Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Firewire drive Problems

External Firewire drive Problems
WSKCONDOR
Feb 15, 2002, 04:39 AM

I have two questions to put out there, and some background. First the BG:
I bought an external 2.5" FW enclosure last April when i had a new 32GB drive swapped into my Pismo. I didn't actually do the swapping, so I didn't see if anything special was done, but the old 12GB drive was in the enclosure and worked like a CHAMP, always stable, always fast.

I recently sold the Pismo, but before I did, I swapped out the hard drives again, now with the 32GB IBM drive in the external enclosure. Mysister had purchased a new iBook, and when i hooked my FW drive up to it, it would mount, then give an error saying there was a firewire Error, some date may be lost, etc., etc. Usually when the drive we being read from or written to. Sometimes it would not mount at all. Basically the same behavior in X or OS9.2

BUT: when I started my Pismo in FW Target mode, and daisy chained the external to the PISMO, it worked solid again.

Since the Pismo had to get shipped to the buyer, i was waiting for my new computers to access my old stuff. I got a new iBook, and an iMac. I saw similar results (sometimes an error) with the iBook, but if I did not run anything else, i could copy some files from the old drive, at least a little at a time.
when I first plugged it into my iMAC (new, just got it yesterday) the drive monted, but then I saw similar unpredictable results, and finally the drive would not mount at all.
Sometimes it shows up again if a restart of the whole system is done with the drive connected, but not reliably.
Out of curiosity, I dug out an old 1.2GB Apple drive from an old 2400, same size and all, and put it in the enclosure, but it would not mount.
The enclosure is a 2.5" Firewire enclosure made my New Motion technology. All it says on the website is that it doesn't require any configuration.

Questions:
1) Does anyone have experience with this?
2) Does anyone think it could be a marginal ability to be "bus powered", or would that be obvious? Is there an error message for that?
3) What do the "Device0" or "Device1" jumper settings on the actual drive mean? I do not remember the old one having any jumpers set.
4) Am I missing a driver or some sort of firmware update that I need?

Any help would be appreciated. I am in Japan right now, so a lot of time on a tech support line is usually not an option.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2002, 10:38 AM

check the new motion support site for updated drivers.

-r.

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: rjenkinson ]

WSKCONDOR  (op)
Feb 17, 2002, 01:08 PM

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules