Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > What happened to my finder???

What happened to my finder???
aManDrinksMilk
Sep 14, 2004, 08:25 AM

Well I was using Shapeshifter, changing from theme to theme. I had just installed the Quake theme.. But then i decided to install the Blue Metal theme. I restart my computer. My finder is down. No desktop icons no search, nothing. My finder just doesn't work anymore... It very weird that now when i start my computer i have a Quake loading screen a Blue metal Log in screen, a Blue metal Finder that I see if i click finder in the dock fast enough, and all the applications that work (almost everything, safari msn messger iTunes etc etc etc) have a Shinabi skin. Now what happened???

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2004, 08:30 AM

Have you tried Aqua Restore to get everything back to "normal"?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 14, 2004, 08:59 AM

yes i tried it :/

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2004, 10:06 AM

this is probably too late BUT

Quaker <awsome as it is> requires attention to details. Mainly a workflow...

1. install Quaker log out, even restart to get everything to take.
2. uninstall using the restore before[ using SS...

gosh this suxx

did you try -
turning off SS
restart
run aquafix from Quaker

Read

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=227796
near the bottom "d4nth3m4n" gives the Pacifist solution to "Soho"

Dave-o�
Senior User
Sep 14, 2004, 10:21 AM

Turn off SS if you can... Then restart while holding down Opt+Command+P+R (Zap the PRAM) let it chime twice and then allow your system to restart. This should set all the images files back to normal. IF everything is okay now, then open SS and apply one theme and log out. Don't apply another theme until you have logged out, that's what the preview button is for.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 14, 2004, 10:36 AM

well i can't ''turn off'' my ss.. i can't even change the theme if i try.. like... i can't control my SS... The Blue Metal theme just... stays there... ragh! im just getting so pissed i could smash that god damn screen! well... i just tought... that if i go to OS 9 and remove the whole SS from there and then opt+cmd+p+r... just thinking would that blow up my computer?

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 14, 2004, 10:38 AM

and... I really can't turn SS off.. i can't get a touch to my finder as i said... and that means i can't get a touch to Quaker either...

gautch
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2004, 10:44 AM

I had this happen to me to... And i suspected SS.
Use Pathfinder (you can get a demo) for now till its fixed.
A technission at work had to come over and fix it.

I wish i knew how he did it. Ill ask around.

pathfinder: http://cocoatech.com/
( Last edited by gautch; Sep 14, 2004 at 10:52 AM. )

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 14, 2004, 10:46 AM

AND i can't use pacifist 'cause i can't see it cause finder doesn't work.

FB Eye
Senior User
Sep 14, 2004, 10:55 AM

Try booting up while holding down the SHIFT key. It has roughly the same effect as booting with extensions off in OS 9. It now lets you boot in a "safe mode", much like *cough*Windows*cough*

You should now be booted without the extra prefspanes, letting you delete SS's prefs manually. Then boot off your OS X CD, repair permissions, and then reboot normally. Hopefully you'll have the default Aqua theme back...

Good luck!!!

[edit] Ooops, turns out it doesn't turn off the extra prefspanes. But I definitely suggest that your repair permissions first, that fixed a dead Finder for me a while back. You can also boot while holding down COMMAND+S 'till you see a DOS like command line interface. Wait a bit until you see the command prompt, then type /sbin/fsck -y or /sbin/fsck -f if you have journaling enabled. Then let it do it's thing, then when it's all done type exit. That saved my ass once when a particular theme was frying my Finder. Hope all this technical mumbo jumbo helps!!!
( Last edited by FB Eye; Sep 14, 2004 at 11:10 AM. )

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 14, 2004, 11:03 AM

well... now i tried the SHIFT too.. the only effect was that restarting took more time and it said that it's starting on a safety mode. Ah, maybe i'll just reinstall everything and be more carful with SS next time. Thank you all anyway.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 11:08 AM

do you have any folders in the dock? this saved me many times before. if you dont have them i cant help you, but i would imagine that things get a LOT tougher.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 14, 2004, 11:27 AM

no folders :/

Dave-o�
Senior User
Sep 14, 2004, 11:34 AM

FB has some good suggestions... You can run off your install CD and access disk utilities to try and repair it as well. Please keep us posted.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 14, 2004, 11:45 AM

ye well i'll think about this tomorrow... better not to continue today 'cause i'm really near to use my baseball bat on my computer

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 01:22 PM

The problem is that you installed the Quaker theme using an installer package instead of using ShapeShifter. The installer package replaced files in your /System folder instead of safely theming your OS as ShapeShifter is designed to work.

What this means is that if you're running a version of OS X different than the one for which Quaker was designed, you'll have problems. This is almost certainly what happened to you.

I can tell that this is what occurred because you say that "when i start my computer i have a Quake loading screen". ShapeShifter isn't active during computer boot-time, which tells me that it's not the issue. Installer packages replace stuff inside of /System, telling me that that is the issue.

You may be able to get to the Aqua Restore package that comes with Quaker, but since Quaker hosed your OS, it's unlikely that the accompanying Aqua Restore installer package will fix things. You can try grabbing it here. You can probably launch Safari from your Dock without using the Finder to get to it, but you'll probably have to use PathFinder or Terminal to launch the downloaded installer package.

There's also a different program called "Aqua Restore" that may help. I don't think the Aqua Restore program is supported on 10.3, so if you're running 10.3, you should probably not attempt to use it.

If neither of these work, you'll probably have to either use Pacifist to restore /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app or else do an archive and install.

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT USE INSTALLER PACKAGES OR THEME CHANGING PROGRAMS THAT REPLACE OPERATING SYSTEM FILES!!!

ShapeShifter is specifically designed to avoid these problems! Installer packages replace vital system files with no checks at all to make sure that the replacement will work.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2004, 01:37 PM

smeger - - - I am surprised -> a shameless plug...

AND the reason I switched to SS from the installers... perhaps not having the entire system changed was fair trade for not having the risk of the installers.

I hope the suggestions you gave work for this guy. it is a sick feeling when you notice nothing you try is going to work.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2004, 01:39 PM

After applying a theme using SS, the Finder kind of dissappears while rebuilding and meanwhile a dialog comes up saying the theme is installed.
I always wait untill the Finder is totally back in sight (in the new theme look) before I close the dialog with OK, and then logout/login. Kind of scared to rush here.

@ aManDrinksMilk
I keep my fingers crossed for you, best of luck !

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 14, 2004, 02:14 PM

well... now i downloaded quaker aqua restore from the site. but how am i going to open it when i can't even see my finder??? trough OS 9? and terminal.. mmh... doesn't say anything to me... pathfinder.. whats that? Maybe that would help if i just would know how to open those :/

Dave-o�
Senior User
Sep 14, 2004, 02:28 PM

Save yourself the headaches and deep technical jargon...

Back-up your goods and reinstall... Consider this a lesson learned and one not to repeat.

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by eyevaan:
smeger - - - I am surprised -> a shameless plug...
Yeah, it was sorta out of character, huh?

I was tired... And there have been a few threads recently in which people have been blaming SS for hosing their system when it's actually been something else. Since I put so much sweat into making SS safe, I take 'em personally.

Anyway, sorry for the plug! It was pretty gratuitous.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by aManDrinksMilk:
well... now i downloaded quaker aqua restore from the site. but how am i going to open it when i can't even see my finder??? trough OS 9? and terminal.. mmh... doesn't say anything to me... pathfinder.. whats that? Maybe that would help if i just would know how to open those :/
Path Finder is a Finder alternative. Look on Version Tracker or somewhere else for it...I'm sure they have it somewhere. Anyway, whenever you download it just go through the Terminal to open it up and install it (and if you don't like Terminal...well, just hope that it doesn't download a .dmg since I don't believe that you can open those in OS9), and you should be able to use it in place of your Finder until you can get everything sorted out. I tend to keep a copy of Path Finder around on my comp at all times just in case I do hose my Finder. Seriously though, all you need to do with Terminal is a few cd commands to get to the right directory, and then a nice open command. Once you do that you should be fine since Path Finder is pretty easy to use. Then, from Path Finder run the Aqua Restore that smeger linked you to. And for future reference, don't go mixing and matching theming applications, make sure that the theme you are applying was designed to work on your specific version of the OS, and generally stay away from theme changers that modify System files. Most of them work (assuming you have the right version), but you're still taking a risk each time you use them.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 17, 2004, 11:25 AM

It was a .dmg. And could someone please now tell me how do i get to this ''teeeerminal'' i know im a newb but would be real nice to know because it looks like that's the only way to get my comp working without reinstalling. My biggest problem is that i don't know where i've put my OS X cd:s. So what's terminal and how do i get there???

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2004, 12:28 PM

It was a .dmg. And could someone please now tell me how do i get to this ''teeeerminal'' i know im a newb but would be real nice to know because it looks like that's the only way to get my comp working without reinstalling. My biggest problem is that i don't know where i've put my OS X cd:s. So what's terminal and how do i get there???
You'll find it in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
Double-click and you'll be in a somewhat unfriendly interface with a blinking cursor, waiting for your command. That's about all the help I can give you on Terminal.

OMG, why is it called "Terminal"

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2004, 01:10 PM

[Bi know im a newb but would be real nice to know [/B]
Duke - no apologies, keep asking questions - we have ALL been there.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2004, 06:28 PM

Since it sounds like you might be coming in with no UNIX experience, here's a quick crash course in what you need to know for navigating the directory structures in a UNIX environment:

"cd" means change directory, it's the command that's equivalent of double-clicking on a folder in the Finder, except that in UNIX you need to tell it which folder you are clicking on.

".." refers the parent directory of the directory that you are in. If I was in my Home directory for instance, .. would refer to the Users directory.

"/" refers to the root level. In the Finder, it'd be the view where you can see your hard drive(s) and any networks that you are connected to.

"~" refers to your Home folder.

"ls" is the command to list all of the files in the current directory.

As an example, to move from the Applications folder to the root level, you'd need to get from the Applications directory to its parent, so you'd type in "cd ..". To move from the Applications folder to your Home folder, you could either do "cd ~" to tell it to go straight to your Home folder, or "cd /Users/usernameGoesHere" if you wanted to spell out the exact path of the Home folder.

Anyway, when you first start up the Terminal you'll probably find yourself in your Home directory. You need to get to wherever you downloaded that .dmg file to...let's assume for now that you downloaded it to your Desktop. To get from your Home folder to your Desktop, just type in:

cd Desktop

Since the Desktop is in the Home Folder, it'll take you straight there. Once you get into the Desktop directory, type in "ls" to list all of the files there. The .dmg file should be listed amongst the other files on your Desktop. Type in "open xxxxxxx.dmg" where that xxxxxx is the name of the file. The System should pop up with a thing that shows it extracting the .dmg file.

Ok, now that the .dmg has been extracted, you need to get to the disk image itself. Type in "/Volumes" to get to the directory that has all of your disks in it. Type in "ls" and look for a file that has a name similar to what you're looking for. Use "cd nameOfDiskImage" where that nameOfDiskImage is the name of the disk image to get into the actual disk image, and then use "open" up the actual Path Finder application.

I guess that covers just about everything...if you have some other problem, post it here and someone will help. As for me...I've spent the last few minutes typing and need to go take a break. Hope you get this all fixed up.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 18, 2004, 04:14 AM

Well... Now I know exactly what I should do IF I ever got to terminal. Seems like all smart mac users keep terminal in their dock. Well I don't :/. (after this I WILL =D) so i can't get to terminal!!! Of course OS 9 doesn't help and OS X can't do that 'cause I can't get to the applications folder where the utilities folder is so I can't get to Terminal. Terminal helps when you can't get to your applications and folders but how am I going to get to Terminal when I can't get to my applications and folders. (by having it in my dock) Could that be the answer? Can I get it to my dock without getting to it? That would be enough but I think it ain't possible :/

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2004, 05:41 AM

Please forgive my asking, but how come you haven't done a clean OSX install by now ?
Would that be a loss of data for you ? Like in "No backup" ?

I'm not good in hardware problems myself, so at the risc of coming out dumb : can you get access to your troubled mac from another mac that's FireWire connected, providing you start up yours with T-key pressed ?

Don't misunderstand me : I feel nothing but sympathy for you. But if I were you, I'd given up on this mess moons ago.

Good luck !
( Last edited by Gerrit Vanoppen; Sep 18, 2004 at 06:17 AM. )

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 18, 2004, 07:41 AM

''i don't know where i've put my OS X cd:s'' that's my problem... that's why im still trying to get my cpu work without reinstalling it. and I do have a back up. And maybe i can put some stuff in my iPod :/. I just DON'T WANNA START SEARCHING SOME LITTLE CD:S FROM THIS MESS (If you would see where I live you would understand)

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 09:43 AM

If you can get ahold of a copy of the file that should be at /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc and replace the bad one that's there, that'll probably let your Finder launch.

It needs to be the one that's intended for your operating system version.

If you can get ahold of it, you can probably use OS 9 to put it into place.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 12:36 PM

what smeger said. this is a perfect job for os 9. just think of all those with the os x only machines.

get that localized.rsrc and the finder.rsrc switched and you should be good to go.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 18, 2004, 02:30 PM

finder.app cannot be opened with OS 9 :/. DAMN

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 02:49 PM

No? Could he just replace his finder?
click one

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 03:23 PM

oh wow.

youre not OPENING finder.app, youre swapping out the finder.rsrc.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
oh wow.

youre not OPENING finder.app, youre swapping out the finder.rsrc.
I thought OS 9 looked in the OS X.apps contents as if they were just folders.
click one

crooner
Senior User
Sep 18, 2004, 06:17 PM

I know I'm joining this late in the game, but, have you tried the following?...

Reset Open Firmware:
Restart and hold COMMAND, OPTION, O, F
You�ll be greeted with a white screen and black text.
When the prompt appears release keys and enter these:

reset-nvram (press Enter)
set-defaults (press Enter)
reset-all (press Enter)
This will restart your Mac and hopefully help the situation.

Good luck!

(And, yeah, if things don�t get worked out soon, I fear your only recourse is to backup whatever you need when booted in Mac OS 9 and then do a fresh install of X. Find those disks!

And, Smeger, don't apologize! Tell it like it is, baby.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2004, 06:55 PM

When I hosed my Finder when upgrading to Panther.......... To get back to normal I just booted from the Panther CD and re-installed the first two disks, no back-up or anything it actually went quite quickly about 30 minutes or so as I recall. I just did a clean install without formatting/erasing. Been running solid ever since.

Hope this helps.

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2004, 12:40 AM

Here's exactly the reason for your woes and how to repair the issue. #1) There is a glitch with SS where it fails to restart the Finder after quiting it when a theme is changed. My take on it is that certain themes are glitch when applied and do not allow the Finder to restart after them being applied. The exact same thing happened to me not too long ago. Heres what you do: If you can get back into the systems preferences pane go to ShapeShifter pane. Apply another theme. Now here is the key: When the window appears telling you that the theme has been applied, is this okay? Do not hit the key Ok until your HD icon reappears. If it does reappear then your finder is back up and running. If your HD & Desktop icons do not reappear then apply a different theme, again not hitting the Ok button until you HD icon and desktop icons reappear. Continue this method until your HD and desktop icons reappear. After your HD icon and desktop icons reappear, and they will if you follow this method, you must follow the steps I have mapped out above every time you change themes or else the issue you are dealing with now will rear its ugly agian. I hope this helps.
Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2004, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by TheZee:
Now here is the key: When the window appears telling you that the theme has been applied, is this okay? Do not hit the key Ok until your HD icon reappears. If it does reappear then your finder is back up and running.
Solid advice, I've picked it up from this forum a while ago and always follow this MO. TNX

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 04:14 AM

oh, gotta try them all

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 05:09 AM

didn't help!!! *crying*

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 05:41 AM

dantheman. wasn't localized.rsrc supposed to be IN the finder.app so i really have to open it right?

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 05:43 AM

and in OS 9 you see .app as a file. as a paper icon u know.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by TheZee:
Here's exactly the reason for your woes and how to repair the issue. #1) There is a glitch with SS where it fails to restart the Finder after quiting it when a theme is changed. My take on it is that certain themes are glitch when applied and do not allow the Finder to restart after them being applied. The exact same thing happened to me not too long ago. Heres what you do: If you can get back into the systems preferences pane go to ShapeShifter pane. Apply another theme. Now here is the key: When the window appears telling you that the theme has been applied, is this okay? Do not hit the key Ok until your HD icon reappears. If it does reappear then your finder is back up and running. If your HD & Desktop icons do not reappear then apply a different theme, again not hitting the Ok button until you HD icon and desktop icons reappear. Continue this method until your HD and desktop icons reappear. After your HD icon and desktop icons reappear, and they will if you follow this method, you must follow the steps I have mapped out above every time you change themes or else the issue you are dealing with now will rear its ugly agian. I hope this helps.
Peace,
Or you can just *click* the Finder icon in the dock to get it running again.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 02:26 PM

didn't help... maybe I really should find the disks 'cause nothing seems to help. Just HOW did I get my cpu to this??? I KILLED MY BELOVED MAC!!!

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 10:35 AM

Well... Now I know exactly what I should do IF I ever got to terminal. Seems like all smart mac users keep terminal in their dock. Well I don't :/. (after this I WILL =D) so i can't get to terminal!!!
Oh yeah...forgot that not everyone keeps it there...

Umm...any chance you have Sherlock or some other application that can search your HD somewhere in your Dock?

Dunno...maybe you could reboot in single-user mode or something?

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 20, 2004, 12:36 PM

No I don't have sherlock in my dock. otherwise I propably would have my finder working already. Ye but anyway im gonna keep Terminal in my dock after this
and maybe I should put Sherlock in my dock too hmm:. I still haven't reinstalled. It's so boooooring! Maybe i'll do it tomorrow. Or next week. Dunno

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 02:29 AM

I do agree with y'all that reinstalling OSX is a good thing to do. I did have to do that when my Finder went AWOL. However, You really should continue to try other themes before you do that. It fixed my Finder situation which is identical to what you described above. Remember, #1) Get to SS Preference Pane; #2) Choose a theme and install it; #3) Wait to click OK until your HD icon and all desktop icons reappear after SS Restarts the Finder. BOOM !!! Your Finder should be up and running again. Maked sure you FOLLOW THESE STEPS EVERYTIME YOU CHANGE THEMES !!! That is, unless you sadistically enjoay your Finder disappearing. Let's hope that Unsanity repairs this flaw in SS with the next update, if that ever comes to pass.
Peace,
TheZee

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 09:55 AM

TheZee, I've told you this before - your problem is not the same problem that aManDrinksMilk is having. The problem you're having is that if the Finder takes too long to quit after applying a theme, ShapeShifter will give up on trying to relaunch it. You can relaunch it yourself manually by clicking the Finder icon in the dock. I consider this to be something I can't fix, until Apple provides a nicer way of relaunching an application. I also consider it to be a minor issue, since a simple click in the Dock resolves it, or you can uncheck the option in ShapeShifter to automatically restart the Finder and not worry about it.

In addition, when you had your issue, you also posted on another thread that you'd been using ThemeChanger at the time, which can hose your OS, and which would explain why you might be confusing the two different issues.

aManDrinksMilk used a non-ShapeShifter method to install a theme, overwriting a file in his /System folder with a version from a different operating system. This is in no way, shape or form the same issue as the Finder relaunch thing.

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 10:13 AM

Dude,
Thank you for your wisdom my Mac Brother. I am not having that problem any more. I was simply writing to give my experience with the Finder disappearing after applying a theme using SS. I do apologize if I came across as to pushy with my position. From what I read, it sounded like mi compadre was experiencing the same thing as I did some time ago. Did not mean to push anybody into thinking my way or the highway. Thank God, for you and the many other knowledgable Macsters that helped me and continue to help others with issues such as these.
Peace,
TheZee

Forum Links
Forum Rules