Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 17" LCD screen user stories plz

17" LCD screen user stories plz
slipjack
Senior User
Nov 22, 2001, 11:16 PM

I'd like to hear from people who use a 17" LCD Apple Studio Monitor all day long. How does it hold up? How does it compare to a CRT? How quickly do your eyes tire compared to a CRT?

Thanks.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2001, 12:00 AM

I don't use mine all day long but use it for hours at a time and it's awesome. Text is so sharp, it blows away my top of the line Sony FD Trinitron CRT. If I drag a browser window from the Studio display to the Sony CRT, the text suddenly looks blurry. The 17" doesn't have the minor problem the 15" has of looking darker when viewed from a lower angle. This is a big plus when editing photos since you don't want the photo to look lighter or darker as you move your head or lean back in your chair. I've only had my 17" for a couple of months but highly recommend it.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2001, 12:20 AM

I am a new owner of one ....

All I can say is "WOW. I should have done this the day it came out."

My eyes are already thanking me. (Which helps offset the punishment that my wallet is doing after the purchase!)

It's bright. It's easy to read. The text is so sharp that I can't describe it.

(This part may seem weird, but) it also makes the computer feel "more responsive". I'm not sure why. (Or if it's just me!)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

malson
Senior User
Nov 23, 2001, 12:28 AM

I agree with these guys. I spend hours at a time in front of my 17" LCD. The text is very sharp and clear. No distortion when moving my head from side to side. I also have a 17" VGA monitor attached to my TwinView card. Like iDaver said, major differences. Blurry text, images not as crisp. I actually enjoy looking at this LCD monitor. I love it!
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

slipjack  (op)
Senior User
Nov 23, 2001, 03:25 AM

Thanks guys, that helps me a lot. I might just have to pick up that 17" on discount w/ a new Mac. And if a new, cooler Mac comes out January that I've got to have... there's always eBay.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 23, 2001, 01:04 PM

This topic belongs in Peripherals. Transferring thread there.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2001, 01:10 PM

I have nothing but good things to say about the 17inch. There is some blurring when things windows and such are dragged, but after a while it sorts to look kinda cool, not annoying, since the window dragging would look worse on a CRT. This is only on OS X of course, which is a joy to behold on the lcd.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Nov 23, 2001, 01:17 PM

I just bought one last week after using a 17" Apple CRT (came with my blue and white G3) for a number of years. While it was a great monitor, I'm a web developer, so I spend anywhere from 8-12 hours a day staring at the screen. I would often feel very fatigued, especially my eyes, by the time evening rolled around.

Could be a placebo affect, but after buying the 17" LCD I don't experience that swelling, fatigued feeling in my eyes after a day's work.

Boy, the monitor sure took a hit out of my pocketbook, but after a week of work I can honestly say it's well worth the price. I happened to buy one at CompUSA, and just to see what else they had, I looked at all the other LCDs. Well, nothing could compare to the Apple display. I was astonished at the picture quality differences between the many LCD screens, and Apple's was just beyond comparison.

The only thing that takes a little getting used to is games. I play Quake every now and then, and it feels quite different on a LCD screen...at first. Fast motion is a little blurred, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

So yes, do buy one. IMO.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2001, 01:32 PM

It's plain awesome. It's one of those things that really capture the essence of good industrial design: it's a pleasure to use and a pleasure to share a space with, even when its turned off.

And works for me when playing TacOps, the flicker isn't bad at all. If you're a hardcore gamer, check first though.

J

bkolasin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2001, 04:11 PM

has anyone had the opportunity to compare the apple display to the formac 1740? i am hoping there will be all sortsa goodies on display at MWSF and I'm holding on to my wallet until then...

<herr newton>
Nov 26, 2001, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by bkolasin:
<STRONG>has anyone had the opportunity to compare the apple display to the formac 1740? i am hoping there will be all sortsa goodies on display at MWSF and I'm holding on to my wallet until then...</STRONG>
I believe that the Formac 1740 uses the same panel as the ASD 17.

bkolasin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2001, 06:23 PM

I believe that the Formac 1740 uses the same panel as the ASD 17.

actually, according to a comparison sheet (PDF file) prepared by Formac, the LCD has some different and better features than the apple display, such as a higher contrast ratio and faster pixel response time. it's also .4" larger and $100 cheaper than the ASD 17... seems like it's quite a winner. Anyone see it at MacExpo?

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2001, 02:45 AM

Very interesting comparison !

I am also waiting before buying a new Apple SD. Maybe Apple will change the design of their flat panels ... and their prices... even if I read that the price of TFT was going up again ...
S k y p a t

Forum Links
Forum Rules