, and no terminal installed with the OS. Apple does not think users need to have any idea what is inside the box or need to worry about what's inside the box, just that it works and gets their job done. There will be no logo other than the Apple logo.

Steve

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 11:25 PM

It would be very anti-Apple to do it.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

warfarer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 04:12 PM

If they use their regular decals, I wouldn't worry about it. The regular decals wouldn't stick to the aluminum well enough to stay on long. If they use those heavy duty partly metal sticker things, then you have to worry since the adhesive is so strong and nasty to clean up.
iStink (with my Mac)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 04:38 AM

Apple used to stick the PowerPC logo on every PowerPC based machine. I could see them putting an Intel Inside logo on the bottom with the other logos.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 05:50 AM

I really wouldn't mind if they did, if it ment a cheaper powerbook for the end user because of intel funding. Perhaps they could put on a clear and white logo (that would look much like it was etched on) - thus keeping to the sleak apple design and still getting the funding. I really don't see what the problem with that would be. Intel is a good company, there's nothing wrong with a tastefully done graphic that advertises the machine uses an Intel processor. Atleast now we'll actually get advances in technology with that sticker. Either way, if there's money involved, I doubt apple is going to pass it up. While they probably won't go for the traditional intel sticker, I wouldn't doubt there will be a logo during the bootup (how often do we see that anyway - couple times a year?) or perhaps a tastfully done sticker/etching somewhere.

Just my 2 cents
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules