Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing the LCD in a TiBook 1GHz Display module

Replacing the LCD in a TiBook 1GHz Display module
WSKCONDOR
Mar 20, 2004, 07:15 AM

OK,
I dropped it over Christmas. Then I looked on Ebay and saw LCD screens and got one for about 300 bucks. BUT, it is JUST the LCD, not the whole top (i.e. "display module") for the Powerbook. It is scary, I know, but I don't have much to lose at this point:
Does ANYONE have information on replacing the LCD panel in a TiBook 1GHz Display module (i.e. top case)?

There are four torx screws, two on either side of the slim screen, but they don't seem to do anything. The screen enclosure itself appears to be"tabbed" together with grooves that interlock, but I don't know what the mechanism is, and I didn't want to pry it apart with a knife first thing. Is it glued together? Why would someone sell the LCD panel unless there was SOME way to refurbish the display module by replacing the LCD.
The service manual only describes replacing the entire display module.
I know this is varsity work. Any help would be appreciated.

-WSK

vharris528
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by WSKCONDOR:
OK,
I dropped it over Christmas. Then I looked on Ebay and saw LCD screens and got one for about 300 bucks. BUT, it is JUST the LCD, not the whole top (i.e. "display module") for the Powerbook. It is scary, I know, but I don't have much to lose at this point:
Does ANYONE have information on replacing the LCD panel in a TiBook 1GHz Display module (i.e. top case)?

There are four torx screws, two on either side of the slim screen, but they don't seem to do anything. The screen enclosure itself appears to be"tabbed" together with grooves that interlock, but I don't know what the mechanism is, and I didn't want to pry it apart with a knife first thing. Is it glued together? Why would someone sell the LCD panel unless there was SOME way to refurbish the display module by replacing the LCD.
The service manual only describes replacing the entire display module.
I know this is varsity work. Any help would be appreciated.

-WSK
I dropped my powerbook about a year ago and the hinge broke. To replace the hinge the lcd screen had to be removed. The lcd assembly is glued and screwed together making the job a real tough job left to someone who has experience replacing these things. In the end a found a powerbook repair depot who did the work. Unfortunately, I don''t know if someone like this exists in the UK if so run don't walk to them. Apple will charge you a small fortune to replace the screen. Maybe the repair outfit in the UK will use the screen you purchased on ebay and just charge you labor.

Good luck...

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 06:06 PM

Thing is you already broke the original screen so I wouldn't worry about damaging that

Instead of using a knife try using a credit card.
Aloha

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 20, 2004, 06:57 PM

Make sure it is just the LCD. Then go here. Download the correct manuals, make sure you have all the parts and tools, and make sure you clearly understand the directions. A set of numbered disposable cups is also nice to keep track of which screws came out in what order.

Good luck.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

himself
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 09:07 PM

It is a hair-raising task, but if you're up to it, you can find illustrated instructions here. The second half to dismantling the display can be found here.

Finally, instructions for putting it all back together.

Good luck!
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

WSKCONDOR  (op)
Mar 21, 2004, 06:41 AM

Tomster,
That site does not have manuals or directions for replacing the LCD panel IN the display module (just the whole display module). I had found that site before. But thanks anyway.

himself,
thanks and that's exactly what I was looking for.

All,
I know it is daunting, but I am going to do it. I have the tools I need, and have done some other things, iBook replacement of hard drives, TiBook superdrive replacement, but you are right, this one is really harder because of the metal bending and glue involved. It may not work out too pretty, but I don't think I have a lot to lose if I am careful. Worst case I can punt and BUY a new display module, which will cost a lot, but that's what I would be paying anyway. I am already commited to the LCD panel.
This whole project is really a salvaging of the TiBook 1GHz Because it served me so well and still is a great computer. The workmanship was fantastic and not since my Pismo 400MHz have I had an Apple that had this quality. I would have purchsed a 15" AL Book the next day, except there are SO MANY complaints in the forums about quality, screens, even dead keyboard keys. Seems like Apple works through most of these problems and eventually gets a winner with most products (like the fully evolved TiBook). So I may yet go Aluminum (or Aluminium) 15" or wait and see if the G5 makes it into a powerbook this year.
Thanks and I will let you know what the outcome is.
WSK

Forum Links
Forum Rules