Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New 80 GB iPod with dead pixels!!

New 80 GB iPod with dead pixels!!
gotanproject
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 01:18 PM

Just bought an 80gb ipod last week (@ the apple store) and noticed a couple of days ago that I got a pretty big deadpixel (possibely 2 or more combined together) stuck on the middle right side of the screen. The more annoying part is the dead pixel is bright green in a 2.5inch small screen and there a couple other dead pixels scatted on the bottom of the screen that is much smaller than the one in the middle right side of the screen.

I have dealt with apple warranty service regarding my first generation MBP. It was unacceptable. I am afraid I will be treated the same way again with this brand new vidoe ipod.

I would like a replacement ipod.
Any suggestions?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2006, 02:12 PM

hows bout take it back to the apple store you bought it from and ask for a replacement. it sounds like you have 4 or 5 dead pixels and on a 2.5" screen...i could see how that can be a problem.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2006, 02:13 PM

I'd say more than one dead pixel on a 320x240 display is pretty unacceptable, especially if there's two next to each other. I'd take it back.

damn, e;f;b

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

gotanproject  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 03:16 PM

Just came back from the apple store at suburban square, Philadelphia.
Just another horrible experience. They refuse to replace my Ipod, but they will gladly refund me $310 (somewhere around that amount) for the 10% restocking fee.

WTF!!

bingpwr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 03:37 PM

damn...apple sometimes...i don't know...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2006, 05:49 PM

did they explain what their dead pixel policy is on ipods?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 06:07 PM

From think secret (apple rumor site):
"Of much debate in recent years, for example, has been Apple's policy regarding dead pixels on displays in its products. Reports have varied as to what Apple considers normal and abnormal in this regard, from specific numbers of dead pixels required in order to receive a free replacement to the location of such pixels. Unknown to many Apple retail store customers, especially those dialing AppleCare for help with the matter, at the manager's discretion any retail store is able to replace displays, laptops, or iMacs with even a single dead pixel, regardless of location. Even displays that exhibit dead pixels within the "normal" range can be replaced free of charge if the customer deems the so-called "pixel anomaly" unacceptable."

gotanproject  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 07:38 PM

The guy I have spoken to is the same guy I spoke to few months ago regarding my MBP. I went in for a battery replacement for my MBP and he blatantly told me that "MBP battery failure is not a known issue" and "I will have to take your MBP in for inspection which will take weeks to replace the battery, you should just buy another battery". After I insisted speaking to his supervisor he coughed up the MBP batter within minutes... This is the same guy working at the genius bar @ Suburban Squre (Philadelphia Area).

AND for today. The same a$$hole was there. I told him that my 5 day old 80gb ipod has dead pixels. He then instructed me to show it to him and we were able to spot the dead pixels right away. However after he went in to speak to his supervisor along with my ipod he told me that my 5 day old ipod only has 1 dead pixel and the few other dead pixel like dots are not dead pixels, but a mere poor coating of the screen(some kind of prism effect). He then explained that to me that it is in accetable condition for me to use it and suggested that I return the product for with the 10% restocking fee. I told him it is not acceptable and he told me to deal with the apple care directly.

Like I said this happened before with my MBP. It is obvious the apple store @ Suburban Squre (Philadelphia Area) do not want to replace or fix the products I purchsed from them for expense reasons.

Now I am dealing with the Apple care directly and they are senidng me a box to send the ipod in for a repair.... This whole process has greatly wasted my time and my money, not to even mention that Apple products are a lot more expensive than other competing products.

Any suggestions? I am pissed and I feel like I wasted my $370....
( Last edited by gotanproject; Oct 4, 2006 at 07:44 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules