Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Bungie Breaks Away...back to mac?

Bungie Breaks Away...back to mac?
klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 01:53 PM

Bungie breaks away, goes independent - Xbox 360 Fanboy

It looks like Bungie is breaking away from the death grip of Microsoft. Your Thoughts? Could this mean the return to Mac development? Whats next for the guys at Bungie?

I hope with creative freedom away from the grip of being the "halo company" Bungie can make some awesome OTHER games along side the Halo franchise, and maybe JUST maybe bring them to the Mac...

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 02:26 PM

I personally doubt you'll see them make Mac software, again. I think those days are over. They haven't touch Mac software since they, sold out, I mean got bought out. They will probably just stick with being a console developer, and maybe a PC games, but who knows.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Oct 5, 2007 at 03:47 PM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2007, 03:28 PM

I da know... The only reason they ever shunned the Mac was because Microsoft bought them. Thus it was Microsoft that dictated their product developments.

There are still a lot of very Mac friendly people at Bungie. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few things in store for Mac users down the road.

But for the most part, I agree that they're now a mainstream development house. And that we'll likely see the bulk of their efforts put toward console and PC gaming projects.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 05:39 PM

Didn't know about this thread when I posted here

Yeah, I'm sure they will continues to make obscene amounts of money, but nothing the company has put out since Marathon (and maybe Myth to a degree) has captured my interest. Hell, I still fire up Aleph One occasionally to relive the good old days.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2007, 03:32 PM

Bungie has told MacWorld that they are certainly open to Mac development:
Macworld: News: Bungie: When it comes to the Mac, never say never

Keep in mind, the Halo franchise is staying with MS and Bungie sold Myth when the MS buyout happened.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Keep in mind, the Halo franchise is staying with MS
Incorrect

1UP: For all the super fans: does this mean Bungie won't work on whatever "Halo 4" turns out to be?

Jarrard: Well we are already at work on another Halo game -- I wouldn't call it "Halo 4", but it is based in the Halo Universe and represents a collaboration between Bungie and Peter Jackson. Halo 3 was definitely not the last Bungie Halo game.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2007, 06:42 PM

I'm doubtful that Bungie will make games for the Mac in mind. Many people left Bungie including co-founder Alex Seropian who created Wideload Games (Stubbs the Zombie). And the only other well known person of Bungie that is still technically a part of the company is the other co-founder Jason Jones, who was only in the Halo 3 credits as a special thanks.

Secondly, why make games for the Mac in mind at all? Since Apple sold out (switched to Intel) Mactels can run any PC game. So that leaves the few the proud the brave PPC users. Alas, if Bungie were to go back to their roots and create a spiritual successor to Myth, then I would imagine that at least an Aspyr port would be in the works.

Just don't hold your breath. Bungie is easily the best FPS developer of the consoles now, and I imagine that any company would give them a boatload of money to have them develop a new Halo.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
...They haven't touch Mac software since they, sold out, I mean got bought out. They will probably just stick with being a console developer, and maybe a PC games, but who knows.
Bungie didn't 'sell out' when they left the Mac platform. It was their first great business move as a dev studio.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2007, 08:52 PM

Can we hope for return to the Marathon universe?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
Bungie didn't 'sell out' when they left the Mac platform. It was their first great business move as a dev studio.
Microsoft threw them a bone to gain a 'killer' franchise for the XBox, as they were entering new territory and trying to buy their way in. Microsoft was buying studios left and right at the time and still doing it now. Bungie was the best by far with the best project in the works of the developer studios they bought, so Bungie scrapped the Windows and Mac version to become an X-Box only franchise. They got an offer they couldn't refuse and thus... 'sold out'.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2007, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
No, correct. The situation is reversed now. Microsoft is licensing Halo to Bungie for Bungie to make a Halo game.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 01:42 PM

If they are smart they will go the Blizzard route. They should develop for both Windows and Mac simultaneously. They have the money to do so. I've always wondered why more large game studios don't follow in Blizzard's footsteps. Blizzard obviously makes a profit off of dual development, so why can't other studios? I understand its all about the team you have and the capital, but I think Bungie now has the capital, and possibly the team (if not, they can hire a solid team).

I really hope they revive Marathon and give us another killer FPS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules