Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Firewire networking on Macs

Firewire networking on Macs
Sap
Aug 21, 2002, 01:44 PM

Has Apple implemented support for FireWire networks (IP over 1394) yet? I'd like to connect a Cube to my PC via FireWire so I can control the Cube via VNC faster. I haven't figured out a way to do this though, but as Apple is the pioneer of FireWire (right?) I'm sure I'm just overlooking something.

Anyone have any ideas?

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Sap:
Has Apple implemented support for FireWire networks (IP over 1394) yet? I'd like to connect a Cube to my PC via FireWire so I can control the Cube via VNC faster. I haven't figured out a way to do this though, but as Apple is the pioneer of FireWire (right?) I'm sure I'm just overlooking something.

Anyone have any ideas?
Unfortunately, whilst Apple invented FireWire and included in the spec provision for IP over FireWire, it has never bothered implementing support for this on its own operating systems. You can, of course, do this in Windows.

Pathetic really.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2002, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:

Unfortunately, whilst Apple invented FireWire and included in the spec provision for IP over FireWire, it has never bothered implementing support for this on its own operating systems. You can, of course, do this in Windows.

Pathetic really.
I distinctly remember reading how networking over Firewire would be available in Jaguar. This was when Apple released the first info on 10.2, I think it was mentioned as part of rendezvous, but I could be wrong on this point. Had a quick look on their site now and can't find any mention of this.

Anyway, all is not lost. Checkout this out: http://www.unibrain.com/1394_product...irenet_mac.htm

Sap  (op)
Aug 21, 2002, 04:51 PM

Doh, that Unibrain thing looked very promising but, alas, it causes 10.2 to hard crash every time. The screen turns a transparent gray and a box in the middle tells you to force restart your computer in 4 or so languages... Graphite screen of death . I had to go to OS 9 in order to fix it.

It also doesn't work in 9.2 - says I need to install an older version of FireWire. When I try to install the older version of FireWire, Apple says my system is too new so it can't be installed.

Not to mention that it costs $70 or so (per computer) Oh well. Maybe 10.2.1 will add this functionality. I can't wait to be able to control my Cube at perfect speeds from a window in my PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules