Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > What happened to my finder???

What happened to my finder??? (Page 2)
smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 11:21 AM

Sorry to have misinterpreted you, Zee!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 01:17 PM

smeger,
No worries my Mac Brother. It's all good.
Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 24, 2004, 11:52 AM

so now I have reinstalled and everything is right. And I bet that also my OS v. had something to do with my problem. Mac OS X Panther 10.3.5
( Last edited by aManDrinksMilk; Sep 24, 2004 at 01:01 PM. )

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by aManDrinksMilk:
so now I have reinstalled and everything is right. And I bet that also my OS v. had something to do with my problem. Mac OS X Panther 10.3.5
Glad to hear you're up and going again

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2004, 02:21 PM

duke - I am so glad you are up and running again.

Try the Quaker again so time - but don't forget the Back-up...
eh - maybe not... we should ask the guy to make a guikit for us instead.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 24, 2004, 02:25 PM

NOT GONNA TRY QUAKER AGAIN

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2004, 02:26 PM

believe you me - I understand and empathize completely!

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 24, 2004, 02:35 PM

okay

crooner
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 02:59 PM

Phew!
Man, congrats on getting your Mac up and running. We all know what an unbelievable hassle it can be.

I thought of you last night, as I was mucking around with a mod of mine when, sure enough, my Finder failed to come up after the theme switch. Logged in and out... still no go. Luckily, a restart solved the issue. But the whole time I kept myself from freaking by repeating the Mantra that all Mac users should know... "I have two, full backups... I have two, full backups... I have two, full backups... I have two, full backups... I have t..."

I think the advice that some of the others here are offering should be heeded. Stick with guiKits and SS from this point on. Above all else, I'm really happy for you. Now go backup your system!

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 24, 2004, 03:47 PM

''I have too full backups''
Someone said to me that one of the Unsanity softwares I used (SS, Mighty Mouse and Window Shade) is not made for Mac OS X Panther 10.3.5. That's my problem right now. I've got the Shape Shifter install window just behind my Safari window ready to install. But I first wanna be sure that ShapeShifter works perfectly with Panther 10.3.5

I believe I have the right to worry

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2004, 04:09 PM

I have been running 10.3.5 on a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 since the software updater was released to "Live Update".

None of the APEs have shown any issues with running or the guikits. Just my experience.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 24, 2004, 04:15 PM

Ok well I'm gonna trust your ''experiences''

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 04:17 PM

I'm the author of ShapeShifter and Mighty Mouse. They're both officially supported from 10.2.8 through 10.3.5.

Right from the horse's mouth.

In addition, ShapeShifter includes a mechanism whereby it automatically disables itself whenever you update your OS and then queries the Unsanity servers (with your permission) before turning itself back on.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2004, 04:17 PM

right on Smeger!

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 04:56 PM

Someone said to me that one of the Unsanity softwares I used (SS, Mighty Mouse and Window Shade) is not made for Mac OS X Panther 10.3.5. That's my problem right now. I've got the Shape Shifter install window just behind my Safari window ready to install. But I first wanna be sure that ShapeShifter works perfectly with Panther 10.3.5

This is why you (and anyone else for that matter) fu*k your systems up; You have no idea what you're doing and you obviously don't read the "Read Me" files accompanied with all Unsanity Software or the "Read Me" that usually always accompanies a theme or .guiKit.

crooner
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Lord Sith:
This is why you (and anyone else for that matter) fu*k your systems up; You have no idea what you're doing and you obviously don't read the "Read Me" files accompanied with all Unsanity Software or the "Read Me" that usually always accompanies a theme or .guiKit.
Sith,
Forgive for saying, but I think you're being a tad hard on the guy. Whether or not we read the Read Me's, we all up our systems, one way or another, once in awhile. Just the way it goes. 'Nuff said.

aManDrinksMilk,
Smeger is the Final Word� on compatibility, but I'll add my voice to the chorus singing the praises of SS with 10.3.5. You know... I used to only use SS on my TiBook, thinking that my desktop (Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver) should be as stock as can be. Now I've got it decked out with CandyBar, an evolving guiKit mod of mine and a slew of utilities. I won't say that the system is as stable as ever, because if I do, then it'll likely crash before I get a chance to spell check what I�m typing now.

Do not tempt the gods of system stability. They giveth and taketh away.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 25, 2004, 06:43 AM

okay

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2004, 12:21 PM

Dammm !!! Is that comment from Lord Sith for real ??? From a Senior Member no less. You know, I find that most of my Mac brethren are fantastically generous with their knowledge and support for each other so it is a trip when I see such a scathing, bitch of a comment. Who woke Satan from his slumber ???
Keeping it real yet, light. . .
Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2004, 01:46 PM

Check http://www.unsanity.com/panther.php

We test with OS X versions far before releases to the public. this allows us to evaluate any problems that might occur. The biggest problem during any OS X update is those that don't reboot after the update and then wonder why their newly launched Applications aren't themed....
( Last edited by Rosyna; Sep 25, 2004 at 03:45 PM. )

aManDrinksMilk  (op)
Sep 26, 2004, 02:32 AM

hehe
"If believe that you are a man then you should be drinking milk."
-Me

Forum Links
Forum Rules